Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes I've got small things that I either need or don't need. I bet others do, also.

I could place an ad and then post a thread linking to it, but that's a bit cumbersome. And I don't want to pay $3 to move a $5 part.

Is there any way that we could post framebuilding items for sale/trade/wanted that wouldn't run afoul of MTBR policy? (I'm not a huge fan of Frameforum, and I doubt that participation over there is too high now that you have to pay to see anything useful.)

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
I can ask...but,

My guess is that the answer is no. The higher ups are pretty strict about this kind of thing, but I will ask over at the mods forum.

Someone with some server space could volunteer to host a swap site, I suppose, but you'd need at least a little bit of software to run it, and I have no idea how to do that.

-Walt

D.F.L. said:
Sometimes I've got small things that I either need or don't need. I bet others do, also.

I could place an ad and then post a thread linking to it, but that's a bit cumbersome. And I don't want to pay $3 to move a $5 part.

Is there any way that we could post framebuilding items for sale/trade/wanted that wouldn't run afoul of MTBR policy? (I'm not a huge fan of Frameforum, and I doubt that participation over there is too high now that you have to pay to see anything useful.)

Any thoughts?

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
Walt said:
My guess is that the answer is no. The higher ups are pretty strict about this kind of thing, but I will ask over at the mods forum.

Someone with some server space could volunteer to host a swap site, I suppose, but you'd need at least a little bit of software to run it, and I have no idea how to do that.

-Walt
You may be surprised.

There's a long swap only thread in the vintage forum:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=370605

A tire swap sticky in the 29er forum (stickies can only be done by mods, right?)
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=677545

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
There are swap threads in Vintage/Retro, and 29er and single speed forums. In fact I just participated in a single speed cog swap with a guy from Maryland. Win Win situation for both of us.

Why not here as well?

As long as it stays a swap/barter type situation - I see no harm in it from the viewpoint of a moderator (not that I am one on this site).

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
The word from on high...

Gregg says:

Trade is okay, but selling is not. If it PURELY for trade and no monetary profit, it's okay by us.

Is $2 really that much? Shipping is gonna cost you more than our measley $2 anyway, right?

If you list multiple small items in one ad, you should easily cover the cost.

-g
So, I say go for it. Someone post the thread, I'll stick it.

-Walt

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
Walt, and if someone were to post framebuilding tools or supplies in the classifieds, which catagory would be most appropriate? I don't see any, hence I've never looked in the classifieds.

·
Gabe.....
1,182 Posts
D.F.L. said:

Any thoughts?
Steve....anytime you want to part with something bikecentric (tubing, fixtures, shiny bits and pieces, shameful mistakes, whatever)......let me know! I'm just down the road and will meet you anywhere. gabe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.