Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Covert arrived a few days ago. The bike rides like a dream. A fierce but insanely fun little dream. I still haven't figured out what front dérailleur to use though. I tried a few but I can't get the cables running right.

So, I need some suggestions, what front dérailleurs are tried and working for you Covert owners?

Kindly,

G

·
AjonG said:
My Covert arrived a few days ago. The bike rides like a dream. A fierce but insanely fun little dream. I still haven't figured out what front dérailleur to use though. I tried a few but I can't get the cables running right.

So, I need some suggestions, what front dérailleurs are tried and working for you Covert owners?

Kindly,
I would start with the one Transition specs which is the Sram X-Gen or X-9 as its called for 2007. I have run them on all 3 of my Transitions without a problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well I think that the problem you may have is an interference between the derailleur cable and the swing arms. On Transition web page you can see what derailleurs they "recommend" -Front Derailleur: 34.9mm Clamp, Top-pull, (Top Swing Shimano or Low Mount SRAM)- I have seen that those derailleurs that don´t interfere are those in which the clamp is below the swing arm, I think this is called top Swing, but I am not sure.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
the low-clamp SRAM X7, in terms of cable positioning, is the best fit for the Covert but it's a heavy kinda junky derailleur. the X9 does not come in a low-clamp version, and does not work on the transition (the seatstays get in the way.

i ended up using the shimano XT FD M760, which is the low clamp XT (i.e. 'top swing'). BUT to work right on this frame, attach the end of the cable to the REAR SIDE of the pinch bolt (rather than the normal, front side location). this will ensure that the shift cable does not rub the paint on the frame.

for extra credit, take a small triangle file, and file a groove behind the pinch bolt. a quick and easy mod.

there are some older Shimano derailleurs that will work well, according to the Transition web site, but i searched and couldn't find those obsolete derailleurs in the 34.9 clamp size.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,659 Posts
X-Gen didn't work on mine because of cable interference, but a top swing XTR from one of my other bikes is perfect.:thumbsup:

So stoked... the rest of the missing parts should arrive this week.:rockon:

JMH

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
AjonG said:

Kindly,
I'm running a Shimano XTR. Top Pull, Bottom Swing, off my Turners. Couple years old, 3rd frame it is on. I haven't had any issues and I really don't see why anyone would? It bolted right on and I unbolted the shock to let the seat tube rest against the tire to get an idea of how low I can mount up the FD as I run a bash guard instead of big chain ring. Cables were not a problem either.

Do you have any photos of what the issue is? I'm curious to see.

edit: I looked at photos of my Covert and it looks like there may be possible issues of the cable rubbing the seat stay, near the bridge? I don't think I'm having this issue, but it looks like a potential one.

_MK

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
PuraVida said:
Running a SRAM X-Gen. Little, middle, bashguard on the crank. Working just fine.
Yeah, I'm thinking if you run a bash instead of a big ring, the FD is lower, the angle on the cable less extreme and the clearance between the swing arm and the cable in increased.

:idea:

_MK

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think it does help. Still not perfect but it works. I have a short piece of cable housing between the cable housing stop above the derailleur and the derailleur right where the cable hits the swingarm to protect the frame. The tension of the cable keeps the piece of housing in place. Main thing to be careful of if you run a bashguard is to keep the derailleur high enough on the downtube so that it doesn't hit the frame on the chainstay when the shock compresses.

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
PuraVida said:
Main thing to be careful of if you run a bashguard is to keep the derailleur high enough on the downtube so that it doesn't hit the frame on the chainstay when the shock compresses.
Absolutely. With the Covert it appears that the seat tube/tire contact is roughly the bottomout point of the suspension (for 2.3+ tires). With my 2.5 IRC Trailbear, I unbolted one the shock mounts and let the frame sink into the travel until the seat tube hit the tire. I left a few mm of space between the bottom of the front dérailleur cage and the top of the chain stay. That how it sits. It is much lower than I could get it on my Turner.

_MK

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
SRAM x-gen/two ring/bashring/Blackspire chainguide setup with no issues. The cable comes within a mm of hitting my stays, so when building up, I stuck a piece of frame protective carbon tape junk on the stay. No problems; seems unrubbed so far. This is on a small size Covert.

You can run the cable more on the inside of the clamp bolt to get a bit more clearance if needed too. Did that with my old frame, and it worked fine shifting-wise.

As an aside: still no tire clearance issues. Seems like those of us running the Swinger have less a problem. Not sure exactly why. I've gotten full travel several times, but with no harsh bottoming of the shock, or tire rub.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
good discussion. wanted to point out that with a bashguard, it's the size of the middle chainring that dictates the optimum shifting location of the fr derailleur. i'm currently running a 34T but i may switch to a 36T middle ring. OTOH, running the 34T allows me to keep the fr der a little lower, which helps minimize the weird angle of the cable to the XT 760 front der.

just to reiterate, the OLD top-swing shimano shifters should work fine -- but you can't buy 'em new in the large clamp size (34.9 mm if i remember correctly). So fine, if you have an old shimano shifter whose pivots aren't worn out, you're set, but otherwise you have to use an SRAM or newer shimano (FD 760 for example).

this photo is of my covert back when i first built it -- 22 / 32 / 44 triple, since the bash guard hadn't arrived yet -- and the der was set to just barely clear the big ring. running the cable thru the right hand side of the pinch bolt (rather than the left), esp with a small groove filed in by hand, works well. The shifter cable angle out of the cable stop is sharper than i'd like, but I put in an Avid ferrule which has a built-in plastic tube liner that protrudes an inch or so; when i used a standard aluminum ferrule, the shifter cable was starting to 'saw' a groove in the ferrule, but the Avid ferrule seems to solve that issue.

I assume Transition did some product testing with a triple ring up front. I also assume that on the proto bikes w/ a triple, they were using old shimano derailleurs that routed the cable well. Or they routed the shifter cable to the inside (as scrublover suggests) on the SRAM derailleur.

at any rate, i'm running 22/34 / bash now with a slightly lowered XT 760 derailleur with the grooved pinch bolt base modification, and it is working perfectly.

the lack of tire clearance on the seat tube is therefore the more interesting issue to me. i really wonder if in fact some shocks have slightly different eye-to-eye or travel, since the tire rub data points seem to vary from person to person. one guy posted he had 1/2 inch clearance at bottom out with the relatively tiny casing on the 2.2 michelin -- meanwhile, my maxxis ignitor casing is about the same size as his michelin, but the tire (barely) touches the seat tube. very strange.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Found some time yesterday to experiment with the front dérailleur. Froriders tip does the trick. there's only about 1 mm clearance to the seat stay. But still, that's enough.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.