Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,051 Posts
Also, with Alaska and now finally Delta, considering a bike to be another piece of luggage like skis and golf clubs, it's much easier to take it with you on vacation on your flight.

·
since 4/10/2009
32,007 Posts
It's been a long time since I've sold a bike on fleabay, but I had people balking at the shipping rate I charged. I wasn't somebody doing this as a hobby or with any frequency. I was just a guy selling something I owned but no longer wanted and wanted to break even on shipping. I ended up having to eat some of the cost of shipping because of it. Since I did that with such infrequency, I didn't have or know any of the tricks to do it cheaper. I stopped selling big stuff like that on ebay because of all the handwringing over the shipping costs. It seems like people who use the popular bike specific classifieds have less issue with those shipping costs, but I've even tried to avoid those and shipping stuff altogether lately.

As for transporting bikes in general, I can definitely attest to the sensitivity of the rates to box dimensions. Some years ago, I was traveling with my wife for one of her work conferences to Las Vegas. We would be there for a week, and I was going to spend most of the days riding. I rode 6 out of 7 days. When calculating out the cost of shipping the bikes vs. renting vs. bringing ours with us on the plane, bringing them on the plane won for being the cheapest. BUT, that's only because my own bike was so much bigger than my wife's. For her bike alone, shipping it (I checked bikeflights and shipbikes, who were similarly priced at the time) would have been the cheapest option by a good margin. But throw mine into the mix, and Southwest's $75 each way price ended up being the cheapest overall. IIRC, it ended up being half the cost of the shipping options.

One drawback to that option is that I ended up needing to do the assembly (and the packing for the return trip) in odd places. I ended up assembling our bikes in the parking lot of the little shop in Blue Diamond, NV. And then I had to pack up our bikes in our room in the Luxor. Which meant that I also had to pack a small tool kit in order to do that.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You do understand that bikeflights doesn't actually do the shipping or handling, right?
I am fully cognizant of how it works thank you. The point is that whoever the carrier or the agent is, damage is possible.

Since I take a non-stop flight I will now endure the hassle of bringing it with me rather than risk damage or delays.

·
Registered
15,458 Posts
I am fully cognizant of how it works thank you. The point is that whoever the carrier or the agent is, damage is possible.

Since I take a non-stop flight I will now endure the hassle of bringing it with me rather than risk damage or delays.

True but if you sold a bike on ebay that wouldn't be a very practical (or cost effective) way to ship it :p

Anecdotally, Over the years I've shipped and received hundreds of bikes via ups and damage during transport is very rare and usually very minor. If its packed well they could kick it through the door and it will be fine.

·
One ring to mash them all
2,967 Posts
I got a UPS account 6 months ago to ship stuff to my daughter at college. There has always been a 40% off code to use whenever I set up the shipment online (I just checked -- still available). I use my own boxes & packing and print the label, and can drop it at a UPS store without incurring any of the overcharges mentioned above. I haven't shipped anything as large as a bike, though.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks for all the input! Sorry if my post was not clear. This has been educational none the less. I was simply surprised at the high cost of shipping a bike to my son and asked the question as I might begin selling a few bikes again on ebay. It seems the shipping costs have increased dramatically over the last few years and I don't want to either lose my but on shipping or not sell anything due to what appear to be high costs. Thanks all.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,455 Posts
Anyone know anything about shipbikes.com? Heard they’re cheaper than bike flights.
I've used them several times. Excellent, and the cheapest way I found.

For about $50 they come right to my door and pick up the packed bike/box. Or I just leave it at work when the shipper stops by(they use fedex) shipping and receiving.

The box takes the bike and my gear, total weight less than 65lbs IIRC. That way I only bring a carry on with the rest of my gear arriving ahead of time at a local bike shop or hotel.

If pressed for time I pay the bike shop to re-assemble my bike.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I wanted to provide a quick update. I just sold my first frameset in years on eBay. Not a complete bike, but a frameset plus stem and seat post. I paid $65.75 to ship it standard USPS ground from NC to Washington. Basically coast to coast. So I guess approximately $100 for a complete bike is very common.

·
Registered
15,458 Posts
I wanted to provide a quick update. I just sold my first frameset in years on eBay. Not a complete bike, but a frameset plus stem and seat post. I paid $65.75 to ship it standard USPS ground from NC to Washington. Basically coast to coast. So I guess approximately $100 for a complete bike is very common.

Bikeflights will ship a complete bike from/to those destinations for less than $80 on average.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I clearly need to check out Bikeflights. Can they be used when selling bikes or do they focus on shipping your bike somewhere for you to ride? Can they be used to ship a frame or frameset?

·
No Clue Crew
7,256 Posts
Those rates don't include insuring the package. I just shipped a Ripmo frame from Phoenix to Tahoe, in a frame-size box. It weighed 20 pounds total (6+ pounds of frame, 14 pounds of packaging).

It cost $74; nearly half of that was insuring it for the full value of what I sold the frame for. If you don't insure it and it gets damaged, you lose. At least, that's my experience.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Sold and Shipped two bikes in the past 2 weeks using bikeflights. I packed them up at home and dropped them off pre labeled at a UPS store. They were both $88 from Upstate NY to SC and MI respectively.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I definitely recommend comparing shipbikes with bikeflights prices, I have shipped 2 bikes and a set of wheels in the last 6 months and shipbikes was cheaper every time and everything went smoothly(goes through FedEx).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
All the companies you have listed are asking a lot of money to deliver the item. When I wanted to send my brother a guitar that I ordered from England, I decided to do it using FedEx. And at first, they didn't tell me the price, they only told me how much it would cost. Then I tracked every step of this parcel, and when it arrived, I was sent a massive receipt for delivery! To be honest, I was shocked at the time that for one guitar that costs$ 250, I have to pay about $ 100-150. It's outrageous. Therefore, look at some other companies that deliver goods, maybe there are cheaper ones, and if not, you will have to spend money.

____

UK Mail Tracking

·
Registered
988 Posts
I have two quick tips for shipping a bike.

1. As soon as you take the wheels off, put a spacer into your brake calipers. This will prevent overextended pistons that can be a pain.

2. Cut two pieces of 1/2 or 3/4 PVC pike the exact width of the space between the dropouts. Use the axle to hold them in place during shipping. Many bikes are damaged by pushing the dropouts together during shipping.

Have a great trip.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts