Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Tree Crasher
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Covert or Spitfire? Spitfire or Covert? I've narrowed it down to these two. One has a single pivot location similar to my HiFi 29er, the other is VPPish. Other than that, similar geometries but the Covert a touch burlier for my 245 lbs. And I prefer something I can "pop" off the lips of jumps and rocks along the way. I'll be using the Talas 36 on my current bike.

Would like to pull the trigger by this Thurs. What do you think?

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Wheel
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Being a bigger guy I would say Spitfire (or the Rune). I love transitions bikes, but the higher leverage ratio really makes it hard for me to tune the suspension, I am 280lbs.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I can only speak for Covert and Transition as a company where I've had nothing but great experiences from both.

I also have a Bank and friends with other models and it all has me felling Transition really knows how to make ear to ear grin and confidence inspiring designs.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Spitfire.
Mainly because I am a Banshee fan.
The Spitfire has options for "low and slack" and "not quite that low and slack" geometries. I think both positions end up lower than the Covert.

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
2,119 Posts
As much as I love my Spitfire, it takes a bit to 'pop' off of things due to how long the frame is. But the upside is that you'll be riding one of the most stable and confidence inspiring bikes out there right now.
Someone made mention of the leverage ratio factor. Being on the cusp of where that becomes a problem weight wise (I'm around 195-200 depending on what I had for breakfast) I'd tread lightly with your decision.

·
Trying to be helpful
2,550 Posts
As another bigger guy, who has to be aware of lev ratios also, Id say Banshee Spitfire. You will tire quickly of the Covery blowing through travel and believe me the Spitfire is plenty tough enough for your 245lbs.

Good luck, post up what you decide.

·
Tree Crasher
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, leverage ratio. It has ruled out a few frame choices for me in the past. I chose these two since they offer what I'm after. A pedal friendly 5 - 6 inch bike with slacker HA and steeper seat tube that's also respectively light.

What irks me with the Spit are the low BB comments. Here in the NE rocks and roots are the norm.

Anyway Banshee is getting back to me with an updated list of dealers, so in the meantime I'll keep window shopping and try not to get too antsy.

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
2,119 Posts
rockhop said:
What irks me with the Spit are the low BB comments. Here in the NE rocks and roots are the norm..
Yeah, the low BB is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't features of the bike. We have plenty of rock out here in Utah, but nothing like you guys have back in the NE.
I did clip my pedals a bit when I first threw a leg over the Spitfire (no more so than any 29'er I've ridden) but once I got used to the nuances of the bike and it's low BB, it's going to be hard to go to anything much higher. The low, 13" BB coupled with a 67 degree or slacker HA (depending on your set up) is just crazy as to how stable the bike feels.

Another point that's been appealing to me after 2 VPP bikes is just how low mantainence the frame and pivots are comparitively speaking.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
why not rune vs. covert? both 150mm travel bikes. similar geometry and intentions. i'd go with the rune as i have one and i love it but it seems you are not comparing apples to apples.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
rockhop said:
Yea, leverage ratio. It has ruled out a few frame choices for me in the past. I chose these two since they offer what I'm after. A pedal friendly 5 - 6 inch bike with slacker HA and steeper seat tube that's also respectively light.

What irks me with the Spit are the low BB comments. Here in the NE rocks and roots are the norm.

Anyway Banshee is getting back to me with an updated list of dealers, so in the meantime I'll keep window shopping and try not to get too antsy.
I haven't had any problems, but then again it's actually the highest bike I've owned in a while, so I've gotten good at timing pedals. My last AM bike was a franken- Bottle Rocket with a 12.5 BB and 4.5" of travel, and my DH bike has 7.5" on a 12.8" BB so I'm a little weird like that.

·
Tree Crasher
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would need a bit more height! Meanwhile I'm also considering SC offerings such as their Butcher and Heckler, even the Blur LT. The specs are intriguing.

Banshee hasn't gotten back to me yet anyway.

@ qbert: I'm looking for something more pedal friendly (no DHX air) and my 06 Enduro already fills that niche. It's a steamroller but bobs like nobody's business.

·
is RAD
196 Posts
rockhop said:
I would need a bit more height! Meanwhile I'm also considering SC offerings such as their Butcher and Heckler, even the Blur LT. The specs are intriguing.

Banshee hasn't gotten back to me yet anyway.

@ qbert: I'm looking for something more pedal friendly (no DHX air) and my 06 Enduro already fills that niche. It's a steamroller but bobs like nobody's business.
The Rune is the obvious competitor to the Covert. I just got a Rune with a Monarch 4.2 and it pedals better than my previous single pivot bike that had less travel. What makes you think that the Covert will pedal any better than your Enduro?

I think if your keeping your Enduro, you will find the Covert or the Rune to be too similar to what you already have, so if the vote has to be between a Covert and a Spitfire, I would say Spitfire.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I'm trying to decide between the Spitfire and a Santa Cruz Nickel/Butcher. I ruled out the Rune because the seattube is 1/2" too short in the proper size for me. I'm leaning towards the Spitfire, because of it's more active suspension design and easy to maintain pivots. That said, I'm a bit concerned about the bushings in wet weather, as I'm also on the East coast, and Santa Cruz has had reliable bearings in the past. I wouldn't be too hard on Banshee for not getting back to you for a couple of days. They have been running into some unfortunate events lately, and I'm sure they're scrambling a bit to keep everything on track.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
mountainbiker24 said:
I'm trying to decide between the Spitfire and a Santa Cruz Nickel/Butcher. I ruled out the Rune because the seattube is 1/2" too short in the proper size for me. I'm leaning towards the Spitfire, because of it's more active suspension design and easy to maintain pivots. That said, I'm a bit concerned about the bushings in wet weather, as I'm also on the East coast, and Santa Cruz has had reliable bearings in the past. I wouldn't be too hard on Banshee for not getting back to you for a couple of days. They have been running into some unfortunate events lately, and I'm sure they're scrambling a bit to keep everything on track.
do you mean the toptube is a 1/2" too short? what size frame are you looking at?

·
smartass
700 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
I haven't had any problems, but then again it's actually the highest bike I've owned in a while, so I've gotten good at timing pedals. My last AM bike was a franken- Bottle Rocket with a 12.5 BB and 4.5" of travel, and my DH bike has 7.5" on a 12.8" BB so I'm a little weird like that.
I'm with HAB. Once you get used to a low bb, you won't want to ride anything else.

I ride a Blur 4x with a bb height of 13" as my xc bike in plenty of east coast tech, and the height is a non-issue.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
I'm in the low BB is fine camp. My Spitfire ought to show up in a couple days. The prior frame has a 13" BB and the same travel, so I'm more or less used to it now.

I scrape things with my 12" BB and 6" fork hardtail more than with the suspension bike.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
The BB height issue is a bit odd. 5 years ago the standard for a 5" bike was about 13". The Stumpjumper, the Jamis dakar XLT, the Cannondale Prophet in low mode, etc.

As we got more into longer travel bikes they upped the BB, but the height isnt really all that out of line with "normal".

And like Scrub, I have a hardtail with a 12.25-12.5" bb (depending on travel) and I scrape a few things, but I got used to it pretty fast.

·
Ride TAS
40 Posts
I have 2 friends that have Spitfires and I can safely say that they are awesome.
We ride Mt Fromme here on the Northshore in Vancouver and neither of them have had a problem with the low BB.
Buy a Spitfire you will not be let down.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts