Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cracked the Kooka crank arm on my AMP B4 recently after coming down hard off a small jump.

The Kooka design is square tapered, and measures 180mm from hole center to hole center.

I'm on a tight budget and want to replace the arm without spending an arm and a leg. But of course I want something stylish and functional to match the usable, old-school look of the AMP.

Being a relative newbie to mountain bikes, I am looking for some input to make sure I go the right direction.

Please see the attached image, and let me know if you think the White Industries product (off ebay) will bolt-on and be durable.

Thanks in advance. Dave911

Attachments

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I'm not familiar with the cranksets, particularly their required bottom bracket spindle length. It's possible they use the same spindle length but needs to be checked, and a good possibility you'll need to get an appropriate bb. You sure you want to shorten your crankarms by that much? White Industries makes a very nice product, though.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
You still have Kooka cranks?
I thought they all broke back in the 90"s! My team got a discount deal from them back in the mid 90's. We all broke the cranks in XC races with in 2 weeks!

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
dave911 said:
Found some more details in the review section of this great website. Thanks for the feedback. Dave911

Description:
Forged 1 Piece
7149 Aluminum Alloy
Fits 110mm and 113mm spindles
110/74 & 94/58 Bolt Patterns
440 grams/pair
Lifetime Warranty
Sizes: 170mm, 175mm, 180mm
http://www.mtbr.com/mfr/kooka/crankset/cross-country-crankset/MPL_2590_115crx.aspx
White's crank page says their crank uses a 113 spindle for a 47.5 mm chainline, so hopefully you have a 113 currently. Too bad Kooka didn't last long enough for a claim on the lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the mayor said:
...We all broke the cranks in XC races with in 2 weeks!
Ha! Well I bought the AMP about 4 weeks ago, so I guess it didn't take too long. After reading more about the rarity of the cranks, I probably should have passed them on to somebody else for lighter duty work.

As is they still look really cool, so I may sell them on ebay, letting the buyer know there's a hairline fracture. Maybe get a couple beers for them?

I will likely just try to find a newer driveline with chain rings that'll work with a sq taper bottom bracket. Gotta try to maintain that "period" look though...Best, Dave911

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I don't know what you have for a b/b...but it is probably pretty old.
If you search around you can find deals on square taper cranks...or take a look at lower end 2 piece cranks like Truvativ FireX...which can be had for under $150 complete.
Those Kooka cranks do look cool on the mantle of the man cave.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.