Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was unloading the bike at the west parking lot yesterday about 5:00pm and heard some crying up on the hill above the entrance to Penn trail. Turned out to be a small fawn that popped out of the brush right at the culvert and headed down the road. There was still some noise in the brush and I expected to see the mother dear following, but a cougar’s head popped out instead. He looked to be about the size of a medium/large dog, say black lab size, a darker grayish color. I yelled to the guys unloading their dirtbikes “there’s a cougar right there”, the cougar looked at the group of us for a second and headed back into the brush.

Spooked me a little, that’s the closest I’ve been to one (about 50-60ft), but I figured I’m a lot bigger than a fawn so I went ahead with the ride. I will admit that if I heard the brush rustle along the way I made some noise.

Gary

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I was hoping this was more of a Demi Moore type of cougar and that there would be an accompanying pic. Very disappointed.

·
Banned
1,682 Posts
if you find yourself huckleberry picking in the wolf lodge saddle area(skitwitch) be careful. there was an aggresive mountain lion there all last summer. Multiple people fired warning shots at it. also fawns and calves are popping out everywhere right now. it is a predators wet dream out there.

tim

·
Sheepherder/Cat Herder
2,715 Posts
Bear was on Trail A today. About a quarter mile west of the Trail A & Cave Trail junction. It wouldn't move off the trail. She just stared at me with "What the f...k are you gonna do about it?" look.

And Aenema & EP, everyone in CDA knows those cougars all hangout by the resort and the Iron Horse.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, lots of critters on that mountain. I also saw several types of fresh scat on Trail B between trail 11 and 10 on Monday, though I don't know my animal poops well enough to tell you from which they came.

Makes me want to puts some baseball cards in my spokes to make a little noise coming down the trail. :)

Gary

·
Canfield Bikes
1,121 Posts
Saw a Grizzly up here in Jackson Wy the other day. The first one I've ever seen. I was riding down the trail and entered a clearing as it was running across. It stopped in the woods just up hill from me, about 100 feet away. We just sat there and looked at each other for a minute or two. My buddy rode up and it took off. Very exciting too see one so close, especially being so rare here.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Visicypher said:
Bear was on Trail A today. About a quarter mile west of the Trail A & Cave Trail junction. It wouldn't move off the trail. She just stared at me with "What the f...k are you gonna do about it?" look.

And Aenema & EP, everyone in CDA knows those cougars all hangout by the resort and the Iron Horse.
Are you the guy I talked to about the bear? You were coming down the road with a kid in tow?

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
5,976 Posts
flymybike said:
Saw a Grizzly up here in Jackson Wy the other day. .
Where, exactly?

They aren't rare anymore...

·
Sheepherder/Cat Herder
2,715 Posts
That was me.

idahodirt said:
Are you the guy I talked to about the bear? You were coming down the road with a kid in tow?
That was me and my step-son.

·
Professional Sinecure
40 Posts
Nice! I'd love to see that. Monday noon-ish I rode right into the middle of a herd of cow elk right at the 11/B trail junction. Stopped where they cut the downed log out and they were all around me calling to their calves and crossing the trail behind and in front of me.

Pretty cool. Of course they went east so I had no choice but to follow them up B. Then where it doubles back and goes up, I ran into a mom and 2 buff colored youngin's.

Working mornings all this week of course. And I sure ain't riding afternoons in this heat:madmax:

McSchlubb

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I saw spots along the edge of B just west of 11 on Monday evening that looked like some bigger critters had bedded down in the grass... must have been the elk.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts