Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently had my wife and my bike's stolen from us. We both had Kona's (Kikapu Delux and Kikapu). I've been looking for a new bike ever since (Actually 2 weeks, but it seems like longer!).

Anyway, I stumbled across the Covert and it looks right up my alley. I wanted a good pedaler, that I could ride hard and not worry about too much. Something XC oriented but beefier. This looks perfect!

Problem is money, as always. What can I expect to spend on a decent XC build for this bike? I want something that is decent, as in not an insult to the frame. (Deore on a Covert would not be worth it in my opinion).

I was thinking going Sram to save some dough. Not sure what fork, maybe find a leftover at my LBS (they'll be building it, as I don't trust myself to do a full build). I figure if I buy a bunch, if not all the parts at my LBS, they will probably build it for cheap/free.

Basically, what do you think I'll have to spend, minimum, to get a decent Covert for me to build on as money comes available? I have nothing right now. No leftover parts or anything. All was lost in the theft. Sigh.

Thanks in advance!

ToddM

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
tobyson21 said:
Problem is money, as always. What can I expect to spend on a decent XC build for this bike? I want something that is decent, as in not an insult to the frame. (Deore on a Covert would not be worth it in my opinion).
Deore works great - not as light, I don't know about this year's version, but not the ball or roller bearing der pulleys, but it works. I have Deore stuff on one bike and shifters on another and it all shifts fine and I've learned rocks and falls don't discriminate as far as breaking stuff.

I also have some inexpensive wheels with Deore hubs and they roll great and especially after the first bearing re-pack and cone adjustment. You can get inexpensive fairly strong wheels with Deore - XT level hubs.

OTOH, one is probably foolish to not get better parts if they'll be upgraded in a few years and even more foolish to get things you can't really afford.

At last check medium Coverts were not available for a while unless you find a dealer with existing stock.

Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah maybe that was harsh on Deore. I get your point.

I'm just a strict budget type of guy, engineer cheapness is in my blood. I think i'll be able to pull this off. Thanks for the PM's and advice.

T

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.