Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Team Hardcore Cornbread
Joined
·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the beginning of my problems. I took the bike in for long over-do maintenance and a crack was noticed on the chain stay of the right side next to bottom pivot. Just purchase a new one right for around $225 and call it a day? Turns out that what I thought was a 2003 Salty is actually a 2001. I was told when I bought the frame it was new but now I am sitting on a 7 year old frame with over four very very hard years of me riding. I should add that the shop is no longer in business; go figure. It has been suggested that I also replace all the bearings at the same time. Along with some other items I will put in over $500 possibly $600 to get her back up and on the trails.

For those of you who have ridden the wheels off your Ventanas do you have suggestions to fix or replace? I have already decided that due to my riding style the El Ciclon is what I will go with if I replace. I am also trying to figure out if the trade-in program will work or am I better off going with a package build program from the LBS at discounted prices? Most of the parts on the Salty I will move over with the exception of the fork and possibly drive train.

Yesterday I looked at new frames and even test road a Turner RFX. Don't worry...I am not leaving.:) The Ciclon is too sweet and I am hooked. Suggestions please!

Thanks,
Paul

I
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,308 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
1. Cry like a little girl
2. Blame it on the price of gasoline
3. Drink lots of cheap tequila
4. Call Ventana
5. Wash Uffizi, drive me to Firenze, or to Rancho Cordova....

Sorry to see bad luck has come your way - but better that you noticed it now!
Get on the phone with Ventana and see where that leaves you. There are several avenues to go on a new build...best get your options on the replacement front from the source - I have found that they are VERY reasonable and nice to deal with!
 

·
Team Hardcore Cornbread
Joined
·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Squeaky Wheel said:
1. Cry like a little girl
2. Blame it on the price of gasoline
3. Drink lots of cheap tequila
4. Call Ventana
I already cried.

I drive a Prius.

Tequila makes me poop my pants.

Calling right now.
 

·
Team Hardcore Cornbread
Joined
·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CharacterZero said:
5. Wash Uffizi, drive me to Firenze, or to Rancho Cordova....

Sorry to see bad luck has come your way - but better that you noticed it now!
Get on the phone with Ventana and see where that leaves you. There are several avenues to go on a new build...best get your options on the replacement front from the source - I have found that they are VERY reasonable and nice to deal with!
My feet are clean thanks. I will call the great and powerful Icculus to see what they can do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
See what Sherwood says, but I have a perfectly good chainstay sitting in my garage that I would sell you from my tandem that was limitedly before I changed to the Rohloff Chainstay for the tandem.

So it is a HD chainstay and would then allow you to sell the Salty frame and upgrade to a Ciclon.

Rob
 

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
Joined
·
3,818 Posts
Phishin Paul said:
now I am sitting on a 7 year old frame with over four very very hard years of me riding.
Consider yourself lucky.....4 years of very very hard riding on most other frames you might be on your second frame, I rode a GF Sugar from 2000 to 2004 and had four failures from near normal XC riding. I have a Ciclon and it rocks.......Ole'
 

·
Team Hardcore Cornbread
Joined
·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ColoRider1 said:
See what Sherwood says, but I have a perfectly good chainstay sitting in my garage that I would sell you from my tandem that was limitedly before I changed to the Rohloff Chainstay for the tandem.

So it is a HD chainstay and would then allow you to sell the Salty frame and upgrade to a Ciclon.

Rob
Thanks Rob. I did speak with Theresa today and my Salty goes back to the days when KHS sold the frames. I think I am using this as an excuse to upgrade to the Ciclon. I need to figure out what is a better deal to use the 30% trade or the discount the shop will give me on a package deal. I don't think I would ever try to sell my Salty frame knowing the miles I have put on that bike. I would not feel right selling it to someone on ebay or something. Anyone who owns a Ventana is riding it and riding it hard so I call BS to any "barely ridden" Ventanas on ebay.
 

·
Team Hardcore Cornbread
Joined
·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mtnbiker4life said:
Consider yourself lucky.....4 years of very very hard riding on most other frames you might be on your second frame
True...too bad Sherwood isn't in the tire business too. Maybe he could come up with a tire that would last as long as his frames :thumbsup:
 

·
Proud lame eBiker
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
Cheap way out would be to get a new HD swingarma dn bolt it onto your Salty. If the front triangle ever fails, then upgrade/trade inn your front triangle for a new Ciclon.
Seatstays hardly ever fail, from what I've seen in the past. So if you upgrade the swingarm, then the front triangle later, you're set to go.

But if you can swing it now, just turn the whoel thing back in and get a complete new bike. Nothing like that 'new bike smell'.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top