Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
since 4/10/2009
32,423 Posts
lol, far too often. methinks a few reports online have colored your assessment of the frequency of this kind of thing.

I ride with a LOT of people who own I9 wheelsets, and none of them have had this kind of problem.

every. single. manufacturer. has. problems. all of them. how I judge them depends on how they respond to those problems.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'm probably in the minority here, but I would just ride those until failure. I say that because there is no unusual or excessive wear on the ring that I can see, and even cracked all the way through in those couple spots there is enough of an interference fit that there is basically no way for its to cause a short term problem in the photographed state. Now, if you're a horse, you could ovalize the hub where the ring mounts, so there is that...
Basically what i9 told me, they will be just fine for race. I’m going to run them

·
Registered
712 Posts
Basically what i9 told me, they will be just fine for race. I’m going to run them
Dang that’s good to know.

And as an aside or separate point. My I9 issue was the bearings. Conked out at about 1300 miles, which caused the rear wheel to develop
play. I9 told me it’s because I may have gotten water into the hubs. Fair enough but I can count on one hand how often I wash the bike.

They were responsive though and sent out replacement bearings within the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
for the price you pay for their components this should not be an issue that one would have to deal with though. everyone on here always talks about how "you get what you pay for" and then poo-poo's other brands. for the money that I9 charges i hope they next-dayed you a replacement wheel with a return label for yours. then you have something to ride while they fix yours and send it back to you. any down time or additional out of pocket expense is unacceptable. As others have stated this has happened far too often to their hubs for me to ever consider buying their products.
Sorry I don't agree with that. I paid more for Chris King's, live in Portland, and had a hell of a time getting an issue dealt with with them. To my knowledge there are no hubs that are issue free. I9's are fine hubs, and their customer service is the best that I've ever dealt with.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have another thread about me constantly breaking bikes and parts. i9 have been bombproof for me! I have a set of gravel wheels from them with the 1/1 hubs and I literally can’t kill them. They have been ridden hard all over rocky PA and never have let me down. Both Hydra and 1/1 hubs are rock solid. Swapping out the bearings honestly takes 10-15 min for me.

·
Magically Delicious
10,580 Posts
for the price you pay for their components ...an issue that one would have to deal with though.
for the money that I9 charges...
any down time or additional out of pocket expense is unacceptable...
this has happened far too often...
Nice guy

·
Registered
759 Posts
This is the problem with the fanboy mentality. I never said they were bad hubs but for the price they charge the quality is not there compared to others. There are other option with much better track records of quality like onyx and dt swiss that are either better (onyx) or as good if not better for less (dt swiss) that make more sense to buy than i9. Dt 240s are lighter, cheaper, have a better track record of quality and have a more robust engagement system than I9.

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,360 Posts
Dt 240s are lighter, cheaper, have a better track record of quality and have a more robust engagement system than I9.
I guess you haven't seen this then.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I broke a drive ring on a brand new hub (the day after a 50 mile race). I sent photos to I9 and they sent me a whole new hubshell no questions asked.

·
Single Track Mind
879 Posts
This is the problem with the fanboy mentality. I never said they were bad hubs but for the price they charge the quality is not there compared to others. There are other option with much better track records of quality like onyx and dt swiss that are either better (onyx) or as good if not better for less (dt swiss) that make more sense to buy than i9. Dt 240s are lighter, cheaper, have a better track record of quality and have a more robust engagement system than I9.
Over the last 14 years, I have put well over 40,000 miles on 3 generations of i9 wheels and have only had one issue 12 years ago- a small crack to an HG driver on a first generation i9 wheel. They, immediately took care of me. I'm really not sure where these negative reports are coming from. Over the past 14 years, I have personally been on about 10 rides on which someone blew a hub- mostly rebranded OEM garbage, but also a smattering of DT Swiss and Shimano. You don't see me rushing out and denigrating DT Swiss and Shimano because of a few isolated issues. They both make great stuff. I am just far more confident in i9s from a performance, durability, and Customer Service perspective. I have simply never been let down in any of those categories. Am I a fanboy? Yea, I probably fit that category, but only because i9 has earned my respect.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Apparently having experience with MTB over 30 years and reporting that a company such as I-9 has amazing customer care makes you a "fanboy".

I currently have DT Swiss and I-9 on my bikes (I've owned and used almost every hub mentioned in every single one of these threads). My next wheel build will likely be with 240's even though I have a Hydra sitting on my workbench. None of which changes the fact that I9 is one of the best in the biz with customer care in my experience. They're fine hubs, and as a guy who likes firm engagement they have the best feel out of any hub I've run.

·
Registered
9,661 Posts
I guess you haven't seen this then.

I think he was referring to the 240s hub - not to be confused with the new 240exp that has had some teething issues having only one floating ratchet.

·
Registered
364 Posts
It's all fun and games until a tooth breaks off and jams up a pawl and you go intermittent fixed gear. Happened to me.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
It's all fun and games until a tooth breaks off and jams up a pawl and you go intermittent fixed gear. Happened to me.
A piece of the drive ring itself came out and jammed it up? I've thought about this but it doesn't seem like there's enough clearance to allow that to happen.

*Edit- I reckon if a small enough piece dislodged itself it sure could.

·
Registered
364 Posts
yup, about 3/4 of one of the teeth busted off and took a ride around in there. It made a bunch of noise and made it go fixie off and on. Fortunately, I pulled the drive shell off, dug out the piece of tooth and ran the hub without issue until I9 got me a new hubshell and I got around to lacing it into my wheel. FWIW, this one on my 4th I9 rear wheel, and the only issue I've ever had from an I9 product.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts