Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a used 2006 RM Element 70 for my sons 15th B-Day. On his 2nd outing he stacked. I noticed when tuning up the drivetrain that the chain was rubbing the frame at the area of the hanger. Instead of the hanger breaking, the frame bent in. I bent it back, but did notice a very small crack. Should I be too worried? It looks like the hanger will support the area of the crack. Does anyone know someone who has one laying around they want to sell.

Thanks
Dad

·
Registered
222 Posts
Is it just a paint crack or a crack in the metal? I'd expect a paint crack because of how the metal's flexed - if it's not a structural crack then keep riding with a close eye on it, as alu usually doesn';t take to kindly to being bent back

·
Registered
137 Posts
First off, your son should not ride this bike in this condition.
Even though you bought a used bike you can take it to your local Rocky Mountain dealer and we can work out a reasonable price on a new chainstay.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Take it to a local alu welder - they may be able to stop it spreading further. I know a few people who've haad this done and whilst it may look a bit messy, it works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.