Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if bikers have encounter cougar or bears in BC or California wood trails. I heard about the gruesome cougar mauling of the biker in California last year. Have Cdn bikers experience same problems in the British Columbia woods?

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
google is your friend...

Picard said:
I am wondering if bikers have encounter cougar or bears in BC or California wood trails. I heard about the gruesome cougar mauling of the biker in California last year. Have Cdn bikers experience same problems in the British Columbia woods?
Statistically, you're more likely to be struck by lightening than attacked by a bear or mountain lion.

·
Banned
706 Posts
Ken in KC said:
Statistically, you're more likely to be struck by lightening than attacked by a bear or mountain lion.
Oh. Well then, I'll look out during the next thunderstorm.

I got attacked by one of the <125 black bears inthe Sandia Mountains in central New Mexico. I put my bike between him (her) and me and instinctivly raised my bike as it reared up at me, bashing the bear in the head with the chainrings. Then I quickly ran the other way, and, as it turns out, so did the bear (luckily).

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
park services recommend vigilance !

I heard on the news that the US and Canadian Park service strongly recommend riders whom ride in cougar territory to be vigilant and ride in group for protection. They must also be prepared for emergency situation.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just because you see and hear lightning, and not lions and bears, doesn't mean they aren't there! I went right past a mountain lion last year, and saw a bobcat a couple of weeks ago. And this is in suburban Southern California. Just don't act like food, and you'll be okay.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
carry pepper spray or bowie knife ?

you don't need to act like food for cougar to follow you. Cougars are getting to familiar with human scent that it no longer scare them. It is easy to avoid bears but no cougars. Cougar will pursue the rider and hunt him like any other prey.

Has anyone carry pepper spray or bowie knife as protection on bike ride ?

·
Banned
706 Posts
Picard said:
you don't need to act like food for cougar to follow you. Cougars are getting to familiar with human scent that it no longer scare them. It is easy to avoid bears but no cougars. Cougar will pursue the rider and hunt him like any other prey.

Has anyone carry pepper spray or bowie knife as protection on bike ride ?
Yup, I've got a 6" blade non-folder for the right hand, and a thrust dagger for the left.

Both within easy reach in under a second or two.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like the pictures of pepperspray one rider posted earlier today. I carry a 4inch folder benchmade survival knife. I also carry a survival whistle to call for help. It is best to be prepared for the worse situation anyway. I carry a full first aid kit with trauma kit for treating large abdominal wounds. One can't be to careful when rider has to deal with a cougar.

·
Banned
640 Posts
Hi formica, I dig the hits your landing.
I hope your picking up what I'm putting down.
It is not my intention to put The Queen of Canadas MTBing Access down.
I hope you understand this.
Sorry I came back to the party late, I had no Idea that it was an a$$kicking party.
I hope I have cleared my name and selfishly I hope you have just begun to teach Picard his lesson at F U

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was downhilling last summer with my friend, he was in front as we came over a little rise that drops into a small ravine. The bear is sitting there right next to the trail doing whatever bears do. Both my friend and the bear had the scare of their lives, they actually ended up running next to eachother for about twenty five feet, since there was only one way out... :D

·
Registered
736 Posts
Picard said:
Everytime I went to Whistler(well almost) last summer I ran into black bears on the trail or saw them from the lift. This one time at band camp...oh wait, that's a different story ;)

But seriously, this one time we were headed up the chair and looked over to spot two black bears (good size) chillin' on the trail with all the big table tops out in the open field, can't remember the name of that trail...(not A-line) Anyhow, if someone was clippin' along they would of ran straight into them coming around the corner.

My friends dad got attacked by a grizzly, fought it off with bear spray. I highly reccomend bear spray, but make sure it's to good stuff!!!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Attacks are more frequent

Raymo853 said:
In the last one hundred fifty years only two adult males have been killed by cougars/mountian lions in all of North America.
Up until 2000 there was 18 documented fatalities from cougars. Most fatalities were children and females. Recently, an adult male was killed by a cougar.

http://cougarinfo.com/attacks3.htm

http://www.macecanada.com/articlesalta2.htm

Throughout North America between the years 1890 and 2000, Mr. Syme reported, there were 96 documented cougar attacks, 18 of them fatal. Interestingly, subsequent inquiries by this magazine have found that exactly half of those attacks (48) occurred during the past 10 years, as well as nearly half (eight) of the fatalities--despite dramatically improved emergency medical procedures over the last century. Of all attacks across North America, a staggering 40% occurred on Vancouver Island, while an additional 20% occurred in mainland B.C. The next highest percentage, 10%, occurred in Texas. Nearly all fatalities were children unaccompanied by adults. Two of the most intrusive cases involved a cougar crashing through the window of an isolated cabin to attack a telephone lineman in Kelsey Bay, B.C., in 1951, and a cougar attacking a 16-year-old boy riding a bicycle in Holberg, B.C., in 1983. Both victims survived.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Fear is dependant upon how well one has been acclimated to specific animals.
In my case,bears are a common site around my house and even in my cars"keep windows up".When they become to comfortable,i simply throw rocks at them and yell at them,if that does'nt work,rock salt in the rear end does.
So while i respect bears i certainly don't fear them but actually expect to see some while riding.I also see coyote's and bobcats but only one mtn lion in all my years here in western virginia.The more animals i see while riding the better the experience.
I must admit,if a mountain lion jumped on my back while riding i would dub the ride as lack luster.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.