Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, everyone else is getting in on it, so I may as well add my two-cents worth of race report.

How was the Coyote Classic race this year? Imagine pedalling a stationary cycle next to a swimming pool in the midsummer New Mexico sun with someone walking around you with a hair dryer set on high, another person holding an ice cold drink just out of your reach, and someone else yelling at you to go faster or get off the bike. Basically it was torture - the kind we like here in the north end of the Chihuahuan Desert dirt.

Despite an extremely wet winter which damaged the trail in several key places, it was in fairly good repair. Although those dang Pro/Expert racers took the time to roll handfulls of rocks onto the trail just to make it more interesting for the rest of us. We had loose rocks rolling us all over the trail and had the pleasure of wallowing through several arroyo's worth of gravel.

After accidently taking three top three spots in Sport last season, I thought about moving up to Expert this year. But I'm glad I didn't. I wasn't really ready for this Sport race, and the few regulars in the 40+ Expert group are all so much better than I am that it will be several racing seasons (and several road seasons) before I come in less than 45 minutes behind the last rider.

The number of 40+ Sport racers was appalling. There are just too many of us older guys trying to prove to our SO's we aren't just accomplished beer-swilling, food-hoovering couch potatoes! Sure, we loafed along during the neutral start just to show we weren't really concerned about our competitors, but after the turn through the parking lot it got fast.

We climbed a paved road and turned into the singletrack through the middle of the picnic areas. Luckily, I got sort of a hole shot and didn't end up behind any real trouble makers. Shortly after, a few guys at the front started pulling away. Richard R. wanted to keep the gap down and turned on the heat. After the switchback, I lost sight of Richard for the rest of the race. Mr. R. may claim he had a long, food-filled lazy winter, but he sure rode like he had good beer waiting.

Since November I only managed to do four real mountain bike rides and one 50 mile road ride, so the rest of my race was based on equal parts of willpower and water. It didn't hurt that my next closest competitor, "Dangerous" Dave H. (a.k.a. LCdaveH), was either right behind me or right ahead of me most of the way until toward the end.

After the loop starting heading south again, it became a slog, with me and Javier S. swapping places every now and then. "Dangerous" Dave had slowly dropped back somewhere in this long stretch and I didn't see him until he walked up the final hill with a flat. It was an oxygen starved, grueling pull to catch Javier because the only places I could make up time on him were the climbs. In the end, his painful shoulder and a Clif Shot probably got me past him and put me behind "Jumpin'" Jeff B. The next goal was to catch Jeff. It never happened.

Catching Javier (sounds like a movie title) left me with worsening quad cramps and I had to drop into granny gear for the final climb. Due to a rear derailleur problem, "Jumpin'" Jeff couldn't use his lowest gears, so he was grinding up the final hill in a higher gear while I was inching along in my lowest gear.

I ended up somewhere around 8th out of 22, so I'm not crying in my beer, much.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Squelch said:
Well, everyone else is getting in on it, so I may as well add my two-cents worth of race report.

How was the Coyote Classic race this year? Imagine pedalling a stationary cycle next to a swimming pool in the midsummer New Mexico sun with someone walking around you with a hair dryer set on high, another person holding an ice cold drink just out of your reach, and someone else yelling at you to go faster or get off the bike. Basically it was torture - the kind we like here in the north end of the Chihuahuan Desert dirt.

Despite an extremely wet winter which damaged the trail in several key places, it was in fairly good repair. Although those dang Pro/Expert racers took the time to roll handfulls of rocks onto the trail just to make it more interesting for the rest of us. We had loose rocks rolling us all over the trail and had the pleasure of wallowing through several arroyo's worth of gravel.

After accidently taking three top three spots in Sport last season, I thought about moving up to Expert this year. But I'm glad I didn't. I wasn't really ready for this Sport race, and the few regulars in the 40+ Expert group are all so much better than I am that it will be several racing seasons (and several road seasons) before I come in less than 45 minutes behind the last rider.

The number of 40+ Sport racers was appalling. There are just too many of us older guys trying to prove to our SO's we aren't just accomplished beer-swilling, food-hoovering couch potatoes! Sure, we loafed along during the neutral start just to show we weren't really concerned about our competitors, but after the turn through the parking lot it got fast.

We climbed a paved road and turned into the singletrack through the middle of the picnic areas. Luckily, I got sort of a hole shot and didn't end up behind any real trouble makers. Shortly after, a few guys at the front started pulling away. Richard R. wanted to keep the gap down and turned on the heat. After the switchback, I lost sight of Richard for the rest of the race. Mr. R. may claim he had a long, food-filled lazy winter, but he sure rode like he had good beer waiting.

Since November I only managed to do four real mountain bike rides and one 50 mile road ride, so the rest of my race was based on equal parts of willpower and water. It didn't hurt that my next closest competitor, "Dangerous" Dave H. (a.k.a. LCdaveH), was either right behind me or right ahead of me most of the way until toward the end.

After the loop starting heading south again, it became a slog, with me and Javier S. swapping places every now and then. "Dangerous" Dave had slowly dropped back somewhere in this long stretch and I didn't see him until he walked up the final hill with a flat. It was an oxygen starved, grueling pull to catch Javier because the only places I could make up time on him were the climbs. In the end, his painful shoulder and a Clif Shot probably got me past him and put me behind "Jumpin'" Jeff B. The next goal was to catch Jeff. It never happened.

Catching Javier (sounds like a movie title) left me with worsening quad cramps and I had to drop into granny gear for the final climb. Due to a rear derailleur problem, "Jumpin'" Jeff couldn't use his lowest gears, so he was grinding up the final hill in a higher gear while I was inching along in my lowest gear.

I ended up somewhere around 8th out of 22, so I'm not crying in my beer, much.
Hey! Sounds familiar - and yes, I rolled as MANY ROCKS as I could onto the trail for you - also for me - so that on the second lap us expert knuckleheads could have yet more fun!

Awesome write up, and indeed, everyone seemed to be in the older groups - us "younger (30-39) experts had a paltry showing, and the 20-29 YO's had like 3 guys!

Who the hecK are you? Have we met? :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rs3o said:
Fun write-up! Does everyone down south have nicknames?
No. I started doing it several years ago on the BMBA (Borderland Mountain Bike Association) email list just to be obnoxious, but nobody complained and voila, I'm still doing it out of habit.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Squelch said:
We may or may not have met - I'm over 40 and the old gray matter is so covered in trail dust I just might not remember. I'm the guy that ran the NMORS two or three times before LCdaveH took over.
Cool, we'll have to catch up at Cloudcroft. If you'll be there, or at Socorro - I'll be playing "catch up" at both events!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
glenzx said:
Cool, we'll have to catch up at Cloudcroft. If you'll be there, or at Socorro - I'll be playing "catch up" at both events!
Planning on being at both. Look for the brown Klein Attitude Race, Primal Alien jersey, and I usually have the most obnoxiously bright shorts in the crowd - bright red or bright blue. Won't know which until I consult the Magic 8 Ball.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.