Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Ellsworth brotha's

After spending some time in France Portes du soleil i found out that my chainstay has a small crack in it at the driveside.
After some emails to Ellsworth i thought it might come okay after all. Till today i still havened heared anything from Ellsworth.

Does anybody have an id what to do now coz i cant wait any longer, i need to ride. Welding could be on option, but i rather have a new part.

Ride on, Roy

picture of the crack!
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/922364

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
volcomjerk said:
Hey Ellsworth brotha's

After spending some time in France Portes du soleil i found out that my chainstay has a small crack in it at the driveside.
After some emails to Ellsworth i thought it might come okay after all. Till today i still havened heared anything from Ellsworth.

Does anybody have an id what to do now coz i cant wait any longer, i need to ride. Welding could be on option, but i rather have a new part.

Ride on, Roy

picture of the crack!
Hi Volcomjerk, how long ago did you first email Ellsworth? Did you purchase your Dare through a dealer or LBS? If so, have you tried to get in contact with Ellsworth thru your dealer or LBS?

Look at calling Ellsworth direct by phone.

Am sure they will sort this, did you purchase the frame new or 2nd hand so to speak?

Some more info, there will be many whom can help you, also Ellsworth will monitor the Ellsworth part of MTBR.

Good luck..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx Whafe
I bought the frame 2nd hand. In the netherlands there is no Ellsworth dealer, actually i'm quit sure i'm the onle Ellsworth rider in the Netherlands.
Anyway i know the German guy who does Ellsworth up there. I mailed him also and he mailed Ellsworth, but still no response.
Perhaps i'm to quick with all this coz contacting Ellsworth was one week ago.

I hope it al ends okay, coz riding my Dare is like a dream coming true

Roy

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
volcomjerk said:
Thanx Whafe
I bought the frame 2nd hand. In the netherlands there is no Ellsworth dealer, actually i'm quit sure i'm the onle Ellsworth rider in the Netherlands.
Anyway i know the German guy who does Ellsworth up there. I mailed him also and he mailed Ellsworth, but still no response.
Perhaps i'm to quick with all this coz contacting Ellsworth was one week ago.

I hope it al ends okay, coz riding my Dare is like a dream coming true

Roy
Know the feeling of being the only one having one, when I had my Dare, no one else in New Zealand did either, some months after I got mine, a dealer emerged.

I would be getting a little tense after a week also, that is a good amount of time.

I would call them tomorrow, around 6pm out time and have a word with them. There CS has improved greatly, have not heard bad words for a long time now. The Ellsworth riders on MTBR will be very keen to hear your result.

Once again good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Unchained Freewheel
283 Posts
I can speak from expirience,never email them,if its at all important.They can take weeks to returm emails,and sometimes never respond at all.Now having said all that,if you phone them,they will be very helpful and very quick most of time.If the person who answers cannot be of much help,they will phone back with the pertinent info needed,by someone who can help.I have called twice in the last few weeks,and both times,Amy,the polite young lady who answered could not answer my q's,but she had eithier Tomas,or Dave call me back with all the info I needed.Via phone the reps at Ells are polite and quick to try an answer all q's,and great about phoning back and returning calls at the hour and day that you specify is the best time to call :cool: The CS at Ells is great.I am sure they will help you out in some capacity,even though your frame is used.I have heard in the past of them doing so,with other 'second' owners.Good luck ! :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
i've had the same experience as *******. i always call when i have an issue (i've had several over the years) and they have always taken care of me, usally they have the arangements made over the phone the first time i call.

i would note, however, that the last time i needed a replacement part (cracked chainstay on my id), they would only send the new part to a dealer and not directly to me. my lbs does not carry ellsworth but it didn't matter as they shipped it to them anyway.

i notice from your picture that the chainstay in question is the old (non-asymetrical) kind. i am not sure if they still make, them or if the new design will fit on your dare. as far as being a second owner, you may have to pay a bit for the new part, other than that they will take care of you.

happy trails

·
Registered
727 Posts
Ditto that. Forget about email and call Ellsworth. They are way backed up on the email and may or may not see your email for some time.

Ells has changed their policy last year and all warranty issues have to go through a local bike shop. It doesn't have to be an Ells dealer. Any bike shop can contact Ellsworth but I imagine you may have a bit of issue due to time difference and international toll cost to deal with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@: TT I emailed you.

I know the German Ellsworth guy and he managed to get me a new chainstay. Only part now is that i have to wait and see what i get. So fot now the Ells is out the running.

Ride on, Roy

·
Up & Down
57 Posts
Your cracked Chainstay is a Truth/Id chainstay meant for XC riding. The distance from front to rear bearing centers is the same on all Ellsworth chainstays. If the "German Ellsworth Guy" sends you another chainstay just like the one you cracked. It will work, but not for long. Hopefully he's sending you the larger more massive chainstay meant for the Dare and Rogue. If he doesn't it would be worth you while to make sure he or Ellsworth does. Not only will it last longer, but will give you more tire clearance as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
El Sol

Thanx very much. I checked some pictures and you are completely right. I guess my frame was delivered with the so called XC chainstay and not the DH chainstay.

I mailed the german guy and hopely he will give me some good news.

Ride on, Roy

·
Registered
368 Posts
El Sol said:
Your cracked Chainstay is a Truth/Id chainstay meant for XC riding. The distance from front to rear bearing centers is the same on all Ellsworth chainstays. If the "German Ellsworth Guy" sends you another chainstay just like the one you cracked. It will work, but not for long. Hopefully he's sending you the larger more massive chainstay meant for the Dare and Rogue. If he doesn't it would be worth you while to make sure he or Ellsworth does. Not only will it last longer, but will give you more tire clearance as well.
Yeah,right I had to pay 325,00 US $ for the xc replacement chainstay made 2003,which seems to have same quality as the original. :madmax:
Ok i could live with chainstay that lasts for 2-3 years but then the price for spare part should be affordable,otherwise those Ellsworth bikes just die.....
My ID chainstay looked just like that!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.