Votes: 14 28.6%
  • No - I ride Easy/Mod

Votes: 14 28.6%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How common is this? I dont do anything extreme, just off road trail riding. No jumping.

When I was buying a bike the bike mechanic was pretty adamant about frame warranty's. He said some manufactures warranty them and others dont. I cant remember which ones he was steering me towards.

Just curious what your experience is with this?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you expand on how you cracked it? What kind of rider are you?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. To be honest this kinda concerns me. I could see frames cracking if a guy abuses the bike but cracking on a frame that is used normally is odd.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've cracked a couple of different model dual-suspension Haro frames but that was down to their poor design (seat tube angle). Couldn't get the second one replaced because they stopped making dual-suspension frames at that point...

It got replaced by my LBS with a GT and I haven't had any problems with that (in the 3 years i've owned it so far). Most brands i've seen have a 5 year warranty, some brands like Cannondale have a lifetime warranty.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,026 Posts
Yes, I cracked one at the seat tube/TT junction, but it was at least partially my fault for riding a frame that was probably too small for me. Noticed when I started a ride. Now I understand that "minimum seatpost insertion" doesn't mean a thing, because a bigger lever will always break a frame, so just because you have more than the "min" is no guarantee. Luckily, turner is an outstanding company and upgraded me to a new large front triangle and rockers for free. Outstanding.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,299 Posts
Dave is that way! He runs an honest and respectable operation. The other nice thing is they are still offering the Turner trade in program. $600 smackers for your old Turner frame toward your new one. I've been riding Turners since '96...

·
Registered
151 Posts
The Surly Pugsleys, the white ones, some of those frames cracked. That was a manufacturers defect and they replace them.

Cracking a frame depends a lot on the material, the size and strength of the tubing, and what enviromental exposures the bikes been through---like salt from riding on a beach.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
You wanna know how I knew OP was 2015 before I opened the thread?

Don't worry about cracking a frame. Buy a decent bike, and ride the sh!t out of it.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I've had 11 bikes since I my 1st 20" BMX in 1984. I have or have access to 8 of them, and they are all still working just fine. I ride them the way they were intended. None have cracked.
How?
If you don't want to post it you can PM me. Don't hold back, say it. I'll surely disguise your name when I re-post it here. ;)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Anyone who has been riding for a decent amount of time and actually gets off the paved bike path has probably broken a frame. Like shonda said, buy a decent bike and ride it as hard as you can, whatever happens, happens. Even manufacturer's who won't give you a replacement probably have a crash replacement you can take advantage of. Think of a cracked frame as a badge of honor.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My guess is, most everyone on this forum is a bike killer. If you're weird enough to ride fat bikes, and love doing it, most likely the synapses aren't firing in the correct order in your brain. Which in turns leads to some pretty low percentage decisions in your head as soon as you throw a leg over one of these machines, like "Yeah, I can make that" Throw in a little alcohol, and BAM, busted frame(s). I've only recently begun riding again after a REALLY long lay off due to some physical issues, and am working on my next broken frame now. Can't wait.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Don't worry about cracking a frame. Buy a decent bike, and ride the sh!t out of it.
Everyone's gotta start at some point. I bet you had similar questions back in 2011.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I looked at the Surley warranty and its 3 years from the purchase date. Only good to the original owner, so i'm SOL there...

·
Rocking on a Rocky
1,628 Posts
3 two Mountain one fat.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I broke a locally made custom steel and just recently broke a Borealis Echo. I'm 160 and ride pretty mellow flowy dirt most of the time in Montana. Both times I was surprised and disappointed. I ride fast but my wheels rarely leave the ground and the trails I ride are pretty smooth.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Thanks. To be honest this kinda concerns me. I could see frames cracking if a guy abuses the bike but cracking on a frame that is used normally is odd.
Don't overthink this issue or get all the dither about it. A poll and accompanying stories are not going to get you anywhere. Sometimes frames crack and it doesn't always make sense - there are a lot of factors involved. The lifetime warranty goes a long ways, that means no worries on your part. It's also the reason why sometimes a used bike isn't necessarily the best deal in the world since the warranty doesn't carry over.

I worked in a shop for quite some time and saw bikes come in for warranty often enough. My best advice is stick with a brand that either has a lifetime warranty or at least a cash replacement policy that you can live with and don't spin mentally over the possibility of failure - just ride.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts