Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been eyeing the Covert to replace my 05ish heckler for some time now. It just so happens that they are blowing out the remaining stock of size large which is exactly what I need. I emailed Mike to ask about the fine print and he said all is good to go except they won't honor the warranty for tire rub issues. In your opinion, should this be a deal breaker? I'm thinking no but I just wanted to get the communities response.

Tell me why I shouldn't grab a covert for $650 otherwise I'm going to be riding one in a few weeks.

Thanks for the advice/info...

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I am very pleased with mine and would not hesitate. It's a longer wheelbase bike than the Heckler but I have adjusted to riding it and appreciate that when riding fast rough and steep stuff. It may not be as sophisticated as other bike on paper, but I've ridden some of them and no way found their hither prices worth it.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
yea I sent back a tire rubbed frame, but I spent more money on mine than that. If I just ignored it... it wouldn't have mattered it didn't effect the ride at all. In fact I think the geo might be a little better on the tire rub frames because the chain stays are shorter (not sure) but the two frames rode different

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Paging Shirk!

Maybe Shirk will chime in here.

He's been riding a Covert as his primary bike for the past 9 months or so. He lives in North Vancouver, does a fair bit of epic XC, but also rides all of the tech trails on the Shore on his Covert. I believe he's got a Lyrik on the front. Not sure how it's held up, but I know he was still riding it this summer.

I wouldn't view the "tire rub" issue as a deal breaker, but that's your call.

EB

·
customized
3,123 Posts
3200 miles here on my Covert. Tire rub never bothered me. I mostly run a 2.25 Schwalbe Albert. A Nevegal 2.35 would rub. I now have the newer frame, I don't think the Nevegal would hit anymore.

I love this bike!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
ebxtreme said:
Maybe Shirk will chime in here.

He's been riding a Covert as his primary bike for the past 9 months or so. He lives in North Vancouver, does a fair bit of epic XC, but also rides all of the tech trails on the Shore on his Covert. I believe he's got a Lyrik on the front. Not sure how it's held up, but I know he was still riding it this summer.

I wouldn't view the "tire rub" issue as a deal breaker, but that's your call.

EB
Hey,

Yeah I got a baby blue Covert this spring and put the beat down on it. It has taken all the abuse I have thrown at it here on the Shore and it has laughed.

I slapped my old 05 66 on it for a Whistler day and it was fine, the Lyric has been a perfect match for everything.

I run a 2.35 Nevegal on the rear with no rub issues.

Love the bike, but also really interested to see the new frame that is going to replace it.

Thinking of snapping up a x-small for the gf to replace her old Stinky.

Check last months Singletrack contents page for me on a white Covert in Kelowna, or this months issue night riding on the Shore and the article on the Carry, not sure the page number. Dan Barham takes wicked pictures.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pinoymr05 said:
covert closeout does not come with the rear shock. You can still buy it from transition its also in their closeout deals
They must have had a change of heart because this is what the description used to say...

Description: We're closing out our generation 1 Coverts! This is the original, designed around a 2.35 or smaller rear tire. Running some 2.35 or larger tires may cause a cosmetic rub on the seat-tube . Price includes an RP23 shock, derailleur hanger, and QR seatpost clamp. Get a great trail bike at an awesome price! NOTE- warranty will not cover tire to seat-tube rub on these frames.

Original Price: $849
ON SALE PRICE: $637

·
Registered
645 Posts
fl jay said:
They must have had a change of heart because this is what the description used to say...

Description: We're closing out our generation 1 Coverts! This is the original, designed around a 2.35 or smaller rear tire. Running some 2.35 or larger tires may cause a cosmetic rub on the seat-tube . Price includes an RP23 shock, derailleur hanger, and QR seatpost clamp. Get a great trail bike at an awesome price! NOTE- warranty will not cover tire to seat-tube rub on these frames.

Original Price: $849
ON SALE PRICE: $637
It was not a change of heart; it was correcting an epic mistake in the description. In the quote above you can see the "Original Price" matches the frame's MSRP without a rear shock.

Sorry folks! But there are some killer closeout deals on shocks as well. If you are dead set on the RP23 you are welcome to give us a call and we can manually add one to your order.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.