Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Steady Creepin'
486 Posts
That's gotta be Lake Erie, it's got that certain blue-green colour that Erie always seems to have?

I'm really thinking hard about a CC or Pacer for nice long summertime rides like that. Cool pics.

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have to agree with surlywhore. The CC is perfect for everything. The frame has eyelets all over it for fastening almost any rack, pannier, fender or whatever your heart desires as well as having the canti capability just in case you’re getting down and dirty and need the clearance. You can also run linears if you want to have a full roadie rig. I have it set up as a full CX bike but since it is also my commuter I’ll be hanging some racks from it this season for my rides to/from work. I’m tired of the backpack.

Spacing at the rear allows for bigger tires (if you wish), you can run both mtb or road hubs, and you can also easily make it into a single speed or geared ride without problem. The thing is so versatile it’s almost like a Transformer.

Out of all my rides, it’s the one that gets the most action as I feel great doing the urban thing on it but when I want to duck out and hit some rougher stuff there’s no issues.

It’s a lot of fun.

Oh, and for the $$ you really, really can’t beat it.

Probably telling you a bunch of stuff you already know but these were the reason I made the decision I did: to each his own. You’ll be happy with whatever you pick I’m sure.

Attachments

·
Steady Creepin'
486 Posts
Yeah the versatility of the CC is really appealing I gotta say. I kinda have it in my head to build a 1x9 roadie type bike that can handle some gravel trails/dirt roads and by the sounds of it the CC is perfect.

If you don't mind me asking Ska, what's the typical pricing on a CC frame in Canada? There aren't any Surly dealers near me, so I'll probably just order a frame from Jenson or something unless Canadian Surly dealer prices are worth the trip to Toronto.

btw, I never see Surly's on Kijiji or Craigslist, people must be pretty reluctant to let their Surlys go!

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LuMach said:
If you don't mind me asking Ska, what's the typical pricing on a CC frame in Canada? There aren't any Surly dealers near me, so I'll probably just order a frame from Jenson or something unless Canadian Surly dealer prices are worth the trip to Toronto.

btw, I never see Surly's on Kijiji or Craigslist, people must be pretty reluctant to let their Surlys go!
Don't mind at all. I paid $525 CDN for the frame and fork after much debate on sizing. I was glad I went with the smaller-than-I-normally-go frame. It fits very well.

Pic below is what it looked like the day I finished building it. I was out fine-tuning the fit. 98% of this bike was built using spare parts that were laying around the basement. Instead of selling the stuff I just built a new ride. So glad I did. The only difference between then and now is the bar tape, tires and I switched the Spinergy wheels for Ksyriums Elite wheels.

After I got this thing together I was blown away by how much fun it was over my other bikes. I don't know why that is as I have a few nice bikes in my quiver that are technically "better" but his one is just..........I don't know.

If people feel the same way I do about mine I can see why they won't get rid of them. Mine won't be for sale for quite a while; that's for sure.

p.s. Where are you? A lot of shops have access to Surly's even though they don't stock them.

Attachments

·
Steady Creepin'
486 Posts
Wow, that's definitely a nice looking build!

Yeah, the sizing is definitely a concern of mine if ordering online. I've looked over the specs on the CC frame several times and I seem to be stuck between the 46cm and the 50cm. I'm only 5'-6" with a 29.5" inseam. I think I'd probably lean towards the 50 as I've heard the smaller frames are really compact and I'd be concerned about it being too short in the top tube. But, I'm not sure..

I'm in London, btw. Supposedly there's a shop in Cambridge that sells Surly, might have to make a trip up there to have a look

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dude, I'm not far from you at all.

I ride in London a lot. On a hunch I called First Cycleworks and he was sure he could get Surly's in. The girl said that he had ordered them before but his catalogues/distributors are getting shuffled around a bit or something so he'd know more in mid January she said (prices and everything else). Might be worth a call for you - especially since they're local.

As far as fit goes, it's a touchy thing and I agree it can get difficult to decide when the bike isn't in front of you. What I did (amongst many other things) to help in my decision was take a road bike (later a mtb out of curiosity) that fit me well and used tape to "recreate" the frame's geometry based on what Surly posted on their site. I hung the tape on the road frame I was comparing it to. The taped out frame was a great way to visualize the sizing between the two I was considering (did one, tore it off, did the next). It was especially helpful in visualizing the top tube length. In my case, the smaller frame was actually very comparable (only slightly shorter) in terms of top tube and standover height so I went with it. The larger of the two was close as well but in an undesirable and unworkable way (longer and taller). I knew that by just reading but when you lay it out like that you really get a sense of how big those slight differences are. Worked out well.

Do loads of comparisons between what you ride now that feels great and what you are considering between either your Pacer or Cross Check. Take your time, measure accurately, you'll nail it.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
You might be able to find other brands of bikes with a very similar geometry. Before I ordered my cross check, I was worried about the fit based off the numbers Surly posts. Turns out a Cannondale CX bike my shop already had built was a little shorter in the TT and about the same standover. It was not exact, but close enough I took the bike for a spin.

It was a good bike, but still didn't compare to how steel rides. Also, I love the cross check. I went with it for the same reasons as ska.

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
emtnate said:
You might be able to find other brands of bikes with a very similar geometry. Before I ordered my cross check, I was worried about the fit based off the numbers Surly posts. Turns out a Cannondale CX bike my shop already had built was a little shorter in the TT and about the same standover. It was not exact, but close enough I took the bike for a spin.
There's another great idea.

·
Steady Creepin'
486 Posts
Thanks a lot for the info/suggestions guys, all that makes a lot of sense.

I'll have to talk to First Cycle works when I'm ready to pull the trigger on it. My gf actually bought her bike from them a couple years ago, seemed like a good bunch to deal with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.