Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
No known cure
4,258 Posts
IMHO buying a complete bike and then upgrading all inferior components is more expensive. Complete bike is only worth it if you intend to ride it as is and the components (inc. wheels) are good enough.

If you have a specific bike and frame in mind, you can just price out what the "new complete bike + upgrades - selling take-offs" is compared to "frame+ components"

It also is harder to sell take-off parts that already are shortened since a potential buyer may not be able to fit them (i.e. short steerer, short brake hoses). also depends on your patience for the hassle selling the crap.
Take off parts aren't an issue in the used market if they come off a common size frame like a 18"/large

·
Registered
169 Posts
Why not consider buying the bike that is closer to what you want and replacing only the components you don't like? you can then sell them to get some money back.

It's what I usually do If I don't find a bike that suits me 100%.

·
Registered
706 Posts
My problem building is that I'm like a child in a candy store....why settle for a perfectly good bottom bracket when you can settle for a perfectly great bottom bracket?
When you make that exact decision 25 or so times you have an expensive, albeit quite nice, bike.

·
Get Down Do you
454 Posts
I have built and bought and honestly unless you are going for something particular buying is always cheaper. This last time I built was due to the pandemic and the bike company only had frames available so I went that route. I paid an obscene premium for parts and 10/10 would never do again but I was without a bike at the time, sold my old bike in December, and I was desperate to get riding again.

That being said it's nice looking at the bike and knowing I don't need to or have to upgrade anything. Then again it's fun to upgrade.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Why not consider buying the bike that is closer to what you want and replacing only the components you don't like? you can then sell them to get some money back.

It's what I usually do If I don't find a bike that suits me 100%.
This is my plan however I'm still liking the idea of building from the frame up.

·
Registered
169 Posts
This is my plan however I'm still liking the idea of building from the frame up.
If you can find something pre-built that's close to what you want, it doesn't make economical sense.

It may make sense in a personal satisfaction way though.

·
Single Track Mind
768 Posts
2) Most people build their bike from the frame up to get the exact parts spec they want in a bike instead of having to buy the whole bike and upgrading parts, which in the end can be more expensive. I’m not sure if anyone aims to build the exact same parts spec that they could have bought from a certain manufacturer.
^^^ This. I prefer to build my bikes from the frame up to get exactly what I want, so it is more expensive. I would never consider a frame up build using OEM level components. Now, my build might feature parts in common with a stock build---like an XO1 shifter and derailleur- for which I will pay a bit more, but it is worth it to me. I like what I like and when it comes to bikes, I don't compromise. I mean, damn, it's only money.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My problem building is that I'm like a child in a candy store....why settle for a perfectly good bottom bracket when you can settle for a perfectly great bottom bracket?
When you make that exact decision 25 or so times you have an expensive, albeit quite nice, bike.
Truest statement in the thread. My $6000 dollar build crossed the $10,000 marker before I knew it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
You can build as cheap as buying if you get a Chinese carbon frame for $350. It's the cost of a name brand frame that drives the build it yourself cost thru the roof. I'm OK with a no name Chinese road frame, cause I'm not beating the crap out of it, not so sure about a mt. frame, though lots of people do this with no issues.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I have no idea how much more it would cost buying new retail parts and building a bike compared to buying a complete bike. You could add all of that stuff into an online shopping cart and see what it comes out to.

I'm pretty sure the bike I built came out cheaper than if I bought it complete but it's gotten a bit more expensive lately with a few new upgrades made at full retail price. Originally it was built with either sale items or used but in very good condition.

Off the top of my head as the bike sits it adds up to about $3800. Since there are other parts that have come and gone the real total would be higher but those parts can be sold. The lightly used 2018 frame, lightly used fork and I bought the Shimano XT 1x11 drivetrain for a good sale price which saved a massive amount of money. Otherwise everything else is new. If it were a complete bike I guess it would be around $5,500?

Used 2018 Banshee Rune V2 frame w/ CC 40 headset and Shimano BB
Used DVO Diamond D1 (non boost)
XT 1x11 drivetrain taken from old bike but bought on sale
Crank Bros Candy 7 pedals new on sale
Crank Bros dropper new open box sale
DT Swiss 350 front hub (cheap on ebay)
DVO Jade X new but bought on sale
Spank Spike 800 Vibrocore bars new on sale (Christmas)
Cheap but strong Forté stem
Spank Spike 33 rims new full price
DT Swiss spokes and nipples new full price
Onyx Classic Rear hub new full price
Vittoria tires new full price
Jagwire cables

Eventually I intend on getting a DVO Onyx fork and an Onyx front hub to get my front end up to boost spacing. With that being new and most likely paying full retail the price for my bike is going to jump pretty high.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Sometimes brands will screw you on certain builds, I know Ibis will charge $1000 more for a groupset upgrade that isnt even worth half that, so its cheaper to buy the cheap build and then upgrade it yourself. Always pay attention to how much more a build costs and what you are getting.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts