Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, ran into my first bit of trouble with my bike maint. seems that my rear deraileur allen bolt that holds the cable in place came loose, and is now MIA.

Where can i find one of these? will they have it at a hardware store round town, because i am two hours from any LBS?

Also, if I end up having to get the hardware from online i will be getting a few other things as well.
what is the best spoke wrench i can purchase online?

Last one i swear....sorry

What kind of oil can i use to lightly oil my stanchions( spelling prob not rite, but in a bit of a hurry, forgive me )? i know it will be some sort of non-corrosive, but is there anything to use that i could pick up local?

thanx for all your help, guys! i would be lost without it!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Your LBS most likely would just give you a bolt for free if you were to pop in, but that's a long drive.... You possibly could find a temp replacement at lowes or something, I haven't actually tried looking but it would seem logical.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, i found the screw at lowes. thanx! also did my first DIY tune to my gears. im feeling kinda proud about it.
only thing is i had to use a regular flat washer to substitute for the original washer that had the arm to keep in the cable.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Now, the next time you go to the bike shop, ask them if they have the derailleur parts you need to put it back to original. The ones I go to will usually give me stuff like that for free if they have them around from salvaged parts.

Putting oil on the stanchions externally will collect dirt. If you do it anyway, at least do it very sparingly and wipe off any excess oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.