Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am planning a trip to costa rica in a few months. if anyone can give me advice for guides and trails i would greatly appreciate it.

furthermore is it a good idea to take your own bike?

thanks in advance for the help!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
656 Posts
leev373 said:
i am planning a trip to costa rica in a few months. if anyone can give me advice for guides and trails i would greatly appreciate it.

furthermore is it a good idea to take your own bike?

thanks in advance for the help!
DO A SEARCH.....
 

·
try driving your car less
Joined
·
3,097 Posts
leev373 said:
i have extensively searched the internet.

i am looking for firsthand advice from someone who has visited or lives in costa rica.
contact norm at rock river lodge near lake arenal. mostly windsurfing, but some great biking, too.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
656 Posts
leev373 said:
i have extensively searched the internet.

i am looking for firsthand advice from someone who has visited or lives in costa rica.
search the forums, ive given all the costa rica mtb advice i can give here already....
 

·
Braunstein Frere
Joined
·
215 Posts
leev373 said:
i have extensively searched the internet.

i am looking for firsthand advice from someone who has visited or lives in costa rica.
Been there, done that and Lake Arenal is a great place to start. They have guided tours at Bike Arenal and provide you with a decent mount. Can't really beat biking at the base of an active volcano. Oh ya, it's on the weeb at www.bikearenal.com
 

·
arbiter
Joined
·
138 Posts
The other guy is right

I made the mistake of bringing my road bike there. I planned on touring for two months, but after sledding through 2 inches of dust on the roads I learned to surf instead. I ended up in Montezuma and Mal Pais mostly. I had a wonderful time just relaxing. Once you view the beaches your bike dreams should fade.

I think bringing a mountain bike to explore the roads would be awesome. The road to Monteverde and the area around lake Arenal are wonderful. Also, I drank the tap water the entire time and all was well. Costa Rica is the Americanized gem of central America. Cheers!
 

·
Braunstein Frere
Joined
·
215 Posts
futuristxen said:
I made the mistake of bringing my road bike there. I planned on touring for two months, but after sledding through 2 inches of dust on the roads I learned to surf instead. I ended up in Montezuma and Mal Pais mostly. I had a wonderful time just relaxing. Once you view the beaches your bike dreams should fade.

I think bringing a mountain bike to explore the roads would be awesome. The road to Monteverde and the area around lake Arenal are wonderful. Also, I drank the tap water the entire time and all was well. Costa Rica is the Americanized gem of central America. Cheers!
Those roads are wonderful on a bike all right, but in a car they downright suck. And in a car hungover on no sleep they're downright treacherous. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Just be careful...

My brother's down there now with 2 buddies. While surfing, their stuff was stolen from a locked car - laptop, 2 cell phones, ipod nano, 2 digital cameras, and a BUNCH of other stuff, including all of their passports. He's been stuck for 5 days (first waiting for a passport, now waiting for an empty flight!) However, they have certainly enjoyed the "forced vacation..." :)
 

·
Braunstein Frere
Joined
·
215 Posts
Matno said:
Just be careful...

My brother's down there now with 2 buddies. While surfing, their stuff was stolen from a locked car - laptop, 2 cell phones, ipod nano, 2 digital cameras, and a BUNCH of other stuff, including all of their passports. He's been stuck for 5 days (first waiting for a passport, now waiting for an empty flight!) However, they have certainly enjoyed the "forced vacation..." :)
That can happen anywhere. While I was there and I "erred on the side of caution" by locking up my passport in a safe at the hostel or wherever I was staying and carrying my sh!t with me or not bringing it our unless I knew I wopuld use. You have to use some common sense. I don't even think I'd bring the nano with me if I go back this winter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
657 Posts
word

Braunstein Freres said:
That can happen anywhere. While I was there and I "erred on the side of caution" by locking up my passport in a safe at the hostel or wherever I was staying and carrying my sh!t with me or not bringing it our unless I knew I wopuld use. You have to use some common sense. I don't even think I'd bring the nano with me if I go back this winter.
Who would leave all that stuff in a car?! Locked or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
mtnpat said:
Who would leave all that stuff in a car?! Locked or not.
I totally agree. I'm an incredibly cautious traveler as well. I think they just figured that since they were within sight of the car, nobody would steal from three very buff surfers. Wrong. They were on their way somewhere when it happened, which is the only reason they had all that stuff with them. Pretty stupid if you ask me. Who needs an iPod and a laptop on vacation anyway?! The cameras and phones I can understand... They also lost a bunch of cash, which wasn't smart of them either...
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top