Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met up with Fuzzy John (Sho-Air) and my roommate for a ride. Our original goal was to do the CC.
We left the cars at 9:30 heading up Blackstar. At Beak's Place the bikes were almost parallel to the ground-the ice cold wind was howling! We time ourselves on a regular basis to the golf ball. With the high winds we were a little off track.
It was now time to climb the 3 b!tches. Man those were extremely tough in the winds. I had a base layer, 2 jerseys, arm warmers and a jacket. My nipples were piercing through all of them. Brrrrrrr. We arrived at the top of Motorway in a little less than 2 hours. Not quite when we wanted, but we are training, right?
Scott (roommate) and I were worked, but we decided to press on to the end of the blacktop on Maple Springs. The winds were minimal compared to the Main Divide, but the black ice was on every water crossing. We passed a few riders coming down and even caught a few climbing. One looked like OCRider, but it wasn't him. Anyway, we got to the top of the pavement and my roommate decided to bail out. I should have joined him, but I "pushed" on. For those of you that don't know Fuzzy, he is really fast. He finished 6th in the VQ last year and he was on a rigid singlespeed. Yeah, really fast. Fuzzy would wait for me every couple miles. We finally made it to the top of 4 corners.
I couldn't stop, if I did I would have cramped up and died.
The winds to the peaks sucked balls. Doing the descent to the Joplin trail we had to pedal the whole way down. If we stopped pedaling, we stopped moving. Sucked balls! The first switchback to the peak had a headwind that would have tipped over a semi. I looked down at the GPS unit to see I was climbing at 1mph. I'm surprised it wasn't reading feet per hour. Oh it was so painful and of course freezing cold.
We finally made it to upper Holy Jim (there is no snow on the back side of the peak.) Fuzzy and I found a spot out of the wind and enjoyed the warmth of the sun. Soon we felt our fingers and toes again. Upper Holy Jim was in great shape. Soon we were on Holy Jim. Man, that trail is FAST! The trail was cleaned recently by the Warrior's Society (myself included.) There are sections of the trail that you can see pretty far ahead and you can really rip.
We finally made it to the trailhead and started the long ride back to cars at Blackstar. I was out of water, out of gu's and out of energy.
We ended up going to Wahoo's for some grub. Best food I have ever had.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Man, you guys are way tougher than we are. We were planning on just doing Blackstar - Motorway and then going to the peak, but bailed out after Motorway. It was way too cold for me. Couldn't feel my fingers or toes at all and I was completely wiped out.

Sounds like a great ride otherwise ;)

·
OMR - Old Man Riding
429 Posts
I always thought you were crazy.... now I know!

Andy aka Rut said:
Oh it was so painful and of course freezing cold.
We did Mark & Suzanne's ride on Sat: Up Merrill to the top of Mt Wilson. Lots of that white stuff on the top (not coke!)... came down Sturtevant Canyon in the snow (a complete ball) and climbed out over Mt zion (upper Winter Creek). Calvin was on his SS and whipped us all!

Finally thawed out in the sun in Sierra Maudre waiting for the shuttle drivers. Obviously not as cold as your ride... BUT we had more fun... ya ya!

OMR...:cool:

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Andy, we attempted this on Saturday.
We got as far as 4 corners and had enough.
Brian/Wayne/Josh continued on for the entire coup but we returned down Maple.
DUMB.
25mpg wind added to the cold SUCKED.

Coldest ride of my life...starting with the 28degree start temps and pretty much staying there for 4 hours.

p.s. My wife was wearing 6 layer and still freezing. ouch!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let's see...
Aword4you....I lost the feeling in my toes on Blackstar. I felt them again in the car. Coming down from the peak my fingers were frozen. I ended up taking my gloves off and just rubbing my hands together to get them warm again.
Ethan...no I'm doing the Push-a-Kona with Maxwell on Saturday
mtber3737.... DrewDawg told me about the ride. I'm sorry I missed it. Next time for sure.
Padre... Yeah it was freezing! 6 layers wouldn't have been enough to keep me warm either. Brrrrrrrr Brian, Wayne and Josh are nuttie too! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.