Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i'm sure it will show up here sooner or later, but i'll be brave and be the first.

the cowbell xc cat 2 18-29 race was the most badly organized race i've ever participated in. lining up for our start was impossible, the course was marked incorrectly, the organizers did not seem to take responsibility for their mistakes, the list goes on...

my race was shown on the website as 14 miles. funny, the website also shows the lap as an 8 mile lap. then on the start-line they announced 2 6mi laps for a total of 12 miles. no problem, sounds okay. my lap was 4 miles and 22 minutes long. i did not wake up at 5am after spending saturday night at a wedding and drive to davidson to race a short track event... i announced as i passed start/finish that our lap was 4 miles and you guys messed up. nothing. i finished my second lap so my total time was 45 minutes and distance was ~8 miles. not what people paid $50 for.

for the first time in my life, i had to protest the race results because it showed me winning our race. greg from damascus passed me on our second lap and there was another rider way up the trail from us. greg wasn't even listed on the results. they had him electronically registered as a cat 1. the racer that we feel won wasn't listed at all, and nobody knew his name to even tell the race director. there was not anyone at the finish line writing race numbers as racers crossed the line. they were relying 100% on technology to score the race. thank goodness taylors laptop didn't freeze.

finally, after my protest they announced to me that i was 2nd, although i told them i was 3rd. oh well. i planned to hang around and accept my award and stand on the podium even though i wanted to hop in the car and head back to boone. i turned around and saw a line of 10+ racers waiting to protest other results and decided not to hang around. i'm curious to see if i get a 2nd or 3rd trophy. hopefully an empty podium made our point.

i want a refund. or at least a 50% refund. i am not sure i plan to race cowbell again next year. the kenda us cup east should be represented better than that. find events that have been around for years and run with precision and class. ie, massanuttan hoo-ha, bump and grind, any goneriding.com or chris scott event, etc.

i know we're just the sport class and not as big a deal as expert or pro, but taylor still raked in $500+ from us. i don't think its right that they're making full profit on such a failed attempt at a race.

on a positive note, congrats to greg and the other unknown racer who also beat me. and thanks to john fuzzy for letting thatcher borrow a bike.

whew.

·
Banned
2,100 Posts
I didn't understand why they changed the format from last year. I thought it was a great and fun event last year so I am glad I didn't go waste my time and money if it was that bad this year. Can't wait to hear the promoters excuse, but I am sure you will be the one called out for being an a$$ for complaining about it.

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Remember there reply to you asking about the change Cruso414..????

"there are a few reasons, being part of the Kenda Cup East, US Cup XC Series, thought a if people wanted to both races of the marathon and the XC they could, another being so hot in June, wanted to try something different and why not a a weekend of mtn bike racing..."

Sounds like they should have left well enough alone.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I was also in the sport 18-29 class and they had me as third and no way in hell did I come in third. By the end of the protests I had dropped back to 6th which is where I had finished in the first place. No one was there for the podium.

I too thought we would be racing the full course. I even asked at the start and the guy said you will race the full marathon course; yet like Joseph said it was only 4miles. The whole course was just green level trails all the technical sections where taken out.. The race was boring. I am sorry guys Fisher Farm is better than what you all got to see. Charlotte has a bunch or well run events please don't let this one race keep y'all away.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences on Sunday. My wife and I raced the Marathon on Saturday and other than the extreme heat ( recorded 115 on the heat index) the race and the event organizers were top notch.
From registration to the results everything flowed just fine. I wonder if they cut the course short due to the fact that some of the trail was in pretty muddy rough shape and was taken a beating by the end of the day?

We were actually going to race on Sunday but the rear shock on my wifes bike blew and would have been unridable for the XC.

·
Registered
386 Posts
single~minded said:
My take,

It was a good event for me...the heat was off the scale! Humidity like I have never felt before...I thought I seen steam coming off the ground:eek:

Taylor did a very good job on The Marathon event, course was challenging for me, competition was tough and the rest went went very smoothly. Hats off to him for a great job :thumbsup:

So for those that didn't race the Marathon.....well you missed out on a good challenge ;)

Out
I'll agree with Eric that the marathon was very well run and the course was awesome (although, those two climbs at the end were a bit much). The heat and a toasted hub kept me from finishing the full distance.

Two laps on the 8mi marathon course would have been a great Sport XC race.

·
Registered
440 Posts
MtnBikeNC said:
I'll agree with Eric that the marathon was very well run and the course was awesome (although, those two climbs at the end were a bit much). The heat and a toasted hub kept me from finishing the full distance.

Two laps on the 8mi marathon course would have been a great Sport XC race.
I am sure a lot of the things that went wrong were due to this being a new event and from everyone working so hard on the marathon event. I agree two laps on the marathon course would have been awesome which is what I am bummed about. Taylor made a really challenging course this year.. I raced the Oktoberfest race last year and he did an excellent job organizing and running it. I had a great time then.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just to clear things up... i don't think the cat 2 18-29 race was "shortened" as some people think. i believe that the race organizers marked the course for the kids race ~4miles but did not differentiate for a cat 2 course. i did not get to race the super-rad rock garden section visible from parking -OR- the section (presumably, i still don't know where i was supposed to go) with the wooden skinny bridge in the woods. not to mention that many kids were asking spectators 'where do we go now?' since they had no idea. there were NO signs (ie "cat 2 go this way" -or- "kids go this way"). no course marshalls, minimal tape at intersections, and seemingly no planning. when i finished my race and told the race committee that i think the course was incorrect they assured me that i did the proper course. i told them if i did a 14 mile course in 45 minutes then my average speed was like 17mph. they did not even believe me. there did not seem to be any thought to what race numbers we were assigned. people in my class had 65, 47, 100-something, and in general it seems like other than connie (who was very very helpful) and bruce dickman (best announcer on the east coast) no one around the scoring tent seemed to care about anything. [i must say i never saw taylor. i was told he was out walking the course making sure things went well for the later races. his diligence is apparent.]

