Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm gutted :madman: I found what looks like a 2" crack on my 2008 Remedy.

To add insult to injury, I found it on the second ride after pushing the rear shock. It looks like it will be $300 down the drain.

Here are the best pictures I was able to get

This is located on the rectangular plate facing backwards on the bottom bracket area. It is on the drive side.

At first I though it was a scratch, since I can't really see whether it is cracked all the way through. I even scratched the paint a little bit (that round area that looks like it suffered an impact on the first figure) with a knife to have a better look at it, but I'm still not exactly sure of what I'm seeing is a crack or a scratch deep into the weld. However, the chainstay opposite to this area is not scratched, and I don't recall any incidents.

Thinking again, it looks more like the crack formed suddenly, kind of blowing away that pretty large strip of paint (the crack, if it is there, is definitely much thinner than what it looks from the missing paint). The only thing I can imagine that could have done is hitting the bashguard on logs when hopping them. But that's a rare event and I don't recall being too harsh on it (plus the bashguard is as new).

What do you guys think of this?

I'll try to have it looked at a dealer, but there aren't many Trek dealers close by. Besides I'm not even sure if I will be covered under warranty since I'm in Portugal and I bought the bike in the US.

In order of preference, I just hope: (i) it is a scratch; (ii) they still have 08 or 09 front triangles lying around; (iii) I don't get downgraded to the current Remedy frames; (iv) my warranty is valid in Portugal

Edit: it's definitely a crack

·
Huckin' trails
6,060 Posts
Looks like a crack.

You might be able to get it welded back in worst case scenario...

Contact your dealer and ask them about the options you have.

Don't ride the bike till it's fixed.

David

·
74 & 29 pilot
2,271 Posts
This is supposedly common on the non-drive side of the lower chain stay on the weld just behind the cross support. Really hard to tell where it is exactly with your crazy close and huge pictures. Take it to a Trek dealer and try to get it warrantied. Looks like if it is really a crack it could be fixed; Pretty clean crack right on the weld.

Good luck!

MTBP

·
Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took the bike for a spin today and it's definitely a crack.

Now let's see about the famous Trek's lifetime warranty... outside of the US.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.