Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ready to give a SS 29er a try. Cant afford a ton of money, but would like a steel frame and not a Dart 3, which seems to come on anything on the cheaper side. Anyone have any suggestions or leads. I really want something that could be upgraded to a better bike in stages. THX

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
tahoegold said:
Ready to give a SS 29er a try. Cant afford a ton of money, but would like a steel frame and not a Dart 3, which seems to come on anything on the cheaper side. Anyone have any suggestions or leads. I really want something that could be upgraded to a better bike in stages. THX
WHat is minimum fork that you want? What's your budget? Haro Mary is nice and under $1000, but rigid fork...need more info.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$$$

was thinking $500-750 or so. no rigid for me, im gettin old. just didnt want the lower end fork, ive never ridden the dart 3, but how good could it be? :skep:

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
A second hand Monocog and a new or second hand fork

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
tahoegold said:
was thinking $500-750 or so. no rigid for me, im gettin old. just didnt want the lower end fork, ive never ridden the dart 3, but how good could it be? :skep:
K that helps....ALL Dart forks suck imo....but there are worse. :D Dart 1, 2, and 3 all ride the same only difference is lockout iirc.

mitzikatzi said:
A second hand Monocog and a new or second hand fork
Yes.....RS Tora or higher fork. Reba is plusher but more $$$> Tora works fine.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
For that price, + steel + a decent shock, mitzikatzi called it. The best you're probably going to do is luck out on a rigid 29er in some classifieds, and put a shock on it from some other source.

Aluminum, you'd hit that budget a lot easier, but also being old, I know how that usually works out for cheap bikes and why you wouldn't want it.

·
errr...
310 Posts
I just picked up a steel 2010 SE Stout for $450. from my lbs. This is the least expensive bike i've ever bought and i like it alot! Very cool ss 29er.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts