Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
DOD Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it was supposed to be the annual Sawtooth Struggle, but Ma Nature had other ideas. Saturday's journey to Suzanne Lake was spectacular. We hung around there a long time diving off the rock cliff, eating and just relaxing in the bright warm sunshine. By the time we started to head back to camp we could see the thunderheads building and sure enough, sporadic sprinkles followed the thunder and lightning. Sunday morning dawned mostly cloudy, seemed to clear for a bit, then came back with earlier, more persistent and much nearer T/L. Most of our gaggle made it to the top of Cowhorn, but only Canada Don timed it right to get on top of Sawtooth between thunderheads.

I did a poor job of picture taking as usual, but here are some decent shots.

Suzanne Lake. One of the prettiest places on earth. The rock cliff is about 10' or so above the crystal clear and very deep water. Awesome swimming.
Tree Bank Wilderness Shore Reservoir

Sunshine, lunch, relaxing
Tree Summer Vacation Adventure Jungle

Caz is serious about his tanning
Human Barechested Bicycle wheel Forest Soil

Our youngest explorer with Mt Thielson in the background
Sky Cloud Sunglasses Goggles Highland

Young Tyler climbs Cowhorn
Vegetation Plant community Biome Bedrock Wilderness

SeenYourCrash and his far better half on top of Cowhorn and Tyler too! Diamond Peak 'peaking' behind SYC
Sky Cloud Mountainous landforms Rock Hill

What a Motley Crue!
Recreation Social group Mountainous landforms Leisure Adventure

Indigo Lake at the base of Sawtooth mountain.
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle

MaxSteel and Tyler
Eyewear Arm Human Smile Recreation

Indigo Lake. I like this spot too.
Body of water Nature Mountainous landforms Natural environment Natural landscape

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
If I would have known all the Bend folks were gonna be there, and Chris as well, I would have found the motivation to join yall. I figured it was just going to be another weekend of making fun of the same old folks again.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I hate to say it, but, we had fun!! Don't miss the struggle next year. The Bend folk pretty much made it a pact to do that weekend again and again......FUN!

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
12,968 Posts
Solo Struggler

Canada Don atop Sawtooth... the only one in our group to claim both peaks on this trip... he da man...

That's Cowhorn Mtn in the background...
Even though the rest of us wimped out, we all had mighty fun, didn't we.

--Sparty

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
Sasquatch said:
If I would have known all the Bend folks were gonna be there, and Chris as well, I would have found the motivation to join yall. I figured it was just going to be another weekend of making fun of the same old folks again.
It's always a fun weekend...it would be foolish to miss it.

Brock...

PS: here is my only photo from my weekend of fun...

Attachments

·
Known Mountainbiker
873 Posts
I feel like such a quiter for not bagging Sawtooth but I don't feel one-brazillionth as lame as Sasquatch for not even showing.

Bring it down. Bring it down. Go like this. Go like this. Ahhhhh.

Caz

·
Registered
927 Posts
Nice work Canada Don!! If Bad Brad had not been sitting at the intersection for Timp/Indigo lakes trail I might have joined Don on accident.

I feel you on the Caz, but we will bag that peak next time. It was no Bob Ross day up there.....they were angry clouds and dripping trees. Lets see you paint that Bob.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I don't consider getting off the high peaks wimping out when lightning is right on top of them. I was perfectly happy to only do the Cowhorn Challenge, it's a lot better than what I did last year.

·
Muy Borracho
217 Posts
Sawtooth/Cowhorn

Looks like an awesome place.... Where did you start the ride at and how are the trails? Looking at a map it looks like forest roads 215 or 630 are your options to get back in there? Any info would be appreciated. I'd like to go check that out.

Thanks.

Mike

·
Known Mountainbiker
873 Posts
El Guapo said:
Looks like an awesome place.... Where did you start the ride at and how are the trails? Looking at a map it looks like forest roads 215 or 630 are your options to get back in there? Any info would be appreciated. I'd like to go check that out.

Thanks.

Mike
Here's the tread from 2007:
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3988298

2008: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6766654 with Susan Lake.

The wetsiders take 21 in from oakridge to 2154 to Timpy lake. The Benders take 60 and 398 (4X4) from Crescent Lake.

Caz

·
Muy Borracho
217 Posts
cazloco said:
Here's the tread from 2007:
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3988298

2008: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6766654 with Susan Lake.

The wetsiders take 21 in from oakridge to 2154 to Timpy lake. The Benders take 60 and 398 (4X4) from Crescent Lake.

Caz

Very cool. Thanks. I would also like to thank you who posted pics of chicks in bikinis on this thread. I would like to encourage more of you to kindly do so. I think this will improve the overall exerpience for those of us who frequent the MTBR site.

Thanks.

·
Known Mountainbiker
873 Posts
I know how Sas likes my action shots:

Here's breakfast cooking.

Here's Sparty and SeenYourCrash waiting for their morning constitution.

Here's Bob finding new ways to wear his hippy hat and Matt's just sitting there. Alvin is just glad he's not being attacked by pitbulls.

Caz

·
Registered
927 Posts
Here is my contribution

I don't know how to put in captions on MTBR, but here are some of my favorite shots of the weekend. Cheers!

BFE

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts