Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
541 - 560 of 710 Posts

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
With the exception of a few days here and there, we have been in person all year. Strict mask wearing and contact tracing through seating charts has really helped.
Are you going by 3 or 6 feet, and are you routinely testing the kids?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
In theory we are 6' apart, but in practice it's more like 4-5' apart. No regular testing, just very aggressive contact tracing when a positive is reported. My wife is a virologist, and her lab is seeing a massive increase in positivity rates among school-aged children right now, many who are symptomatic, so the whole "kids don't get sick and only carry it" may be something else that is not 100% correct.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,568 Posts
In theory we are 6' apart, but in practice it's more like 4-5' apart. No regular testing, just very aggressive contact tracing when a positive is reported. My wife is a virologist, and her lab is seeing a massive increase in positivity rates among school-aged children right now, many who are symptomatic, so the whole "kids don't get sick and only carry it" may be something else that is not 100% correct.
I find the amount of misinformation to be repulsive. Folks really need to carefully get on with life, period. The idea that kids cannot become sick is pure rubbish. If they are virulent, they have been or are sick. Of course there will be the percentage that are asymptomatic.

On the bright side, this pathogen is not cancer... Nor is it one of those bugs that has a higher than 90% mortality rate.
And to further the bright side, there are vaccines in regular distribution. Being a "special care cat", I was vaccinated early. Now, Commandant Polis is going to make the vaccination available to all in the next 30 days or less. Hopefully, that helps this situation come to be less a fear or panic card for the media to continue playing.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
I was questioning that theory re: kids not being 'super-spreaders', etc. The notion that kids do not spread it is the basis for the re-opening argument. Is there an increase in your school community? We'll find out within a month here....

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
I find the amount of misinformation to be repulsive. Folks really need to carefully get on with life, period. The idea that kids cannot become sick is pure rubbish. If they are virulent, they have been or are sick. Of course there will be the percentage that are asymptomatic.

On the bright side, this pathogen is not cancer... Nor is it one of those bugs that has a higher than 90% mortality rate.
And to further the bright side, there are vaccines in regular distribution. Being a "special care cat", I was vaccinated early. Now, Commandant Polis is going to make the vaccination available to all in the next 30 days or less. Hopefully, that helps this situation come to be less a fear or panic card for the media to continue playing.
'Carefully' is the key word. While the mortality may be around 1-2%, I still want no part of it (well, I'm good but others are not yet in terms of vaccinations). A significant resurgence means going back to those limitations that sucked the life out of everyone.

·
Registered
255 Posts
At first it was only senior citizens that had to worry. They stayed home while the 30,40 somethings went to work, the bar, etc. Then cases rose in middle age groups, but teens/college kids were ok. Then they all kept partying and went to Miami. Then cases rose but kids were ok, so lets re-open schools. Then child cases rose. At the same time the vaccine was available to seniors, then the age of eligibility lowered and lowered, many states are 16 and up now.

My smooth brained armchair science says that a virus needs hosts. When those hosts are no longer viable (dead, vaccinated, or just staying home), the virus moves on to a new target group. Once all the 16 and up are vaccinated, cases in children are gonna go up. Kids are resistant, not immune. And all this time the virus has been learning, getting stronger.

Hopefully we can continue the pace of vaccinations and outrun the virus.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Everybody's right. I've been overthinking this. My drugstore scheduled my 2nd Moderna shot 4 days before the 28 day due date. This is allowed, but not recommended, by CDC guidelines. I've decided I should just take the early shot rather than worry about trying to schedule one for 28 days+. The pharmacist scheduled it then and they know what works. Also, I'll just get it over with sooner this way (day after tomorrow).

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I was questioning that theory re: kids not being 'super-spreaders', etc. The notion that kids do not spread it is the basis for the re-opening argument. Is there an increase in your school community? We'll find out within a month here....
Another great MedCram Q&A
Daniel Griffin, MD, PhD answers questions about misconceptions about children and COVID-19

A short side note on 3' Vs. 6' separation of desks in school at time 32:00
A discussion on the clearing of "long term" symptoms after vaccination as well. The whole thing is worth a look.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Another great MedCram Q&A
Daniel Griffin, MD, PhD answers questions about misconceptions about children and COVID-19

A short side note on 3' Vs. 6' separation of desks in school at time 32:00
A discussion on the clearing of "long term" symptoms after vaccination as well. The whole thing is worth a look.

