Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else ordered one of these?

They're shipping from the middle of February. I've got an orange one on the way. Hopefully it will be as much fun as my Cotic Soda, with all the benefits of a 29er.

Basically a little slacker and longer than the average xc 29er, with slightly shorter stays, and in a mixture of 853 and True Temper OX Platinum, so pretty light for steel.

I don't quite have enough posts to attach a pic, so you'll have to use your imagination or google it, but like the other Cotic hardtails, it's rather pretty.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Glad you started this post, bol. This bike looks very promising. Sweet dear lord baby Jesus please bring to the US :) Dear Cotic, please make the prototype green color in the singletrackworld.com ad! Bridgeless chainstays are 440mm :) Top tube cable routing rather than dirt tube routing. No sliders for us 1x people. 44mm headtube rather than the bulbous tapered ugliness. I think the geo didn't look too slack with a 100mm fork. Threaded BB which is fine by me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The product page on the Solaris is here

HA at 100mm is approx 70. It's designed for 80-120mm.

There is a s/s version called the Simple with sliders. Product page is here

Edit: no EBB. Cotic do have a US distributor...

There is other info available which I think might only have been issued on e-mail or on their Facebook page. Maybe Bol or I can fish it out if it's gonna add anything :)

Oh and I've been lobbying hard on green, they need to come back to me in the next couple of weeks as the first batch (all blue or orange) arrives in the UK then...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the green too, but haven't got the patience to wait for the second run, having already moved a lot of stuff on in preparation.

Anyone looking for the full geometry can find it under the sizing tab on the Solaris page of the Cotic website. Not dramatically different from a Niner or On One, but a few mm here (chainstays and top tube) and half a degree or so there (seat and head angle). I'll post up some pics when mine's finished.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Cotic not made their mind up about the green yet.

They are unlikely to do so much in advance of ordering the second batch.

However if they do do green (and I'd bought an orange) I'd be peed off so I'm going to keep my order on hold as to when they have made their mind up...

So Bol I'll just have to live my 29erdom vicariously through yourself at the moment. I hope you don't mind... ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's alright Metalheart. :-D

Mine's looking like it'll be stupidly bling, as I've kept the XX drivetrain from my Soda, and failed to resist shiny things as they've come up in the classifieds. I bagged some cheap DT 240 hubs, and some lightly used Crest rims, a carbon railed Gobi and a few other pointless but pretty bits and bobs pretty cheaply. I'm not aiming for the world's lightest extra large steel framed 29er, but it looks like I'm going to end up with another fairly incongruous combination of talentless heffer and spangly lightweight bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eurospec, I wouldn't be surprised if they did that, although looking at the spec, the Solaris is going to be pretty tough. A Bfe 29 rated for 140 forks and with a slightly shorter back end for 1x10 only would be a popular choice I'd imagine.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Eurospec, I wouldn't be surprised if they did that, although looking at the spec, the Solaris is going to be pretty tough. A Bfe 29 rated for 140 forks and with a slightly shorter back end for 1x10 only would be a popular choice I'd imagine.
I emailed Cy @ Cotic when I saw the Solaris for the first time and no plans for a BFE 29er.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Eurospek: Cotic have a few irons in the fire at the moment. A new 150mm travel full sus frame (the Rocket out in March I think), a road bike project and, if I'm reading the runes right, a short travel full suss bike. I would like to know whether the short travel bike is a Soul equivalent or a BFe one. Or infact if it'll be a Solaris one!

I'm hoping for a lightish ~100 rear 100-140 front that rides similar to a soul (or depending how i get on with the Solaris) the same but 29er :) but they have their work cut out for them this year so itll be next year at the earliest I'd guess...

But I'm speculating wildly here... :thumbsup:

Bol: thanks! Was that your xx soda that was on the Cotic website early doors?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, it wasn't mine. My friend's identical but slightly smaller one was on the news section for a while I think.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Frames land this week and ship out next for those on pre-order...

Damn, why did I have to go and see a picture of that green frame...

Can't everyone just hurry up and buy one so they run out and get the second batch in quicker? Is that really so much to ask?

:madman:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mine is being built on Monday. I'm colourblind, so the orange and green look very similar to me.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts