Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a used Giant NRS Air back in March. Last week I cracked the top tube near the seat tube. See picture. I'll assume used purchase, ebay > leads to zero warranty!!!
What are your opinions about tempoary welding job while I find a replacement?

Attachments

·
Registered
771 Posts
wow, you really cracked that pretty badly, i wouldnt suggest trying to weld it because unless you are a professional welder your welds with aluminum may not be strong enough

·
Old man on a bike
12,389 Posts
You might try Giant in any case, but I wouldn't be riding that much now otherwise. Good luck on the repair!

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
From what I've heard I won't be very strong without going through a full frame heat treatment. That's a pretty complex operation, and nothing I'd consider doing.

FWIW, I've had friends try to fix cracks in aluminum frames with welds, but as expected they never hold very long.

Personally, I'd talk to Giant to see if they'll give you any type of deal.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,608 Posts
29Colossus said:
Time to buy a new frame.
Agree......these are the chances you take when you buy used.

·
Anything Rough and Rocky
52 Posts
Whoa! A nasty crack, what happened anyway? Just curious.:D

Well, if you insist on having it rewelded, its pretty good enough for riding again ... but with "lower level" of riding until you find a good replacement for it. Good luck there.:)

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
Alas giant uses 6xxx aluminiums which require both heat treating and artificial aging after being welded to have sufficient strength for usage, which requires a rather specialized oven to accomplish.

·
Takw/agranofsalt
3,532 Posts
DeeEight said:
Alas giant uses 6xxx aluminiums which require both heat treating and artificial aging after being welded to have sufficient strength for usage, which requires a rather specialized oven to accomplish.
Not to mention stripping and repainting. Time for the trash bin, get another frame.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,986 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
Talk to Giant, they'll probably give you a crash replacement discount.

just tell them you bought it bran new......

welding the frames weakens the other metal around the weld....then it would have to be heat treated to bring it back up to strength

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
just tell them you bought it bran new......

welding the frames weakens the other metal around the weld....then it would have to be heat treated to bring it back up to strength
this particular frame is not worth the repair. Especially around that zone, especially factoring in the difficulty in finding a place that will honestly heat treat the frame.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Why not just replace the frame? Wouldn't paying a welder to "fix" the frame cost about the same amount of time and a fair amount of money?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts