Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Gold it's the new Pink!
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that I think its a big issue but just a heads up to everyone. I was on South Mountian both today and yesterday around 9 am and there is more activity from the Coyotes. Yesterday I only saw one up near the fork to Dobbins & Buena Vista. Today when we pulled into Buena Vista we could hear a lot of them. I howled back and there was a good sized one over 30 lbs about 30 feet below in the ravine between Geronimo and Natty. Later we saw one on a ridge above Nattty which may have been the same one and a decent amount of Coyote poop around as well.

Crimson
aka the Coyote Whisperer

G

·
Crimson said:
Not that I think its a big issue but just a heads up to everyone. I was on South Mountian both today and yesterday around 9 am and there is more activity from the Coyotes. Yesterday I only saw one up near the fork to Dobbins & Buena Vista. Today when we pulled into Buena Vista we could hear a lot of them. I howled back and there was a good sized one over 30 lbs about 30 feet below in the ravine between Geronimo and Natty. Later we saw one on a ridge above Nattty which may have been the same one and a decent amount of Coyote poop around as well.

Crimson
aka the Coyote Whisperer
They are all over that hill. I have had them run in front of me in Beverly Canyon so close that I have almost hit them. There is a good sized "Mama" Coyote who had a den and 2 pups right off Geronimo last year.

Just carry Pop-Tart's, they love them.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,801 Posts
You think that's bad, we got coyotes AND foxes.

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
packs of them...

....in the front yard several times this week. Several nights ago I was kicking it in the Jacuzzi watching them run up and down the wash looking for kitty appetizers. Even had a fox looking in the fence at me a couple weeks ago. Almost ran over a Javalina last week.
Heck...they even mow my lawn for me.

·
aka Diesel
1,249 Posts
They are as common around these parts (Hawes) on the trail and in the 'hood, as dogs. And less aggressive. I think they're pretty cool. :thumbsup: Never had one act out aggressively. But of course, I am family. :D

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,801 Posts
CoyoteKis said:
They are as common around these parts (Hawes) on the trail and in the 'hood, as dogs. And less aggressive. I think they're pretty cool. :thumbsup: Never had one act out aggressively. But of course, I am family. :D
Yup, they howl (in packs) outside my window sometimes, sounds really cool.

·
Black and Sticky
771 Posts
They're in town too

I live just north and east of Camelback and Central and I have seen coyotes in parking lots around here. Can't get any more in the middle of town than where I live. One of the ladies in my neighborhood told me they occasionally showed up around here but I didn't believe it until I saw them. I can always tell when coyotes are there because my dogs go totally nuts (well, even more so than normal). I think coyotes are very cool.

Bob

·
EDR
10,427 Posts
Yesterday afternoon while climbing National I stopped at the last difficult step up section (after the Waterfall and just a couple minutes before the saddle) and sat all alone on the granite rock listening to the howling pack in the valley below that I had just passed through. It was just minutes before the rain began to fall and it was really neat. A few moments later a couple with a toy dog came walking down headed for that valley. I suggested they hold the dog for a bit while hiking.....wonder how that went? lol.

I'll take coyote packs any day over the bee swarm that flew 10 feet over my head during the summer. Now that was a moment that had me as standing as still as I have ever been.

·
Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
859 Posts
I was riding White tanks this morning and got a flat, as I was changing it a Mule Deer ran across the path. first time I seen one there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
yotes are no joke on Somo!!! One of my riding bros, lives at the base of Rustler's roost, and there are always signs people put up of missing cats and dogs. We have stumbled apon a handful of carcasas riding from the trail out his back door. There is also like a 50lb owl that lives in a tree next to his crib, that I wouldn't want to mess with.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.