Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While moving rotors around on my bike the other day I heard a "ting" as I was screwing in one of the disc mounting bolts on my front hub. Indeed, one of the 6-bolt rotor mounting tabs on my front hub split. I was initially going to live with it but on closer inspection I found 5 tabs in total were cracked. Only the one cracked while installing the rotor, the others had all cracked either some time in the past or on their own while the rotor was installed for a couple days. I guess I might have been riding it like that for a while. All the bolts torqued down appropriately... Take that for what you will.
-
This is a front hub from an I9 Enduro 305 wheelset that I bought used a few years ago so I'm out of luck as far as any warranty would go, sure, but should I try scrounging up another hub and relacing my wheel? This rim and it's flashy alloy spokes are relatively worthless without that special I9 system hub, but I can't find where industry nine sell just the hub. Occasionally I see a used hub show up but if I buy a used one is it going to crack in the same manner?
Basically... I've got all these bling spokes that aren't any good without their bling hub, and I'm nervous that the only replacement hubs I can find are used and could be close to the end of their lives like mine are.
-

Should I gamble with some more used stuff or just get a welded rim of some sort and lace it to a DT 350?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sent an email to... something support related on their website a little over a week ago and I didn't hear back. I figure they're busy because of the thing or something, and I don't expect much support with this being a 2nd-hand wheel and all. One of my coworkers experience from working in fancier shops than mine made them think I9 doesn't advise people relace their system hubs, so I'm curious if I'd be getting myself in trouble with something the factory needs to do (or, maybe it's just a hub and some spokes like any other).

·
Registered
9,644 Posts
My buddy had a hub disc flange crack on a new Sun Ringle hub. He had stepped up to larger rotors. During a flat repair (still had tubes) he noticed a silver spot on his hub. Turned out to be a split (crack) on the disc mounting tab. Returned to LBS for inspection. LBS firmly pointed their [email protected] my buddy. Larger rotors? Torque spec & pattern?. What could be relevant was the heavy thread locking compound applied to a lot of aftermarket disc brake bolts.Most torquing requires clean threads which isn't going to be the case for these coated rotor bolts. In the end LBS wasn't much help but one email to Sun Ringle had then repair the wheel free of charge. He installed the rotors exactly the same minus the dried threadlocker and all has been well since.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I sent an email to... something support related on their website a little over a week ago and I didn't hear back. I figure they're busy because of the thing or something, and I don't expect much support with this being a 2nd-hand wheel and all. One of my coworkers experience from working in fancier shops than mine made them think I9 doesn't advise people relace their system hubs, so I'm curious if I'd be getting myself in trouble with something the factory needs to do (or, maybe it's just a hub and some spokes like any other).
I don't bother emailing I9 if I need anything right now, they are VERY backed up.

I call and get answers much quicker.

I would expect a pretty sizeable turnaround time.

As for the I9 system hubs, they have to be replaced directly by I9. They do not sell them aftermarket. Any aftermarket hub will have J-Bend flanges.

·
Ridin' dirty!
2,284 Posts
Their customer service is top notch. Calling them is the easiest way I think. I too had a used set of i9 system wheels way back and they helped me out. As long as you're honest, and don't make up stories, they'll help you. I was so impressed with their customer support, I went ahead and ordered a set of their system wheels for my 29'er.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Their customer service is top notch. Calling them is the easiest way I think. I too had a used set of i9 system wheels way back and they helped me out. As long as you're honest, and don't make up stories, they'll help you. I was so impressed with their customer support, I went ahead and ordered a set of their system wheels for my 29'er.

Did you have a similar issue with your set? I'm considering the cost of possibly fixing both wheels (maybe the rear down the road, if ever needed) against a new (albeit... likely boring) wheelset.

The boringness of whatever wheelset I would end up with weighs heavily on me... I bought this wheelset while I was laid up after a bad crash and the bling was just a lot of fun after that. Ahh...that was back in the day.
I currently have the stock roval traverse wheel, which fared much better than I did in the crash, on the bike so I'm still rolling... just more boringly.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Did you have a similar issue with your set? I'm considering the cost of possibly fixing both wheels (maybe the rear down the road, if ever needed) against a new (albeit... likely boring) wheelset.

The boringness of whatever wheelset I would end up with weighs heavily on me... I bought this wheelset while I was laid up after a bad crash and the bling was just a lot of fun after that. Ahh...that was back in the day.
I currently have the stock roval traverse wheel, which fared much better than I did in the crash, on the bike so I'm still rolling... just more boringly.
Life is short. If you are not putting yourself and your family in financial difficulty then what's wrong with a little bling?

·
Ridin' dirty!
2,284 Posts
Did you have a similar issue with your set?
No, issue with the free wheel and pawls. Previous owner 'effed up by packing it with grease…. After calling and explaining my situation they sent me a complete new one with all bearings, springs, pawls etc. installed. I didn't even pay for shipping. This was like 15years ago. Even if I called with a technical question, I always received a courteous answer and in depth explanation. It doesn't feel like one is a nuisance when asking a question. That's why I'll stick with i9 wheels. Only my fatbike rolls on a different brand, because I was too slow to pull the trigger on a set I liked….now they don't make fat wheels any longer….

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for your comments cdale and mongo, I appreciate hearing about your experience. I have a lot of e13 stuff on my tallboy for the same reason.
It looks like I can buy a new hub shell and the new hubs have been updated to have more metal around the disc mounts, so I won't have the same issue again with the front if I go that route.

·
Ridin' dirty!
2,284 Posts
thanks for your comments cdale and mongo, I appreciate hearing about your experience. I have a lot of e13 stuff on my tallboy for the same reason.
It looks like I can buy a new hub shell and the new hubs have been updated to have more metal around the disc mounts, so I won't have the same issue again with the front if I go that route.
If they identified an issue and re-designed because of it, they'll hook you up. I bet. Might only have to pay for a rebuilt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just an update to close the thread- I ended up buying a hub shell at crash-replacement cost and relacing the wheel.
Pretty standard wheel rebuild. New disc brake mounting bolts with the pre-applied loctite were very snug going into the new hub shell, so I stripped off the loctite and applied some wet vibra tite and they seemed to wanna thread in easier that way.
I like the flashy wheels but my next wheelset will be built with dt350 hubs on welded rims.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.