Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really new to the mountain biking scene and haven't even gotten a bike yet..... I'm willing to spend about $600 on a bike just to see how much I like doing it. I was thinking about getting a used GT XCR 1000.... for $450 it has about 5-6 years off use, no upgrades.... do you think this is a good bike to get or should I get a brand new one? and which brand new one? How do I know if the shocks and front forks are still good? How do I put air into the shocks or do I even put air in it? Sorry I got so confused trying to read up about parts and stuff like that.
:confused:

·
Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
itsmekwen said:
I'm really new to the mountain biking scene and haven't even gotten a bike yet..... I'm willing to spend about $600 on a bike just to see how much I like doing it. I was thinking about getting a used GT XCR 1000.... for $450 it has about 5-6 years off use, no upgrades.... do you think this is a good bike to get or should I get a brand new one? and which brand new one? How do I know if the shocks and front forks are still good? How do I put air into the shocks or do I even put air in it? Sorry I got so confused trying to read up about parts and stuff like that.
:confused:
Well, I owned a xcr series gt i-drive and it was good bike. The thing is, the I-drives were prone to cracking in the seatstay area. I really believe that these bikes that cracked were really beat, but I could be wrong. As far as the price, I am not sure its a good deal. It depends on the componets that are on it and what condition its in. I have no idea what year and parts are on that bike. The price sounds steep to me, but I am sure someone else will know better. Also, since the seatstays are prone to cracking, a warranty would be nice, but is out of the question since its used.
As far as filling the rear shock with air, you need a shock pump that puts high psi air into it. You will know if it needs air if there is a valve on the side that kinda looks like a schrader tube valve on the side of the shock. If it has a big coil spring on it, its not air. The front fork may also be air. I hope this helps you out some.

·
Phil from San Diego
581 Posts
New bike!

I'd go shop for a new bike with the $600. =) You'll have the fun experience of test riding different bikes and narrowing down to the one you like best and feels the best.

Then you can take that brand new bike home knowing that it hasn't been thrashed around by the previous owner. You'll have the satisfaction of owning a brand new bike that fits you.

So go out there and start shopping. ;)

Phil.

·
Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
Prexus2005 said:
I'd go shop for a new bike with the $600. =) You'll have the fun experience of test riding different bikes and narrowing down to the one you like best and feels the best.

Then you can take that brand new bike home knowing that it hasn't been thrashed around by the previous owner. You'll have the satisfaction of owning a brand new bike that fits you.

So go out there and start shopping. ;)

Phil.
Yeah, I gotta agree. You get a warranty and your LBS will always go to bat for you if a problem arises.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^ I also agree with that.

The parts on the used bike are:
-Rock Shox SID XC Long Travel

-Fox Vanilla Float R Air Rear Shock

-XT Derailleurs and Cranks

-LX V-Brakes

-XT Shifter/Brake Lever Combo

-Azonic Stem

-Time ATAC Pedals

-GT Bars and Seatpost

If I was to get a new bike.... i might get the GT i-drive 3.0... what do you guys think?

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
itsmekwen said:
...If I was to get a new bike.... i might get the GT i-drive 3.0... what do you guys think?
The components on the used bike sound decent, but if the bike has 5-6 years of use it probably isn't worth what the seller is asking. It's really hard to say without seeing it.

Not all that familiar with GT's, but I don't think you're going to get near a new one for your budget.... probably can't buy the frame for that price. You should be able to get a good solid new hardtail with decent components for your $600. You won't be able to get a good new FS bike for that budget. You're probably looking at around the $1000 range for a decent entry level FS bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FreeRangeChicken said:
The components on the used bike sound decent, but if the bike has 5-6 years of use it probably isn't worth what the seller is asking. It's really hard to say without seeing it.

Not all that familiar with GT's, but I don't think you're going to get near a new one for your budget.... probably can't buy the frame for that price. You should be able to get a good solid new hardtail with decent components for your $600. You won't be able to get a good new FS bike for that budget. You're probably looking at around the $1000 range for a decent entry level FS bike.
The GT i-drive 3.0 is a $600 FS bike. I mean it doesn't have all the components that I would like it to have but if I really like riding i'm pretty sure I'll upgrade things. I don't have just $600 to spend but looking for a newbie bike for around that price.

·
Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
itsmekwen said:
The GT i-drive 3.0 is a $600 FS bike. I mean it doesn't have all the components that I would like it to have but if I really like riding i'm pretty sure I'll upgrade things. I don't have just $600 to spend but looking for a newbie bike for around that price.
What he is trying to say is if you buy a hardtail for that money, you will have much better parts than the FS. If you ride the gt and like it, buy it. I have a 2003 3.0 and it came with some pretty descent parts than my 2000 did. Just buy the upgrades when you break what is on there, unless it really irks you. what year are you looking at? 04, 05?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm looking at a 2004. That's why it's $600 new on sale... well it doesn't cost that much more it retails at $749.00 at least thats what it says on this site. I have read reviews on it and had my mind pretty much made up but just needed other people's opinion. I will upgrade parts when I have to.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'm also going to suggest a new hardtail. You don't get a lot of FS bike for $600, but you'll get a pretty dang good hard tail. For a guy just learning it'll be more trouble-free and it'll handle a lot more like what you expect.

See, it's the frame and suspension that are more difficult and expensive to upgrade than the rest. My preference is for a higher quality, simpler thing than a cheaper thing with more to go wrong.

Now the bike you're looking at won't suck. But I'd go a different way.

In any case, ride lots, and don't spend money on stuff that won't take you to another level.

Ron

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^ Damn I guess I'm going to have to spend alot more money than I expected unless I do get a hardtail. I'm going to look into some hardtails now I guess... you guys have any suggestions, brand reccommendations? Sorry for all the questions but then again I am a newb to these things.

·
Phil from San Diego
581 Posts
If you go with hardtail, and I agree with the others that it's the best choice for your situation, you'll have quite a list of great bikes to choose from. =)

Might help if you go over to the product review section and sort the bikes by price and look for the bikes that gets the mtbr high rating award. But you'll still need to go out and test ride them to see which bikes feels the best to you.

Have fun. =p

Phil

·
Registered
48 Posts
i think it would be great if there was a sticky thread here that grouped bikes by their price range and riding style. there seems to be a lot of questions on this. I know they could go through the product review section but i find that thing is pretty off sometimes. I did a search for a giant iguana and the product detail was of a 03 model which doesnt come close to the componentry that the 05's have nor is the msrp even close.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.