Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been riding a RIP 9 since Feb 2007 and have had nothing but great memories of a kick ass bike. Just a couple of weekends ago I went to the Fruita Fat Tire Festival and was fortunate enough to demo a Tallboy all day on the Lunch loops.

Wow! I was blown away. The bike wasn't even setup with the size right stem and the bars were too low for my liking but the bike was just magic. It was screamin fast and smooth in everyting. I actually lent the bike to a buddy who is NOT a 29er convert and he was convinced after two trail rides. That just confirmed what I was feeling.

The cool part was that I had my RIP with me so I was able to do back to back comparisons on similar trails. When I got on the RIP after riding the Tallboy I felt right at home. The RIP can handle it all but all I kept thinking about was the Tallboy's killer ride.

A week after I got home I sold my RIP to a buddy and ordered the Tallboy. I guess they're pretty hard to find right now but I found one at Colorado Cyclist. It showed up on Friday and I just got back from the maiden ride. I took it one of my favorite trails, Hawes Trail. The bike felt just like I remember it in GJ. Freaking magic. This bike is awesome. It's got all the same parts from my RIP and the geometry is basically the same so the bike felt perfect on the first ride. The bike went from a 30 pound build as a RIP to a sub 28 pounder as a Tallboy. The frame alone was a 1.5 pounds lighter and the rest came from a pair of lighter tires, smaller disc and lighter pedals. I'm running an SB8 in the back and The Captian S-Works in the front. I was pleasantly surprised by The Captian. I used to ride the Nevegal. We'll see how they hold up. I also had to go to a smaller rotor in the rear as the Tallboy has a max of 185mm in the rear.

I couldn't imagine that a bike could get any better than my RIP 9. Well it can.

Attachments

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,407 Posts
Yup..

It's that good. My brother who bought a new 26 inch bike last year (pre my 29er days) took one ride on mine, came back and said that he has to have one.

He now has one on order.

It's only fault thus far is that it's hard to get protective tape to cover the lower rear tabs for the linkage and I've had some chain slap chip paint off of it.

Otherwise, it's outstanding.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Green Giant said:
Yup..

It's that good. My brother who bought a new 26 inch bike last year (pre my 29er days) took one ride on mine, came back and said that he has to have one.

He now has one on order.

It's only fault thus far is that it's hard to get protective tape to cover the lower rear tabs for the linkage and I've had some chain slap chip paint off of it.

Otherwise, it's outstanding.
I've got so much protective tape on this bad boy it probably added half a pound. I know what you mean though about those tabs. I think I may have smacked one today. I don't want to look.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RWGreen said:
Nice... the more I ride mine, the more I like it.

I've also been riding the captains tubeless this year - and have been really happy with them so far.
I'm only trying out the Captains because I found a pair in a localy shop for 60% off. I got two for 40 bucks! I asked the shop manager why they were on the sale rack and he said that people have a hard time with them as tubeless and the sidewalls are super thing. I thought I couldn't go wrong, even if they suck. I haven't found that to be true yet and am really happy wth them.

I'm really impressed with them. I had no issues sealing them up with Stan's on Stan's rims and they hooked up really nice in the corners. I usally prefer a little bigger tire but I haven't noticed any negativess. Sweet tire so far.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
banks said:
Awh, I thought this thread was about a broken Tallboy. That would have made my day.
There's no way this thing going to break. The only flex I felt on this bike was coming from my seat and I weigh 220 without gear. The Tallboy feels like it's stiffer than my old RIP.

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,407 Posts
broken - not yet...

banks said:
Awh, I thought this thread was about a broken Tallboy. That would have made my day.
It took me quite a leap of faith to buy the bike in the first place. The specs of course were great, but yeah it's carbon, it's a MTB, and I started the year at 225 lbs (now 208).

I read about percieved rear end flex.

Well, 500 blistful miles so far on it. I do use king hubs, and a 10mm DT rear "skewer".

I can't feel flex, and so far I haven't broken it. I've done some 3 foot drops so far. I'm not a big air guy, but man it's a fun bike.

I've already put it in the "best bikes I've owned territory" and that covers a lot of MTB's.

I'm taking it out to Colorado this summer and we will see what happens if and likely when I put it down in some rocks.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Green Giant said:
I've already put it in the "best bikes I've owned territory" and that covers a lot of MTB's.
I'm with you 100%. The bike is really amazing. Riding the Tallboy reminds me of the feeling I had with my last 26er, an SC Nomad. The Nomad was awesome at the time but then I found 29ers. \m/ Rock on! \m/

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,615 Posts
WoooHeee that's a sexy bike, glad to hear you are digging it. Glad to see companies rolling out nice carbon trail bikes.

I just bought a new RIP this spring and have the same tender loving feelings towards it, I didn't ever expect to love it as much as I do.

JMH

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
4,252 Posts
I felt mine flex a little when mashing up an incline over a 2in or so rock/root at a angle. It doesn't happen often. It's not quite as stiff as my Pivot or Ventana. My impressions are purely subjective. It is a sweet bike and I pray it doesn't break. I am hearing a creak and I'm currently chasing it down. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
495 Posts
3M tape

palmermtb said:
I've got so much protective tape on this bad boy it probably added half a pound. I know what you mean though about those tabs. I think I may have smacked one today. I don't want to look.
I've heard about a 3M tape that several shops are using to protect the downtube and bottom bracket/linkage area on the Tallboy and other carbon bikes.

Does anyone know which tape this is by chance?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks for the report. I demoed a RIP9 and was blown away by how great it rode and handled, but the weight was an issue for me. Sounds like the Tallboy is the best of both worlds. I need to find a demo!

Is there anything the RIP did better than the Tallboy? Do you have any pedal strike issues with the lower bottom bracket?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Raja said:
Thanks for the report. I demoed a RIP9 and was blown away by how great it rode and handled, but the weight was an issue for me. Sounds like the Tallboy is the best of both worlds. I need to find a demo!

Is there anything the RIP did better than the Tallboy? Do you have any pedal strike issues with the lower bottom bracket?
You're absolutely correct. The most significant thing I noticed when I switched from the RIP to the Tallboy and back was the weight. The Tallboy frame alone is about 1.5 pounds lighter than the RIP. I've got some of the lightest parts you can buy so the biggest difference in my case is the frame weight

However, when I rode it I realized there was a big difference in the riding charcteristics overall. I felt the Tallboy was better in every aspect. Because of the weight advantage the Tallboy is more flickable. You can throw it around like a 26er. Meaning that on really technical trails you can change direction, lunge over step up rocks, and basically jump the bike with ease. I also feel there is a difference in the rear end action. The Tallboy feels smoother and more plush. The shock doesn't feel like it ramps up (firms up). It feels plush throughout. On climbs the rear end feels like it's planted and more active than the RIP.

The RIP is agreat bike overall and I rode one for 3 years plus. I have no regrets. However, IMO, the Tallboy is a much better riding bike and is worth the extra money.

I ahven't had any issues with pedal strikes per say, but I live in the rugged southwest and pedal strikes are just a fact of life. We have rocks everywhere and if you're not striking a rock with your pedal then you're not riding hard enough :))

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Boon Fly said:
I've heard about a 3M tape that several shops are using to protect the downtube and bottom bracket/linkage area on the Tallboy and other carbon bikes.

Does anyone know which tape this is by chance?
I buy the tape from my local ski shop. It's called Ski Saver tape. I'm not sure who makes it. The ski shops use it to cover skis and snowboards and I usually pay $1 per foot. Sometimes they wont sell it to me by the foot and I just tell them to sell me the same amount they would use for a snowboard. I haven't bought any in a long time but I've been using it for years. I just used the last of it on the Tallboy.

The biggest reason for using the tape is to keep the frame in good shape. If you're a bike junky like me you tend to buy and sell bikes a lot. If you cover the bike right, when you're ready to sell it you just peel it off and the bike is ready to sell with minimal damage to the finish.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
palmermtb said:
You're absolutely correct. The most significant thing I noticed when I switched from the RIP to the Tallboy and back was the weight. The Tallboy frame alone is about 1.5 pounds lighter than the RIP. I've got some of the lightest parts you can buy so the biggest difference in my case is the frame weight

However, when I rode it I realized there was a big difference in the riding charcteristics overall. I felt the Tallboy was better in every aspect. Because of the weight advantage the Tallboy is more flickable. You can throw it around like a 26er. Meaning that on really technical trails you can change direction, lunge over step up rocks, and basically jump the bike with ease. I also feel there is a difference in the rear end action. The Tallboy feels smoother and more plush. The shock doesn't feel like it ramps up (firms up). It feels plush throughout. On climbs the rear end feels like it's planted and more active than the RIP.

The RIP is agreat bike overall and I rode one for 3 years plus. I have no regrets. However, IMO, the Tallboy is a much better riding bike and is worth the extra money.

I ahven't had any issues with pedal strikes per say, but I live in the rugged southwest and pedal strikes are just a fact of life. We have rocks everywhere and if you're not striking a rock with your pedal then you're not riding hard enough :))
so which generation rip are you camparing to the tall boy? is it the current hydroformed model? it sounds like your comparing the older model rip which i understand was flexy and designed that way by niner, were the newer rip is much stiffer with hydroformed tubing and stiffer redesigned rear, can you clarify this for us?

·
Banned
7,904 Posts
Raja said:

I had pedal strike issues with the v1 version of the RIP, much, much less with the V2 Niner RIP. The Niner does a couple of things better... I've rarely needed customer service, but when I have, they've been great to me. That, and they left $600 + more dollars in my bank account, which was more than enough for me to buy a good high end used Hadley 29'er wheel set, cranks, Thomson stem and seatpost, SRAM 990 cassette and chain, by shopping carefully. Added the fork, shifters and derailleurs, and I was done with a complete bike. The smiles per dollar spent on my RIP I'd be hard pressed to match anywhere. For me, the RIP was a better value, hands down. I don't race, the RIP is a better trail bike in my eyes.

The RIP bobs way less than the Tallboy, which I found really needs the Propedal on to climb extended vertical if you don't want to throw energy away bobbing. The RIP is remarkable in that aspect, be it granny or middle ring, in it's bob control without having to tune it out with ProPedal on.

YMMV.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.