Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[semi x-post from the Front Range forum..]

In two weeks I'll be heading to Denver for work (coming from the Netherlands), and I plan to stay a couple days longer to explore the Rockies, by bike.

Would most love to do some good technical riding (the sort of stuff you don't get over here ), any level of epic adventure is acceptable really.

Although I ride 'only' an Anthem X 2011 at home, I'm used to some pretty gnarly stuff from trips in the Alps. This one was pretty good... ;)

So, provided this chance to go to the best riding spots in the world, I should probably also make the extra effort to travel to the western slopes (Moab, GJ, Fruita...), so I'd be interested to know where are the best places to go, where to stay (simple hostels will do), and possibly if I could find some riding company?

Will be free from work starting from saturday octobre 1st, and will probably fly back home (from Denver) on october 8th.

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Tech riding in Grand Junction: Ribbon, Eagle's Wing, Free Lunch, Pucker Up, Holy Cross

Moab: Whole Enchilada (many tech lines some more hidden than others) Amasa/ rock stacker/ jackson's. Mag7 to portal. Hopefully blue dot will become a legal part of that ride sometime soon which would greatly improve the tech factor of that ride.

Dead man's into Killer B offers a little tech if you want a short ride before leaving, or an add on after riding something else. The end of KillerB has a nice tech section, but it's very short.

Have fun!

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you have never been to Moab before, the must do trails are slickrock and porcupine rim. That is two days between those two alone. There is not much single track in Moab, but they are building more. Check with local bike shops or on-line for what u want in Moab. If varies widely.

Fruita / Loma / Mack must do trails are Mary's Loop, Horsethief Bench, Lions, Steves and Troy Built loops, Mack Ridge and if your into super technical, Moore Fun trail. That would be a full day or day and a half. These are classic ledgy desert rim riding with lots of single track and awesome Colorado River views that are in mountain bike magazines everywhere every month.

All of the 18 Road loops are fun and mostly single track too. You cant leave here without riding Prime Cut, Upper Cut, Joes Ridge, Kestle Run, Zippity Do Da, etc. You can ride most of the 18 Road stuff in less than a day.

The Grand Junction area has a great trail system that is being added to all the time. This area is called the "Lunch Loop" area. Must do trails would be Ped-e-Kes, Holy Cross, the Gunny Loop, the Ribbon and my personal fave, the Butterknife. You can explore this area for a day or more. Tons of very technical and regular single track spaced with slickrock ribbons, drops, ledges. Classic desert rim riding again. Highly recommended. Shuttles are possible and recommended if you want to ride all of it in a day.

Well, that is five days of riding alone if you only stay two days in Moab.

Try Sara at Desert Rat Tours if you need help with a shuttle or a guide in the Fruita / Grand Junction area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts