Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a 2005 GT idxc for the past three yrs. Unforunately the bike has cracked on a weld where the float shock mounts to the down tube. Sure take it to a authorized dealer right? Wrong, the bike was a gift from a friend of mine that moved from Maine to here (Las Vegas). When he gave it to me it was brand new, apparently he was friends with a shop owner there and got a sweet deal. He never would tell me how much, and I never asked. Now thats it cracked they want the original reciept. I dont have it since it was a gift. And my friend, well I cant tell you where he is at, we havent spoken in the last year and half. I dont have his contact info and dont know where to start to find it. Would he really give it to me, or even have it at this point) Pacific Bicycles say that they need the reciept and thats that.What should I do buy a new frame and swap parts, if so what frame.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have to agree...you got a free bike...you still have a free set of components. You are very fortunate.

My friend raves about his Giant Anthem. I'm not exactly sure which model but he's pretty picky so it's probably top shelf.

·
Sponsored by Xanax
358 Posts
I'd say Schmitty's got the ticket. If your friend was friends with the dealer, call them and see if they either have a receipt or will create one for you. Yeah, I know the latter option is a tad shady, but no one (including GT) is going to know the difference.

IMHO, insisting on having the original receipt is pretty lame when you have a fairly expensive bike, unless transfer of ownership voids any warranty (also lame). Serial numbers should be all they need to verify a) they made it, and b) if there is any warranty or applicable crash replacement.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Why can't you create a fake receipt? Pretend you bought it from some online authorized dealer in which case a printed receipt is all you would need. Or from another dealer out of town, I'm sure you can find some store name. It's not like any small shop will keep a record of every transaction or anyone will care to verify it by sampling your receipt and the DNA sample left at the store?

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
norcom said:
Why can't you create a fake receipt? Pretend you bought it from some online authorized dealer in which case a printed receipt is all you would need. Or from another dealer out of town, I'm sure you can find some store name. It's not like any small shop will keep a record of every transaction or anyone will care to verify it by sampling your receipt and the DNA sample left at the store?
Especialy since GT will only sell to authorized dealers, they know who the dealers are who would have sold the bike, with that exact matching serial number.
Some Joe Blow bike shop name that you "invent" and falsify a reciept for will be very apparent to GT. i don't recomend trying that. It's a great way to ruin any chance of them helping you out.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Get A Different Frame

No shortage of people looking to save a buck around here. :) I think its a waste of time trying to run down the "ownership" of the bike. Unless you got all the warranty stuff when you got the bike you are the second owner and there is no warranty. Maybe the bike was part of an inventory shortage? That wouldnt be the first time something went out the back door.

Looking over on Ebay I saw a front triangle for $35, a rear triangle for $60 and a complete frame sold for $125. As long as you are replacing the frame why not consider swapping out the parts onto a Stumpjumper, Trance, Anthem or maybe Epic? Three years on the same frame is long enough.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hear you guys. Thanks a lot for your help. The bike shop has a 2005 idrive 2.0 frame for 400.00 plus 150.00 setup. If I dont do the setup then no warranty on the new frame. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Sh** is going to break no matter what. It's an inherent part of mountain-biking. Assuming most of your parts are in good condition, I'd suggest buying a new frame and building it up with parts from your broken rig. Turning your own wrenches will not only give you the satisfaction of "building" your new ride, but will come in handy later as other parts fail and/or require replacement. And that knowledge may save you headaches and heartbreak out on the trail.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Why dont you just call GT and tell them what happened and they can point you in the right direction and to a dealer that would do the right thing .. I think trek has a lifetime crash replacement setup ?? Sure other s do too.. Warranty void if you assemble components yourself ??? That doesnt sound right to me ???? I always assemble my rigs and that has never caused any warranty issues ?? Good luck.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.