also to clarify... i'm discussing the cowbell xc cat 2 18-29 race that took place this morning at 9am. it sounds like the marathon race went very well and people are satisfied. perhaps cowbellchallenge should stick to putting on 12hour races with one and only one course, or remember to have his people properly mark the courses (plural) when there are different categories racing at the same time. color coded tape would have done the trick. or a brief description of the course on the start-line. or a map on his website... thankfully i now have the 4 mile kids course in my gps history...

on another side-note rant it seems odd that goneriding.com is able to charge ~$35 for a race, provide music, excellent timing/scoring, AND provide bananas, bagels and WATER for racers. todd branham must have helped with the water...

as mentioned before: contact dave or teri at goneriding.com or chris scott at mtntouring.com or george (from the hoo-ha) for info on how to put on excellent bike races. contact me to arrange my entry fee refund.

exhale.

·
Registered
61 Posts
on another side-note rant it seems odd that goneriding.com is able to charge ~$35 for a race, provide music, excellent timing/scoring, AND provide bananas, bagels and WATER for racers. todd branham must have helped with the water...

as mentioned before: contact dave or teri at goneriding.com or chris scott at mtntouring.com or george (from the hoo-ha) for info on how to put on excellent bike races
Well just to make things fair........ A couple of years ago a group of us traveled to tsali for a gonriding.com event and it was the worst run race I have ever been to. Results were messed up and the course was changed at the last minute causing rider problems,sound familiar???
So please give it a break, things can happen to anyone who takes on the task of putting on a race!

BTW- no refund from goneriding.com

·
"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
665 Posts
Ugh....I guess building trails in my backyard (Richmond Hill) in Asheville and drinking free beer all night was the right call!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IAMSPECIALIZED said:
Well just to make things fair........ A couple of years ago a group of us traveled to tsali for a gonriding.com event and it was the worst run race I have ever been to. Results were messed up and the course was changed at the last minute causing rider problems,sound familiar???
So please give it a break, things can happen to anyone who takes on the task of putting on a race!

BTW- no refund from goneriding.com
i was going to give this a rest, but here goes...

1. every other race i've ever been to has multiple methods of keeping track of laps/results/times in case one method fails. yesterday there was only one person dealing with timing and if people wouldn't have protested the promoters would have no idea of who finished when/where. every other event i've been to has multiple people calling out/writing down racer's numbers as they roll through. results are messed up all the time. most promoters have a back-up method to straighten things out. these guys did not.

2. i've been to many events where the course was changed due to heat, mud, and these changes were announced on the start line. this instance does not reflect our course being changed. it reflects sending a cat 2 sport group out on a kids race course. nobody on our start line talked about 'at this fork turn left' or anything. there was tape across the trail leading to the rock sections. signs were left lying on the ground. this is different than changing the course at the last minute.

p.s. was your wife's bike a 2008 or 2009 specialized epic?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I dont know, i thought the race was well run both days. It didnt seem like the timing problems were any worse than average, and they were pretty good about changing the results. The Cat 1 XC race was the same course as the Marathon had been, so I guess they changed the course back for us. I really enjoyed the whole weekend.
And they might not have had free water on Sunday, but they did have 2 kegs of free Highland for us. Free Beer > Free Water

·
Stop reading...go ride!!!
81 Posts
mmm

Well I had initially thought i would be the first to complain, but obviously someone beat me too it. Let me also say that I'm not one to ***** and moan about things like this unless they were REALLY bad......

Lilke most of you I've done my fair share of races over the past 10 years, as well as put on several, with many, many amazing events and a few not so great ones. This one falls to the later. I raced the marathon on Saturday but pulled out at 4 laps....heat/wreck etc....

A few things i couldn't believe... Bussing us into town was a fun cool idea, but for the love of GOD put some water at the start line! There were racers in town for over an hour prior to the start sitting on curbs left to fend with shop owners to let them fill up their bottles. Simple fix. Second. During the race for the love of GOD have water when you come through transition!! I came through on my second lap(i was self supported) and expected to see coolers set up with water....but no. Noone had a freaking clue where the water was, finally someone chimes in, " check by the registration"...sure nuff, off the course there was water. I was pissed. Such a simple solution to this problem. This is "how to put on a race 101". Unbelievable.

The XC event was fine for me, no real complaints there....until the podium. I got second in the SS class and was shocked to see that all i got for my efforts was a bag of choco pretzels? WTF? I'm not gonna name names, but I was not the only one shoked. NEVER have i seen sutch a thing, even at small races you get something!! You had how many sponsors for this race? Is it part of the KENDA cup???? Then throw in a tire, lever, tube something? But pretzels? Hell i'd take a strip of the course marking tape!!! Still can't believe that a race of this maganitude, and part of a National series gives our pretzels. I know we(mtn bikers) do it for the love of the sport, and i fall right in there, but pretzels? I wasn't expecting anything big, but something other than pretzels!!!!! Come on guys, get it right next time, please.

Did i mention....PRETZELS????????

·
Registered
386 Posts
Actually, my only complaint from the marathon is that the water was all the way over there - makes no sense whatsoever. I had a hard time finding it after the race!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Well the factory Kenda Trailer was there selling tires and other accessories. Pretty cheap prices I might add. I picked up a Karma tire for 20 bucks.

·
Big Mac
4,989 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
Hmmm...bag of pretzels???

Complain to the sponsors. They'll get to the bottom of it. Kenda sponsored them?
They were CHOCOLATE pretzels! What's to complain about? Whiners!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts