1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Hey, wait up!
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DaGoat said:
Less rocks? Just kidding! ;)
Rocks? We gots rocks.

Round rocks, flat rocks, smooth rocks, rough rocks, big rocks, little rocks, pointy rocks, loose rocks, sharp rocks, chunky rocks, pretty rocks, skinny rocks, fat rocks, we even gots jumping rocks.

Rocks rocks everywhere.

A whole lotta rockin goin on!

Like my mama always says, when nature gives you rocks, make rockenade.

:D

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,762 Posts
I'm sure everyone will approve of the reasonable entry fee. $25 is a lot for the money at that race. When I won it in 2008, my pay was $180. Mike Rosson is one of the promoters that really gives so much to this sport.

This makes the choice between the Sedona BFL and the Coyote Classic that much harder.

·
Big John
170 Posts
Just rode the sport course with Pablo and company. This clydesdale is whooped. It was my first time ever on that trail, and I gotta say, it's a lot of fun and very strenuous.

·
Hey, wait up!
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spanky_88007 said:
Just rode the sport course with Pablo and company. This clydesdale is whooped. It was my first time ever on that trail, and I gotta say, it's a lot of fun and very strenuous.
I rode most of the Cat 2 route today starting at Heinrich. (I didn't hit the 2d Tin Mine climb/Mad Cow/Finish).

The trail/course is awesome fun. Bring your climbing shoes and leave the cross bike at home.

funfunfun - and a beeyuteayfull day.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Heck, I spent 5 1/2 hours out there riding this weekend and didn't see a soul once I was out of sight of the park on Saturday. Today, I motored up behind a woman on the way back to the roundhouse on the first loop, and when she saw me behind her, she picked it up and smoked it all the way to the roundhouse, where she pulled over. We agreed it was fun, but I don't believe she was there to ride the course, so I just went on my way. Shucks. That would've been a mighty fine day.

The only other riders I saw were up on the Sotol (now re-named?) trail coming the other way, and when I unclipped to let them by, I kicked an Agave. Damn, those things hurt! I brushed 3 others on that section today, and drew blood on 2, but that's the one that really hurts.

I did all of it twice, and a lot of it thrice, and that course, especially with the updates, is nothing if not TWISTY! And I do believe that the oh-$hit-factor has gone up a tad on that s/t descent down the south side.

Great job of re-working that piece (that includes the little bridge) alongside the arroyo. Could be some carnage on that big dip into the arroyo shortly after leaving the road to head up the first hill. I hope we're spread out by then.

·
Big John
170 Posts
LCdaveH said:
I rode most of the Cat 2 route today starting at Heinrich.
That's where we started from, I guess we must have been there earlier in the day. There were all kinds of people out there when we were riding.

I still refer to cat 2 as "sport" sometimes, old habits... It was a nice ride today, I hope the race goes well for all. As for me, I'm not much for racing. I think it's cool that you all are going to let the cat 3's do their own thing first. That's a hell of a trail, and true beginners will need the time.

I had to remind one of the guys who made a snarky comment when I caught up with the group during a short break that one of my legs probably weighs more than he does and is bigger around than he is, and so I am not the fastest climber, but I don't quit damn it! I then went on to clean a climb he had to walk up with his SS. Dern whippersnapper, gears + 230lbs on the rear wheel = traction! :D

·
Hey, wait up!
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Garson said:
Heck, I spent 5 1/2 hours out there riding this weekend and didn't see a soul once I was out of sight of the park on Saturday. Today, I motored up behind a woman on the way back to the roundhouse on the first loop, and when she saw me behind her, she picked it up and smoked it all the way to the roundhouse, where she pulled over. We agreed it was fun, but I don't believe she was there to ride the course, so I just went on my way. Shucks. That would've been a mighty fine day.

The only other riders I saw were up on the Sotol (now re-named?) trail coming the other way, and when I unclipped to let them by, I kicked an Agave. Damn, those things hurt! I brushed 3 others on that section today, and drew blood on 2, but that's the one that really hurts.

I did all of it twice, and a lot of it thrice, and that course, especially with the updates, is nothing if not TWISTY! And I do believe that the oh-$hit-factor has gone up a tad on that s/t descent down the south side.

Great job of re-working that piece (that includes the little bridge) alongside the arroyo. Could be some carnage on that big dip into the arroyo shortly after leaving the road to head up the first hill. I hope we're spread out by then.
Sotol Forest is still Sotol Forest. The trail climbing to the north end of Sotol Forest is Coyote Ugly.

I liked the south end singletrack. I had a brave day today and rode clean more of it than I would normally expect to. :eek:

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,762 Posts
LCdaveH said:
Head's Up!

We're looking to start the Cat 3s at 8am and let them ride their race.

The Cat 1s will start at 10am and the Cat 2s a bit after.

Thanks Dave. In N.C. at the old Cane Creek series, they never had experts and beginners on the course at the same time and more often than not the only racers on the course at the same time were the pros and experts....not a quick in and out day - as you would expect.

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,762 Posts
LCdaveH said:

There's still time to get in under the wire. :D

What a beautiful day! And man ending the race with Mad Cow is sooo sweet....there is nothing like the feeling of that trail at mach speed.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Nice job, Dave.

It really is a great race on a great course - produced by a hard-working crew. Huge bang for the buck at El Paso races, too. :thumbsup:

Looks like our stagger for Cat2 >=40 was a total of 8 minutes. Anybody know what the stagger was for Cat2 <=39 ?

·
Hey, wait up!
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Garson said:
Nice job, Dave.

It really is a great race on a great course - produced by a hard-working crew. Huge bang for the buck at El Paso races, too. :thumbsup:

Looks like our stagger for Cat2 >=40 was a total of 8 minutes. Anybody know what the stagger was for Cat2 <=39 ?
START TIMES

8:00am Cat 3 Men
8:04am Cat 3 Women

10:00am Pro + Cat 1 Men
10:01am Pro + Cat 1 Women
10:02am SingleSpeed
10:06am Cat 2 Men <39
10:08am Cat 2 Men 40+
10:10am Cat 2 Women

I will do a spreadsheet version doing the math to adjust racing times for the staggered start times.

·
Registered
7 Posts
First Post so please excuse if it ends up in wrong place.
CC '11 was a great race! In my opinion the best yet. Thanks to all organizers and sponsors. Felt bad passing by mule shoe and not riding it. I felt it calling me. Maybe next year. Ill take the chance to thank the BMBA for '11 puzzler. Another race that keeps getting better every year. Any idea on where photos for '11 puzzler are posted if any? Saw a bunch or photographers but no photos on site.
Anyway...... thanks to all involved in getting these events rolling. Regulator derby up next!!!
Promoting mountain biking in EP........"where rocks are born!!"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.