Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What length steerer tube would I need if I used something like a Thomson X4 stem? I am looking into purchasing a lightly used Marz. or Lyrik 2 step as well as a Covert frame. The Marz. I found has 8.75" on it.

What price should I pay for a used frame only in good condition (no headset, no shock, etc.)?

Some of you have them built up w/ a 150 - 160 fork, how much do your bikes weigh?

I was thinking about trying to find a Manitou 4 way swinger air for the rear. Thoughts??
How well do they climb w/ similar set ups?

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
the headtube is the same size on all the frame sizes, so you should be good with 8.75" of steerer, unless you like a very high control center.

i've got right on 8" of steer tube on my lyrik, with an x-4 stem, and 15mm of spacer under the stem. with that, the steerer is barely above the top of my stem, and i'm running an extra 5mm spacer up top.

a used covert frame may be hard to find, since they have pretty much only been out for a few months anyhow. a new one is just over a grand, slightly less if you get it without the shock, and then buy your own shock.

mine with a lyrik up front weighs in right around 33# per crappy bathroom scale weighing method. i think it's actually a little less, but haven't had it on a truly accurate scale to tell. this is with some decently light parts mixed in with average stuff, and some ti goodies here and there. nothing on it stupid heavy.

(i'm running mine with a swinger 4-way air, btw, and very much like the way it rides with it. caveat: i've only compared it with the rockshox pearl mc 3.1 on the bike. a nice shock, but i prefer the swinger ever so slightly more. the pearl is now the parts bin/backup shock.)

bandit350 said:
What length steerer tube would I need if I used something like a Thomson X4 stem? I am looking into purchasing a lightly used Marz. or Lyrik 2 step as well as a Covert frame. The Marz. I found has 8.75" on it.

What price should I pay for a used frame only in good condition (no headset, no shock, etc.)?

Some of you have them built up w/ a 150 - 160 fork, how much do your bikes weigh?

I was thinking about trying to find a Manitou 4 way swinger air for the rear. Thoughts??

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
bandit350 said:

To add a little to what Scrubby said, the stack height of the X4 stem is 40mm, head tube is 120mm. You would need to add the stack height of the headset you want to purchase and subtract 3mm (thomson recommended gap between the top of the head tube and top of the stem) for the minimum stack height (divide by 25.4 to get the value in inches).

To reiterate, 40mm + 120mm + headset stack - 3mm = minimum, 157mm + HS stack.

Add the thickness of each spacer you want to run under the stem to the value to get the desired steerer length.

$500-$600 would be a fair ballpark figure for a frame only in excellent shape, I'd say. Less for any damage.

The 4-way swinger is a particularly good rear shock for the Covert as it gives the best tire clearance in the rear. The downside is that it steals a little travel from the rear, but you can run big tires on there.

As to weight, I have mine setup with a 66RC2X, Cane Creek coil in the rear, big brakes, zero carbon, zero Ti, chi chi 28mm wide wheels, and it comes in at about 35lbs.

_MK

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
trailadvent said:
Saw a white convert 2day with 07 66sl @ 180mm in white dam its a sweet looking rig in person:thumbsup:

geom looks sweet even with 5.5 inches in the rear, same fork on preston Fr still not overly raked again seemed sweet, these things look they beg to be ridden hard;)
They do. I've got the white frame/fork theme going. I posted a few more photos in the Covert photo thread.

_MK

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
I got my first ride in on my Cover yesterday. I was really surprised by the geometry. I figured I would put the Lyrik at 160mm and leave it. But I found that I preferred the bike with the fork at 140mm or so. Longer and I found it wallowed a little bit in super-tight corners through the trees (to be expected).

I imagine, though, that when the going gets steep or wide-open, the 160mm will be money. I can't imagine a 180mm fork on there, especially without travel adjust. But hey, different strokes.

Oh, and I love this bike so far.

JMH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.