Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as I mentioned in another thread, I have just been informed that a crack in the front triangle of my 2002 Fuel is in it's infancy stage. The crack is just above the weld for the linkage on the rear of the seat tube. Apparently my options are as follows:

1. Replace the front triangle with a new Al triangle from a Fuel 90. No cost.

2. Replace the entire frame (both triangles) with a new Fuel 100 full carbon frame. Cost: $800 Canadian (not sure if this covers rear shock as well - I doubt it)

I am leaning towards the latter option, but wonder how the carbon frame will hold out compared to the Al at that linkage mount.

BTW - the location of this crack is pretty common - if anyone wants further clarification, I can send a pic.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Never heard of a broken Carbon Fuel front triangle if that's what worries you. If you're willing to spend 800$ for a few grams lighter frame and a nicer look, I'd say go ahead.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
rpmrob said:
So, as I mentioned in another thread, I have just been informed that a crack in the front triangle of my 2002 Fuel is in it's infancy stage. The crack is just above the weld for the linkage on the rear of the seat tube. Apparently my options are as follows:

1. Replace the front triangle with a new Al triangle from a Fuel 90. No cost.

2. Replace the entire frame (both triangles) with a new Fuel 100 full carbon frame. Cost: $800 Canadian (not sure if this covers rear shock as well - I doubt it)

I am leaning towards the latter option, but wonder how the carbon frame will hold out compared to the Al at that linkage mount.

BTW - the location of this crack is pretty common - if anyone wants further clarification, I can send a pic.
I wouldn't worry about the carbon frame. It has the same warranty as the aluminum frame. You can be sure that Trek took the stress and failures seen on aluminum frames into account when designing the carbon frames.

btw.....it's not just a lighter frame. The new carbon frames feel great. They really absorb a lot of vibration.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts