Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

I just bought the Covert frame and while installing the 2-ring chain guide (e-13 Heim 2) I realized that the space between the chain guide's plate and the smallest chainring is too narrow - the chainring bolts and the chain rub on the guide's plate.

Of course I'm not using any washers between the chain guide and the ISCG05 tabs and I have a single 2,5mm BB spacer installed on the drive side as it should be. Btw, the cranks are Shimano SLX.

Are there any clues on how to solve it? Install an additional 2,5mm spacer on the drive side and change the chainline?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
645 Posts
If the clearance problem is VERY small, you might be able to use the ISCG facing tool for a hammerschmidt to remove .5mm or more from the tabs.

Otherwise, yes... you would need to move the driveside crankarm out a small amount. With an SLX crankset on a 73mm shell I don't think you have any non-driveside spacers that you can move to the driveside. So adding a 2.5mm spacer will take away from the left arm/spindle engagement. It would be better to install a 1mm spacer if you can find one.

·
Registered
870 Posts
we have had similar issues buts its an easy fix, one is to face the ISCG tabs and your good, but if you dont have access to one you can use flat head chainring bolts, basically they are flat and do not have a rounded head..works great.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I had the same issue trying to fit a blackspire stinger. Eventually tried an E.13 DS with the steel back plate which is about half the thickness of the aluminum ones and it works perfectly. The steel back plate is actually lighter than the aluminum one anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.