Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm relatively new to mtb so I don't have the know how that you all do. I come from a BMX back ground and I'm just looking for a fun ,slack hardtail ,do it all bike. This is what I'm looking @ Marin Bikes | Rocky Ridge 7.6 | Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes, and City/Commuter Bicycles | us
Marin Rocky ridge 7.6
I have only seen one review on it and the only comments I have seen are that its Butt*ss ugly . I don't really think it looks bad @ all, but do you think it looks worth the $$.
These are also a few other bikes i have glanced at: Transition transAM 29, Diamondback Mason, Kona honzo or the Trek stache 8 is pretty nice looking. Thanks for the help. Cheers

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
I have had a Canfield Bros. yelli since late 2012 and love it, a blast to ride. I have never heard of this Marin model and am only generally aware that Marin exists as a company. I think you have listed several other favorites in this class of bikes so you know what to look for. JensonUSA used to sell the Mason direct at a great price, you may want to check to see if they still do. Below is a 2013 review of the Mason if you are interested

Bike Magazine's 2013 Diamondback Mason Review - YouTube

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the great feedback. thats a good option. The only thing thats a downer about the mason is it weighs 30lbs. Not sure if that would bother me or not? 99% of people around here seem to be on feather light XC bikes. Is there anything I could do right off the bat that would lighten it a little bit? Also most people really don't seem to know much about Marin? I'm not hearing good or bad things but all their bikes look pretty legit. I know the Rocky Ridge 7.6 weighs 26-27 lbs.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
That Marin looks ok, but the spec is a little strange. Some parts are great, but those brakes are complete garbage. You'll need to replace them after the first bleed, that's a 99.9% guarantee. The rims and hubs are also very low-end. If you come from a BMX background, I'd assume you will occasionally be jumping. I'd be very wary of jumping on those wheels. About the only thing I'd keep on it is the crankset, rear derailleur, and possibly the dropper post. The rest would get the boot.

If you're looking to spend that much on a bike, my vote would be to get a Canfield Yelli Screamy frame and build it up. It is, in my opinion, a far better bike overall. Nice and slack, very strong, and I haven't seen a single bad review of it. I've even seen videos of people sessioning dirt jump parks with them. The Canfield brothers build bikes that are meant to be ridden very hard, and they are super reliable. They've got the best customer service I've ever encountered. Most YS builds I've seen are in the 25-28lb range. I'd get the Yelli, throw a Sram 1x10 or 1x11 setup on it, some Hope Pro2/Stans Flow wheels, XT brakes, and you'll have a far better bike than the Marin. FAR better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for the feedback. Yeah I've been drooling over pic's of people's Yelli! That would be my 1st choice. My only prob is lack of experience..... Do you think #1 with limited experience I could do a build? And #2 could I build it for that price or less? I like your idea the by far the best.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Thanks so much for the feedback. Yeah I've been drooling over pic's of people's Yelli! That would be my 1st choice. My only prob is lack of experience..... Do you think #1 with limited experience I could do a build? And #2 could I build it for that price or less? I like your idea the by far the best.
my Yelli was my first attempt at DIY build. I transferred most of the parts from another bike to keep the cost down. There are those out there who claim you can build a Yelli from the ground up at $2500 or less. IThat was not my experience but I didn't want to soend many months reviewing sales online for that lowest price either.

Regarding the build itself, yes it is realtively easy. if you are not interested and don't want to spend on tools then take it to a LBS for pressing the headset and setting the crown race on the fork. Combined that's probably $20. You don't necessarily need special tools for the bottom bracket, but the BB is something you replace with some regularity so it's worthwhile to spend for that socket tool that fits over the BB and that fits a 3/8" drive, this is affordable and worth it DIY. After that you have to do cables, shifters, install brakes, cut chain to right length, etc... You can find actual videos on all of this online, but if you don't want to then full install at a LBS orobably runs you $100-150, not sure.

i did all that myself and it's not hard, just pay attention to detail and take your time, go back to the videos if unsure.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
byt the way, the Kona Honzo is only $1999, has a better fork than Mason, far better brakes, but lacks a dropper. You should check this out. if you have BMX background you might appreciate the burlier frames. My Yelli is at 28 lbs, incredibly stiff, but I don't think you can build it up from ground zero as cheaply as Honzo and no way as cheap as the Mason.

KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | TRAIL 29" HT | HONZO

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
yeah that Honzo is nice looking. I could start with it and then build onto it. The frame looks pretty solid. Would that be a better deal than the Marin?
I am not sure which is the better deal. Probably comes down to the wheels as both have a similar fork. The Marin has a dropper, but the Honzo is $600 cheaper, easy to find the dropper you prefer for less than $600.

If you prefer BMX style then seriously look i to the Chameleon suggested above.

I haven't ridden a 27.5 at all, can't say whether one would be worth it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks so much for the help everyone , I'll be going in circles and chewing on this for a while. I'm going to keep my eyes on the classifieds for the next month or so and then pull the trigger on something. cheers

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I'm relatively new to mtb so I don't have the know how that you all do. I come from a BMX back ground and I'm just looking for a fun ,slack hardtail ,do it all bike. This is what I'm looking @ Marin Bikes | Rocky Ridge 7.6 | Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes, and City/Commuter Bicycles | us
Marin Rocky ridge 7.6
I have only seen one review on it and the only comments I have seen are that its Butt*ss ugly . I don't really think it looks bad @ all, but do you think it looks worth the $$.
These are also a few other bikes i have glanced at: Transition transAM 29, Diamondback Mason, Kona honzo or the Trek stache 8 is pretty nice looking. Thanks for the help. Cheers
For what it's worth, it doesn't really look ugly to me. It kind of has a badass look, I like it!

·
The White Jeff W
5,715 Posts
If dude is coming from a BMX background I dont know that steering him towards 29" wheeled bikes is the best option. Id probably stick with 26ers to start. Take a look at the On One 456 EVO line. A lot of bike for the price! Hell the carbon version with a really nice build kit (Pike fork, XT drivetrain, dropper post) is only $100 more than the Marin you linked to.

Trail Bikes | On-One Bikes

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.