Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently i have a 2006 kona stuff and my town, rapid city, SD is getting a very big dirt-jumping park. We had a flood about 30 years ago that killed 270 people and because of this, the town has tons of flood plain land left where no one can build. Out of a tragedy comes a blessing I guess. We also have many parks and 2 golf courses build where houses used to be because houses aren't allowed to be built there. I digress,now you know that my town is getting a large dirt jumping park but i am wondering how the cowan ds holds up on the trails. I have been doing some trail riding on my stuff and it isn't the best but it works, i just want to get full suspension for freeride stuff and drops plus it will work for jumping. All i would have to do is buy the frame so... is it a good idea?

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
hmm .... for freeride stuff, the DS I dont think will hold up really well. you're allready going to be putting enough pressure on that poor little shock in the back by dirtjumping. if I were you, i'd save up and get a howler. those things can do almost anything. or just keep your stuff and build up a cheap fully, saw a 03 BH comp go for $800.00 yesterday

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
poor little shock in the back by dirtjumping
todd_freeride, do you know who John Cowan is? dosh142, please ignore this advice, no howler.... the DS is where it's at (as far as the kona lineup goes).
But, I do not advise any big FR moves on that frame, but it's perfect for slopestyle trickery and dj flow. especially as an SS!!! :thumbsup: haha. you can even put a gyro on it for barspins if you desire.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I sure won't be doing any big freeride stuff yet. How could it be that dirt jumping would be bad for a shock when I dirt jump on my hardtail? Oh well, I hope that it will be better for trail riding than my stuff is. I just really want FS. I want a street ride, a djer, and maybe some freeride stuff but nothing to big. This looks like the bike for me.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
BikeSATORI said:
todd_freeride, do you know who John Cowan is? dosh142, please ignore this advice, no howler.... the DS is where it's at (as far as the kona lineup goes).
But, I do not advise any big FR moves on that frame, but it's perfect for slopestyle trickery and dj flow. especially as an SS!!! :thumbsup: haha. you can even put a gyro on it for barspins if you desire.
4" fox float for FR ? :skep: what are you on dude ? it would hold up to DJ abuse, but that would blow out so quick. I know a lot of people who have had trouble with it.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
todd_freeride said:
4" fox float for FR ? :skep: what are you on dude ? it would hold up to DJ abuse, but that would blow out so quick. I know a lot of people who have had trouble with it.
well, "dude", I'm actually ON an AIR SHOCK - and yes on my FR/slopestyle bike. It has not let me down, even though I too was skeptical enough when I picked up the frame to look into a Romic for future purchase, but never needed the upgrade in over a year now, and I don't see the chance coming either

now, how exactly do you know dj would blow out the fox shock so quickly? Is John Cowan riding a bomb? what is with your stereotyping? and who are all of these people you know with the problems, what problems did they have, with what components and exactly what were they doing? If you are going to bring up these opinions or "I heards" then please clarify or back it up. The forum is always open to opinion, as I like to express it too, but when you are trying to steer all of these people around with them, it can get old. XSL_WiLL calls you out on the subjects, I usually just ignore it, that is until you confronted me here..

by the way, have you ever seen the Fox Floats on an Arctic Cat Snowpro?

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
BikeSATORI said:
well, "dude", I'm actually ON an AIR SHOCK - and yes on my FR/slopestyle bike. It has not let me down, even though I too was skeptical enough when I picked up the frame to look into a Romic for future purchase, but never needed the upgrade in over a year now, and I don't see the chance coming either

now, how exactly do you know dj would blow out the fox shock so quickly? Is John Cowan riding a bomb? what is with your stereotyping? and who are all of these people you know with the problems, what problems did they have, with what components and exactly what were they doing? If you are going to bring up these opinions or "I heards" then please clarify or back it up. The forum is always open to opinion, as I like to express it too, but when you are trying to steer all of these people around with them, it can get old. XSL_WiLL calls you out on the subjects, I usually just ignore it, that is until you confronted me here..

by the way, have you ever seen the Fox Floats on an Arctic Cat Snowpro?
http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Rear_Shock/product_125341.shtml just for the problems. as like what these people said, the shock stuck, my friend just blew it out and fox wouldent take care of them. theres kind of a reason that freeride and downhill bikes use coil/shock, instead of 8" air shocks. agressive use tends to be abusive, and lets say you're like 5-10 miles from your car, and your shock blows out, you're stuck like that, atleast with a coil/shock the spring can atleast support your weight and get you back to your ride.

as for the people that I "have heard" and have actually seen products abused by are just my local riding buddies. just please ... if this guy is wanting to do some freeride how is a 4" shock going to feel when it fails ? its just stupid, I mean I love the DHX air, but every other fox air shock i've ridden just felt odd, and the manitou ones werent much better. the cowan DS would have been more cool with maybe a beffier shock. sure you could DJ a air shock, would probably do fine, but freeride ? 10 foot drop + 4" air shock :skep:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
how much money do you have to spend on a frame? i'd look at a Nicolai UFO with 3-4.5" of adjustable travel or for a bit more FR purpose a Nicolai Helius FR with 4.5-6" of adjustable travel. neither of them will be too good for trail riding, but i've heard that the Cowan DS pedals horribly anyways. you can get the Nicolai UFO in another model called the UFO ST with more travel also.

i vote if you can afford it get the NIcolai and then save your money and build your Stuff up as a bike for do it all purposes. maybe build it as a single speed eventually and build it up for more trail riding/dj.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
todd_freeride said:
http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Rear_Shock/product_125341.shtml just for the problems. as like what these people said, the shock stuck, my friend just blew it out and fox wouldent take care of them. theres kind of a reason that freeride and downhill bikes use coil/shock, instead of 8" air shocks. agressive use tends to be abusive, and lets say you're like 5-10 miles from your car, and your shock blows out, you're stuck like that, atleast with a coil/shock the spring can atleast support your weight and get you back to your ride.

as for the people that I "have heard" and have actually seen products abused by are just my local riding buddies. just please ... if this guy is wanting to do some freeride how is a 4" shock going to feel when it fails ? its just stupid, I mean I love the DHX air, but every other fox air shock i've ridden just felt odd, and the manitou ones werent much better. the cowan DS would have been more cool with maybe a beffier shock. sure you could DJ a air shock, would probably do fine, but freeride ? 10 foot drop + 4" air shock :skep:
I've worked with Fox shocks that had the "stuck-down" syndrome. It's just the positive air pressure leaking into the negative chamber. Call up Fox, get the new seal, or pay for a better set of seals. 20 minutes of work, and it's better than new.

The Cowan will bob excessively without that RP3, unless you throw on something with low speed compression and basically just dial it all the way in.

A lot of it depends on how the shock was valved. A lot of the failures also have to do with improper care and maintenance.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
I've worked with Fox shocks that had the "stuck-down" syndrome. It's just the positive air pressure leaking into the negative chamber. Call up Fox, get the new seal, or pay for a better set of seals. 20 minutes of work, and it's better than new.

The Cowan will bob excessively without that RP3, unless you throw on something with low speed compression and basically just dial it all the way in.

A lot of it depends on how the shock was valved. A lot of the failures also have to do with improper care and maintenance.
meh, still that sucks tho, I would be pretty pissed if I got my zone and immeaditly had to send in my Metal because it wasnt working properly

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.