Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

Firstly I mostly ride on paved trails, the reason I got a mountain bike instead of a road bike was because of my size at the time when I bought it. Since then i've lost about 130 lbs and am in a little bit better shape.

Yesterday I did a 30mi paved trail ride on my specialized rockhopper and I noticed a couple of things that bother me and I wanted to see if these things are just me being kind of a newbie or if it's a problem with the bike.

1) When I pedal my legs seem to be able to completely straighten out at the bottom of each pedal. I don't know if this means the seat is too low or if the bike is too small, but it feels like I am losing some efficiency each time I pedal because of it.

2) The lowest gear seems too 'loose', if i am going down even a modest incline and I pedal, the pedals free spin and my effort isn't being converted into motion.

3) The bike in general just seems really slow and inefficient. I don't know if it's because it's a mountain bike and I am essentially riding it on a paved surface or if it's just me being somewhat inexperienced or a problem with the bike's setup. (air pressure, suspension, etc)

does anyone have any tips to help me get a little more out of this specific bike that I have? or should I just get a road bike?

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,604 Posts
Dude you really need to pay more attention to your bike.

1) Lower your seatpost a little bit.

2) Shift your gears

3) Maybe if you shifted up and actually knew how to ride a bike it would be better, but yeah a city (urban) bike for $500 should be fine.
Unless you are a spammer.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Few things:
1. Congrats on losing the weight
2. Mountain bikes can be just as fast as road bikes, just more comfortable
3. Google "proper bike fit", but first lower your seat post, if your legs are almost straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke, you're making it super hard on your knees.
4. Stop pedaling in the lowest gear, unless you are talking about the highest gear, which on the rockhopper would be 44-11. At 44-11 and 120 rpm (pretty fast), you'll be going around 40mph (maybe 37mph if you have an older 26" rockhopper) This is pretty damn fast.
5. Since you're riding on bike paths, put some air in your tires, up to their max, or better yet, install some slicks. Lock out your fork if possible, does it make you feel more efficient?

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Dude you really need to pay more attention to your bike.

1) Lower your seatpost a little bit.

2) Shift your gears

3) Maybe if you shifted up and actually knew how to ride a bike it would be better, but yeah a city (urban) bike for $500 should be fine.
Unless you are a spammer.
Probably just a new rider looking for some good advice. We were all there once.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.