Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ridden Adrenalin's courses at Hurkey Creek and Laguna Seca, but I've heard that the Canadian courses are tougher. Does anyone know anything about this course? Better yet, does anyone have a map?
Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
If it's the same as last year, then it's technical but fast. Only one major climb but lots of small ones. Good ratio of rocky, steepish technical to fast, hard packed trails.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Overall, would you say the course is more hardpack? What about the technical bits? Is it loose rocks, or just jutting rocks? Any idea how long the one big climb is?

Did the course turn into a dust bowl later on during the race, or did it hold up pretty well?

I'm trying to determine what type of tires I'll run from the start.

Thanks!
:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, good attention to detail! Hope we get some answers. In the meantime, I got a pdf course map from the people at Adrenalin for last year's event. If anyone's interested, let me know.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'd love to have a copy of that map to check out! I'd very much appreciate it being emailed to [email protected] . :)

Have you heard anything about the official event hotel? There was an email a few weeks ago that the hotel was being arranged, but I haven't heard anything since. After a 2 day drive up there, I'd like to have a nice bed to sleep in before the pain begins. :)

Thx mtbpharmhand!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ok, I'm going to see if I remember this but it's been a year.

Right off the start is a downhill section, a little chaotic on the first lap but was spread out after that. You carry some good speed down there and you have to watch out for 2 big waterbars that could throw you off. At the bottom of the hill is a right hander onto a wooden gangplank that takes onto a riverbed that is rocky but there's a path through it, you cross the river on a skinny log and climb up the other side. After that you have a good section that is part pavement leading a really fsat flat section that is a walking path. One tricky chicane one it but other than that let it rip. That goes on for about a 1/2 mile than turns to a rocky climb that's not to steep but you have to pick your way through the jutting rocks. The trail turns left into the trees and there's a short steep section that was dusty and loose rocks. (Keep in mind that it was unusual in BC last year with the dry weather and at that time Whistler wasn't the only place closed due to a fire hazard- so it was really dry). The trail then rolls up and down on singletrack across the fallline for about a kilometer or so. Nothing to bad but there are some rooty sections as well as more jutting rocks. After that you pop out onto a fire road. You can hammer this part. It's rolling up and down for a bit and double back on it's self.

After the fire road seection, you take a left into the woods again and do a gentle climb but it is rooty with a couple of log bridges. You pop out on a rock slab and then go down that onto another fire road section for a little bit into you go back into a freshly cut ction for about 1/2 a minute the back onto the fire road and a small climb that is deceiving until you have to go down a tricky downhill section that was tight and loose. You the go downhill into a valley and you need to carry your speed for the next climb which is the first real climb you come to. It's got jutting rocks but you can pick your way through it.
The climb was really hot last year 36-37 C and directly in the sun. Way better when it cooled down.

After the climb it was flat on the road for a little bit until a sharp left that climbed up and got gradually steeper. I don't know anybody that rode all of this part and it was easier just to walk and save energy as you could walk about as fast as you could ride. That lead to a fast flowy section on crushed gravel that is normally for dog walking. A couple of tight corners to watch out for though. You then drop down on the fire road back to near the fresh section and turn right up a climb that's about 1 minute or so long at an 5-7ish% grade. (this was my hero section where i passed Tinker. who cares if he was on his 15th lap :)

At the top of this it gets fun for awhile after a roliing section. High speed descent on hard pack singletrack for what seems like forever. Watch out for one sharp corner though. I was doing around 60km/h down here. This part spits you out in a parking lot and avoid the temptation to jump in the lake. Your then on a road for a bit until you cross an intersection a take a path behind some houses. This leads to the last and hardest climb. It's one big switchback that changes grades along the way but the steepest part is about 8%. It was a few minutes long. At the top you just hammer straight downhill to the start line. Unless your doing it solo in which case you have another short loop to do but I never rode it.

Hope that helps. Our lap times were averaging about 45 minutes but we were a big corporate team. Lots of time for the big park if you do it that way :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Very nice write-up!!!

Thanks a ton. This report really gives a good idea of what to expect. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts