Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an issue with my driver body few weeks ago with crazy scoring on the driver. Changed bearings and thought all was good. Pulled driver today to lube and service in prep for next weeks 100…
Found drive ring cracked in about 10 places, guess that wheel isn't going to Marji.
Wheel Bicycle hub Bicycle tire Automotive tire Hub gear

·
Registered
ya like dags?
5,889 Posts
I know people are die hard I9 fans, but I've seen way too much stuff like this happen with their hubs. I've seen the same thing with their spoke flanges.

Major bummer, hopefully you have another wheel so you don't have to bail on MG.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Had an issue with my driver body few weeks ago with crazy scoring on the driver. Changed bearings and thought all was good. Pulled driver today to lube and service in prep for next weeks 100…
Found drive ring cracked in about 10 places, guess that wheel isn't going to Marji. View attachment 1947949
Are you referring to those small indentations or slits all around the outer circumference? I just did my hub servicing the other day and I remember mine looks the same too. I don't think they are cracked but they were machined that way.

Check out I9's servicing link at the 2min 59secs mark, it shows their drive ring having the same indentations too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know people are die hard I9 fans, but I've seen way too much stuff like this happen with their hubs. I've seen the same thing with their spoke flanges.

Major bummer, hopefully you have another wheel so you don't have to bail on MG.
I break everything, but this is a 1st. I reached out to i9, they always done me right. I have a backup set of dtswiss. Hate to run them though…only 25mm wide.
I can "only" see 2 cracks….

Are you referring to those small indentations or slits all around the outer circumference? I just did my hub servicing the other day and I remember mine looks the same too. I don't think they are cracked but they were machined that way.

Check out I9's servicing link at the 2min 59secs mark, it shows their drive ring having the same indentations too.

I stand corrected! My eyes aren't what they used to be! I zoomed in on pics and see only 2 cracks… but still.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
These look like cracks to me. Would have to see it in real life to be 100% sure though.
View attachment 1947971
View attachment 1947972
Well I stand corrected on my statements as well. Those does look like hairline cracks. They are not as clean and straight as the others. So good news, instead of 10 cracks, you quite possibly have 2.

Hit I9 up and see what they say. Especially when yours have a prior failure with the scoring.

Believe me I know what it means when eyesight starts to go in my 40s. Had to have son read the damn psi table on the Rockshox.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I stand corrected on my statements as well. Those does look like hairline cracks. They are not as clean and straight as the others. So good news, instead of 10 cracks, you quite possibly have 2.

Hit I9 up and see what they say. Especially when yours have a prior failure with the scoring.

Believe me I know what it means when eyesight starts to go in my 40s. Had to have son read the damn psi table on the Rockshox.

Reached out to i9 yesterday, they have always been outstanding with service.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mezcal 2.35....I'm a Clyde on ss hardtail and just prefer the beefy rim.
yeah that's a tough one, do you have any idea what was scratching up the freehub? Its not clear to me what would cause that unless there's loose chips in there. Assuming it works otherwise you could always just run it and assume it's not going to have a catastrophic failure, though 100+ miles is a lot of dice rolls.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
yeah that's a tough one, do you have any idea what was scratching up the freehub? Its not clear to me what would cause that unless there's loose chips in there. Assuming it works otherwise you could always just run it and assume it's not going to have a catastrophic failure, though 100+ miles is a lot of dice rolls.
I always have a scenario in my head where if I don't clean the rubber gasket and the surrounding wheel hub properly before the pawl assembly goes back on or if a piece of trail crud from the cassette "falls in" because I was careless that this would happen. But man, what are the chances?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I'm probably in the minority here, but I would just ride those until failure. I say that because there is no unusual or excessive wear on the ring that I can see, and even cracked all the way through in those couple spots there is enough of an interference fit that there is basically no way for its to cause a short term problem in the photographed state. Now, if you're a horse, you could ovalize the hub where the ring mounts, so there is that...

·
Registered
810 Posts
Ditto. Best in the industry I've dealt with. Far exceeded my expectations.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
for the price you pay for their components this should not be an issue that one would have to deal with though. everyone on here always talks about how "you get what you pay for" and then poo-poo's other brands. for the money that I9 charges i hope they next-dayed you a replacement wheel with a return label for yours. then you have something to ride while they fix yours and send it back to you. any down time or additional out of pocket expense is unacceptable. As others have stated this has happened far too often to their hubs for me to ever consider buying their products.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.