Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
heckler
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out on saturday in the Lakes District UK and did this! :mad: (the bike is only 7 months old and certainly doesn't get big air)

http://paul-rhodes.fotopic.net/p14396083.html

The frame is now with the LBS re warranty replacement, i don't yet know whether the front triangle is going to be replaced with a 2004 one or whether I may get a 2005 new frame...

the question is.. Have Trek used the same tubing detail on the 2005 models????

Attachments

·
mauna ona liquid
116 Posts
howdya do it?

chunkypaul said:
Was out on saturday in the Lakes District UK and did this! :mad: (the bike is only 7 months old and certainly doesn't get big air)

http://paul-rhodes.fotopic.net/p14396083.html

The frame is now with the LBS re warranty replacement, i don't yet know whether the front triangle is going to be replaced with a 2004 one or whether I may get a 2005 new frame...

the question is.. Have Trek used the same tubing detail on the 2005 models????
I have the same frame and was wondering what it's limit's are. Was expecting to see pix of busted "Black Magic" flexstays. What were you doing when it broke? I

·
Registered
797 Posts
that seems to be the favorite place for these frames...

to break. The 2005 front triangle has the same step-down in tubing diameter ,I imagine to fit the front derailler. Never seen or heard of broken black magic stays. You should beg, borrow, or steal to get the 2005 frame, or at least the 2004 front with the new (2005) rear end with the seatstay pivots. It works much better. Good luck. Oh, does your screen name "chunkypaul" indicate any kind of weight isssues on the part of the rider of this bike?

·
heckler
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fortunately for me, the frame went on a climb - with a massive bang! although 7 months old, it does get used every weekend (recently at glentress, mabie and innerleithen in scotland) but has been well looked after

i weigh in at 14.5st (about 204kg) so the liquid should really cope with that, i kinda thought when i bought it, it was too strong a frame/more suspension that i would ever need

LBS told me that trek may just change the front triangle but it depends on stock, and even told me a might i given a 25 or 30 frame - to which i had to bite my lip at - i'll be asking trek for another 55 minimum

i know that the 2005 liquid had dropped the carbon seat stays and lowered the stand over height, but i don't know whether the 2005 front triangle fits the 2004 carbon rear - the rocker arm is also different

i'll see what Trek UK say....

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
chunkypaul said:
i weigh in at 14.5st (about 204kg) so the liquid should really cope with that, i kinda thought when i bought it, it was too strong a frame/more suspension that i would ever need

I believe you meant to type 204 pounds....not kilograms...that'd be almost 450 pounds..lol.

·
Registered
448 Posts
That is where most if not all of the Liquid frames seem to fail. You should really try to get them to replace it with a 2005 frame; it shouldnt be too hard. They might not even have any old frames left.

About 6 years ago I cracked a 8500 frame - it was an orange frame with an orange manitou fork. Trek told me that they only had the 8900 framesets left which were all yellow. I complained that I didnt want a yellow bike with an orange fork. So they agreed to send me the 8900 frameset with the Blue Sid at no charge! Really good customer service; hopefully you have the same luck.

·
heckler
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trek are replacing the front triangle only with the new 2005 Liquid 55, unfortunately, its going to take a while, so it looks like i will using my aluminium HT for the Rhayadar Marathon (ouch)....

and due to stock availability i can't even upgrade the new rear end :(

but maybe later in the year...

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
That's where they break

I knew before I even saw your picture where the break would be. I've seen pics of several all broken there, so It's not so rare! One of the reasons I sold my Liquid, that and I just never really liked the way it rode. Good luck with the new one, I hope you like it!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Paging Chunkpaul...

Would you be able to tell us what exactly happens as you are riding your bike, and the tubing breaks in that spot? Does the bike become hard to control, or can you safely come to a stop? Had you been flying down a fire road at 30mph when this happened, would you still be here telling us stories about your bike? I think you gather what we would like to know. Thanks.

·
heckler
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dumper said:
Would you be able to tell us what exactly happens as you are riding your bike, and the tubing breaks in that spot? Does the bike become hard to control, or can you safely come to a stop? Had you been flying down a fire road at 30mph when this happened, would you still be here telling us stories about your bike? I think you gather what we would like to know. Thanks.
when the frame cracked i was sat down on the saddle in the middle of a climb (luckly for me) and it made quite a large bang - i actually thought that i had bust the seatpost or seatclamp as the seat level dropped instantly a couple of inches... unseated you can see from the photo the shock pressure keeps the tube apart but when the frame is under weight the top tube flexes down and this moves the seat tube forward in the direction of the front wheel by a couple of inches

luckly for me it was a short ride back to Ambleside and the ferry across the lake back to Bowness, but only managed this by using part of a disassembled hand pump, which when pushed down the seat tube to the BB, stopped the seat tube moving forward when being ridden, gingerly i may add...

i don't even want to imagine for the bike would of handled on a superfast bridleway descent!!! i would think that if being ridden hard and fast enough the weld at the top/head tube would also break under your weight, and then you would be in a new world of pain.... :eek:

·
Registered
851 Posts
When you purchase a Trek you pay for what you get.

Zero knowledge on building MTB's

Search this forum its full of broken Fuels and Liquids.

Then search all the other forums for broken frames. That will give you an indication for your future purchase.

·
2,548 Posts
KleinAttitude said:
When you purchase a Trek you pay for what you get.

Zero knowledge on building MTB's

Search this forum its full of broken Fuels and Liquids.

Then search all the other forums for broken frames. That will give you an indication for your future purchase.
Hmmmmm...yeah, never heard of Cannondales breaking:rolleyes: ....Hmmmm, yeah, never heard of Ellsworths breaking:rolleyes: :rolleyes: (and it sounds as though Tony Ellsworth has such outstanding customer service :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ). Every manufacturer has frames that fail........Go grind your axe elsewhere, troll. :p

·
Registered
851 Posts
Fuelish or Foolish as we love to call him. Has tried hard to come up with some comparisons here. But again he knows its a lost cause.

I quite like looking at all the Trek posters putting up their cracked frame pics. Its kind of amusing.

When are you gonna be posting yours Fuelish.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.