Thanks. That helps put my mind at ease.

·
One ring to mash them all
2,604 Posts
Scheduled my 2nd dose of #teamPfizer on 4/13. Can't believe I'm all giddy about intentionally getting a few days of flu-like symptoms (maybe).

·
always licking the glass
2,658 Posts
Scheduled my 2nd dose of #teamPfizer on 4/13. Can't believe I'm all giddy about intentionally getting a few days of flu-like symptoms (maybe).
I'm a week behind you (also #teamPfizer) on April 19. I've never been so excited to get flu symptoms before, given how much I got them in the first one (all sorts of fun flu symptoms with in the first 18 hours, then fatigue and a headache for a week).

One of my riding buddies has long hauler's symptoms. He's signed up for the J&J and will hopefully get his next week. I've never been able to keep up with up him riding before, and now it feels like he's slowed down a lot, so I'd like to see him get back to himself.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
There is so much information/disinformation out there it's not even funny, but what's weird to me is that I remember going to the doctor for myself or my kids for flu-like symptoms and the doctor saying "We can't really do much for a viral infection, just treat the symptoms".
And now, since I haven't received the vaccine (or even look forward to it), I'm regarded as the wierdo or anti-vaxxer because I'm cautious or that I question things...Strange days.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Treatment and prevention are two different things. There aren't many viral infections that can be treated, which is WHY vaccination to prevent them in the first place is how they're dealt with. I'm not an expert, but I googled it and the first 542,000,000 results said so.

By your own logic, your knowledge of viral infections being difficult to treat should be the exact reason you want to get a vaccine.

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,727 Posts
...for flu-like symptoms and the doctor saying "We can't really do much for a viral infection, just treat the symptoms".
And now, since I haven't received the vaccine (or even look forward to it), I'm regarded as the wierdo or anti-vaxxer because I'm cautious or that I question things...Strange days.
While that's not as true as it once was (treating viral infections is becoming more of a reality -- ask Trump about monoclonals), it's EXACTLY THE REASON you want to get the vaccine for this (or any problematic) virus -- don't let it get a foothold by having your immune system "locked-and-loaded" for when it shows up.

·
chasing simplicity
1,308 Posts
My wife’s tennis partner and her husband got the Pfizer vaccine last week here in So Cal, second dose. Two days later the husband, 59, had a stroke. No underlying issues or adverse history whatsoever. Active, good tennis player. He had no issues with dose 1. Prognosis is good, no paralysis, but not good for his lifestyle. Can’t play tennis now, no clue when or if he ever can again. Sure as hell wouldn’t wish that on anyone. Makes me think twice about getting a vaccine, especially since I had COVID in January and have confirmed antibodies via blood test.

Think we will be hearing more of this kind of thing as time passes. Obviously there are some issues with the Astra Zeneca one as well. Right now rare and negative reports are outliers, but...early days.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My wife and I got our 2nd Pfizer shot yesterday. Both of us feel fine this morning. Had a little soreness yesterday in our upper arms and I still feel some of that today, but that's it so far. No flu like symptoms. Both of us are 56 years old, fwiw.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My wife’s tennis partner and her husband got the Pfizer vaccine last week here in So Cal, second dose. Two days later the husband, 59, had a stroke. No underlying issues or adverse history whatsoever. Active, good tennis player. He had no issues with dose 1. Prognosis is good, no paralysis, but not good for his lifestyle. Can’t play tennis now, no clue when or if he ever can again. Sure as hell wouldn’t wish that on anyone. Makes me think twice about getting a vaccine, especially since I had COVID in January and have confirmed antibodies via blood test.

Think we will be hearing more of this kind of thing as time passes. Obviously there are some issues with the Astra Zeneca one as well. Right now rare and negative reports are outliers, but...early days.
That sucks to hear and why a healthy person like me (46 years old) who hasn't had the flu in 22 years has no business or reason the get the vaccine RIGHT NOW.

541 - 560 of 710 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.