Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
these are the real threats:

Name: Mosquito

Danger: Bite - and bloody irritating whine.

Death/injury caused: Malaria - female mosquitoes leave plasmodium parasites in the blood after biting, which in turn cause malaria.

No. of deaths per year: Over two million world wide.

How to avoid: Wear long sleeved shirts and trousers, use insect repellent and anti-malarial drugs and mosquito nets.

Horror rating: 3

Name: Snakes

Danger: Bite

Death/injury caused: toxic shock from injection of venom, which may cause death.

No. of deaths per year: Several hundred world wide.

How to avoid: Don't stick your hands under rocks or down holes, wear boots and long trousers, keep your eyes open, employ a snake charmer.

Horror rating: 5 - 10 depending on your view of slithery creatures.

Name: Scorpions

Danger: Sting

Death/injury: Death relatively rare but a sting can cause serious reactions including fever and nausea.

No.of deaths per year: Unknown

How to avoid: Stay away from deserts and jungles. Or if you're in one, don't poke around under stones and logs and shake your boots out before putting them on.

Horror rating: See snakes

Name: Vampire bats

Danger: Bite and blood sucking

Death/injury: Death very rare, but if bitten you may lose quite a lot of blood as vampire bats can drink their own weight in the stuff (pray you don't get bitten by a fat one) and the saliva contains an anti-coagulant.

No. of deaths per year: Unknown, but very few if any.

How to avoid: Keep away from jungles and Transylvania. Use a mosquito net.

Horror rating: 1 (unless you find one at your neck, in which case 10).

And don't forget SUVs bearing down on you (cell phone in hand, kids screaming in back, wife and husband agruing, and dog barking)

Jim

·
Foreign Entity
275 Posts
MicroHuck said:
All reasons to live in Washinton and not Australia.

I'll take cougars and bears over creepy crawlies in my shorts.
Maybe you meant Africa?

And you're equally at risk from snakebites in America as you are in Australia or Africa, the trick is to be able to identify the snakes you meet so you know what's venomous and what isn't.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
our govt

keeps scaring the bejeepers out of us annually, I'm just north of WA in BC, but so far no cases. But last year we had to kill millions of domestic chickens/birds to escape a breakout of avian flu in the Fraser Valley (Borders WA/BC).

And I gotta watch out for ticks and Lyme disease.

I almost wish cougars and bears were a menace, but there're lots more things to getcha.

Suddenly I don't feel like a ride today ;)

Jim

G

·
I hate mosquitos and am scared to death of malaria. There is a lagoon at the end of my street that is a bird sanctuary where West Nile is now a real threat. I take a mosquito net wherever I travel. We got ticks with lyme disease, ticks are gross.
Around here, the smart animals run away from humans as fast as they can, all the others wind up dead. Used to see tons of rattlesnakes around here, you had to really watch where you were stepping. Now I'm happy to see one.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Man, it's good to see some realistic perspectives on wildlife for a change.
My first impetus to post anything on this website regarded a cougar sighting--just a sighting-- in my area last year and all the subsequent histrionics that followed.
Lions, tigers, bears = how many injuries/deaths per century?
Autos, insects, dogs (squirrels, deer, viruses, lightning, drowning) = how many hundreds of thousands of injuries/deaths per year?
I guess the sad fact is that until the big critters disappear noticably, we won't miss them.

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
Other dangers worse

Cougars, bears, mosquitoes and scorpions are the least of our death worries on a national basis. Riding your bike may reduce the risk for the number one killer in the USA, heart disease, to get ya though. Note that assaults by gunshot or terrorist attack aren't even close to making the Top Ten list.
Put the irrational fears in perspective!

(Data are for U.S. in 2001)

Number of deaths for leading causes of death

Heart Disease: 696,947

Cancer: 557,271

Stroke: 162,672

Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 124,816

Accidents (unintentional injuries): 106,742

Diabetes: 73,249

Influenza/Pneumonia: 65,681

Alzheimer's disease: 58,866

Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 40,974

Septicemia: 33,865

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lcod.htm

Deaths: Leading Causes for 2000, table 1
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/pdf/nvsr50_16t1.pdf

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Mountain bikers, due to their age and fitness aren't generally in danger from West Nile from my understanding; very young or old people are more at risk. I'd worry more about driving to the trailhead....

·
Registered
837 Posts
We've got no place for science here

Huh, a reasoned and thoughtful view on wildlife issues. I thought that sort of thing was frowned upon here ;)

I thought the only accepted view was that cats = quick death. Bears = horrible screaming death.

Sorry for the rant - I just get tired of hearing that bears and cats will get you and that death on the trails is around every corner.

·
too tired to be clever
117 Posts
I think the reason people are 'unreasonably' scared of bears and mountain lions is that there is a basic subliminal fear of something that can eat you. I've seen enough bears and kitty cats out in the boonies that I'm not too frightened of them. Now sharks, on the other hand.... :mad:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Top of the food chain?

DesertDave said:
I think the reason people are 'unreasonably' scared of bears and mountain lions is that there is a basic subliminal fear of something that can eat you. I've seen enough bears and kitty cats out in the boonies that I'm not too frightened of them. Now sharks, on the other hand.... :mad:
I know what you mean about sharks - years ago I used to surf a little. I never got over the feeling that I was not at the top of the food chain when I was in the water... :D

·
you go ahead
709 Posts
Don't know if someone has already mentioned this, but a huge danger of mtb (and any other outdoor sport) is skin cancer.

My dad has skin cancer .. not fun. At all.

Plus farmers tans look dorky :D
(why am I saying this... my farmers tan is the joke of the year at my school :p )

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.