Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Trek/GF Wahoo. I noticed some bubbling around the bottle mounts on the bottom side of the frame.

Pictures:

Should I be worried? Would this be a frame warranty issue?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Magically Delicious
9,858 Posts
You have a surface corrosion where the paint is lifted off the surface in small blisters which result from the pressure of the underlying accumulation of corrosion products. More specifically you are experiencing Filiform corrosion that gives the appearance of a series of small worms under the paint surface and where it's worse, larger bubbles. It is often seen on surfaces that have been improperly chemically treated prior to painting, but not always.

This is one of the more predominate corrosion types found on aircraft. It's very treatable, but requires removal of the overlying paint and immediate surrounding area. Then physical removal of the corrosion followed by neutralizing , alodining, and painting.

Filiform corrosion.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think it will spread? Will it harm the integrity of the frame? I'd really rather not be stripping the paint off my pretty bike. :(

Anybody know if this would be something covered by the trek frame warranty?

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Almost certainly not. Blemishes are rarely covered by warranty, but you can bring it to the shop and ask them to call Trek.

·
Magically Delicious
9,858 Posts
Do you think it will spread? Will it harm the integrity of the frame? I'd really rather not be stripping the paint off my pretty bike. :(

Anybody know if this would be something covered by the trek frame warranty?
Yes, it will continue to spread, but it will be slow. It would likely take a very long time to truly affect the integrity of the frame from a structural point of view. While it's understandable that you wouldn't wish to remove any paint, it's the only way to go. You could treat and rectify the immediate area of corrosion and mask and paint small black or silver circles around the holes and they would look like they were done that way from the factory. I wouldn't let it continue to advance though.

I think there could be a possibility that Trek might cover it, but I wouldn't expect it. Take note that as stated above, it's not a blemish. It's not corrosion that started from a blemish. It's a failure of the paint to properly adhere on an area surrounding the rivenuts (water bottle mounts) that could be argued was the result of improper frame preparation prior to final paint. You could push your point and hopefully get favorable results. However, given the time frame, I'm not sure of success, but I would certainly push it.

·
Magically Delicious
9,858 Posts
If you don't receive favorable response from the Trec Dealer that you sent the pictures to, don't be shy about escalating this problem up the command chain directly to Trec if necessary. I don't feel this is anything less than a warranty issue given the situation. In the worst case you have to correct the corrosion yourself and in a best case you get a new frame out of the deal. Although possible, I doubt you'll get a new frame, but I have seen some good things come directly from the factory when escalated to those levels. Well executed letters to the right people can work wonders. Good Luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts