Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, first timer here!

Recently, my best friend and I agreed to pick up mountain biking. I'll be graduating this spring and aside from basketball and the gym, I didn't really have another hobby I was in to. After coming across mountain biking, my interest has spiked and I'm looking to purchase my first bike.

A little background: I'm 6'2 and of slim build (165 lbs). I would be a size large, correct? I live in Southern CA, so I really don't know what kind of riding I'll be doing. I just know I won't be racing.

My budget is up to $1200. I would say I am focused on finding a good 27.5 hardtail for that price range but I am open to a 26 if the deal is just too good.

Now, my LBS told me they'd be able to sell me the Giant Talon 27.5 1 for $1200 (original $1380), so I am really considering that one. I've also come across a few other used bikes around the web that have caught my eye. Would anyone mind giving their .02? Are these good prices for these bikes? Would you take any of them over the Talon 1 at $1200?

2011 Trek Remedy 7 Full Fox Suspension Mountain Bike, Hydraulic Disc

2011 Large Size Cannondale RZ ONE TWENTY 3 Mountain Bike XTC

Trek Remedy Carbon 9.8 19.5" - Pinkbike
2012 Giant Trance - Pinkbike

Really looking forward to any feedback you guys have!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Welcome, and congrats on getting into mountain biking.

I would suggest the following steps:

a) pick a bike store you want to establish a lasting relationship with (do you like the store that was going to sell you the Talon?). Go around to some different shops and ask about their service packages with new bikes, fitting for new bikes, look at the accessories they sell (as you'll need some of these)

b) once you pick a shop(s), ask for advice on a new bike.

c) read lots here and elsewhere

d) then pick a new bike, based on shops advise plus confirming what they're telling you (maybe you go back to step a...depends on what you're hearing)

e) buy a new bike (I say new because if you're new, you can utilize the shop for their service, advise, experience

Good luck!

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Nothing like the new bike smell but all those bikes are nice ones for the asking price, I like the Trance and the Remedy carbon; contact the seller and if possible test ride them.

If they fit get the one you like the most.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
Man how did you pull those up I've looking @ craigsllist all week :) That Cannondale looks sweet! Good luck - make sure it fits and you enjoy riding it!

If you are not mechanically challenged as I'm, then the LBS is the best way to go.

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
I like the Trance as well, and those RZ's are supposed to be pretty fun bikes too. I'd take any of the choices over the Talon myself, given that they're in decent shape and you're somewhat mechanically inclined and not looking to do any sort of racing.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Hello everyone, first timer here!

Recently, my best friend and I agreed to pick up mountain biking. I'll be graduating this spring and aside from basketball and the gym, I didn't really have another hobby I was in to. After coming across mountain biking, my interest has spiked and I'm looking to purchase my first bike.

A little background: I'm 6'2 and of slim build (165 lbs). I would be a size large, correct? I live in Southern CA, so I really don't know what kind of riding I'll be doing. I just know I won't be racing.

My budget is up to $1200. I would say I am focused on finding a good 27.5 hardtail for that price range but I am open to a 26 if the deal is just too good.

Now, my LBS told me they'd be able to sell me the Giant Talon 27.5 1 for $1200 (original $1380), so I am really considering that one. I've also come across a few other used bikes around the web that have caught my eye. Would anyone mind giving their .02? Are these good prices for these bikes? Would you take any of them over the Talon 1 at $1200?

2011 Trek Remedy 7 Full Fox Suspension Mountain Bike, Hydraulic Disc

2011 Large Size Cannondale RZ ONE TWENTY 3 Mountain Bike XTC

Trek Remedy Carbon 9.8 19.5" - Pinkbike
2012 Giant Trance - Pinkbike

Really looking forward to any feedback you guys have!
You didnt say where in socal you will be riding. But in my limited experience in orange county the trails are very groomed and smooth. I think a hardtail is fine on those trails. At the pricepoint you are looking at you will get a lot more hardtail for your $$. Id also recommend 29er because of your height.

Finally I would look used. People lose a ton of $$ selling barely used bikes, their loss is your gain.

This is out of your price range, but is a nice bike

Giant Xtc Composite 29er Hardtail Large

Finally stay away from avid hydro brakes.

·
Clueless Bastard
684 Posts
The Cannondale looks like it's barely been used. Pretty nice bike for 1000 bucks. Sizing seems pretty correct for your height. Honestly, it seems like a pretty low risk purchase. Go ride it, see if you like it.

With any bike purchase, ride different bikes. You will get a feel for what you like and don't like. If possible, find a bike friend who's been riding a while, not hard to do. Have them help you.

Lastly, ignore "don't buy this brand or that brand" advice. Like others have said, consider bikes that fit, that you like and KNOW you'll ride, and you can afford. THEN then base your decisions on those facts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts