Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a previous thread in which a poster said he had gotten Nokian NBX 2.0 Lites that weighed from 521g to 541grams.......I then went and weighed one of my two new ones.
I reported that the one I weighed was about 520 grams!

I was WRONG.....

First of all, as I stated, I do not use the most accurate scale.....but that was not where my mistake was made.....

Since I had already put one of the two new Nokians on the bike but still had the empty box sitting right there, I decided to just put the "still in the box" Nokian on the scale and then subtract the empty box from that similar weight.......

A little lazy, I know.....but the logic was OK

Here is where the problem occured.. I also have a couple other old NOkian boxes in the corner. Upon further inspection I see that of the two new Nokians, the boxes look almost identical.......but when you look real close, you can now see that in fact, they are using a slightly different box.....so my system of weighing no longer made sense.
The new box is slightly heavier.

OK.....So upon weighing the new Nokian now, using my imperfect scale, I now have reading of about 495 to 500 grams and after taking off the other new Nokian which I had mounted days ago, I now find it weighed about 495 grams, again using my rather unreliable scale.......
By contrast, the Nokian I removed which was worn almost completely smooth in the center row of knobs....weighed 465 grams on the same scale.. How much the wear drops the weight is the question....but it certainly takes it down some.

As I said in the previous post, this is a hanging spring scale, which has 20 gram lines so 5 or even 10 grams mistakes could occur as I try to interpret it using a magnifying glass.

So in conclusion, perhaps my set of new Nokians is a bit heavier than my previous ones, but only by a tiny amount and thus, I am no longer concerned regarding any impact that may have on the tire's rolling resistance.
As such, I'll continue to use this tire.....AND perhaps I should invest in a better scale along with better weighing protocols.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
get a gram scale...

that makes your girlfriend/wife happy too as she can use it in the kitchen and we gram-wheenies can use it in the garage... a perfect gift for your better half;)

·
On your left.
1,188 Posts
my new NBX is way over weight

Chester said:
In a previous thread in which a poster said he had gotten Nokian NBX 2.0 Lites that weighed from 521g to 541grams.......I then went and weighed one of my two new ones.
I reported that the one I weighed was about 520 grams!

I was WRONG.....

First of all, as I stated, I do not use the most accurate scale.....but that was not where my mistake was made.....

Since I had already put one of the two new Nokians on the bike but still had the empty box sitting right there, I decided to just put the "still in the box" Nokian on the scale and then subtract the empty box from that similar weight.......

A little lazy, I know.....but the logic was OK

Here is where the problem occured.. I also have a couple other old NOkian boxes in the corner. Upon further inspection I see that of the two new Nokians, the boxes look almost identical.......but when you look real close, you can now see that in fact, they are using a slightly different box.....so my system of weighing no longer made sense.
The new box is slightly heavier.

OK.....So upon weighing the new Nokian now, using my imperfect scale, I now have reading of about 495 to 500 grams and after taking off the other new Nokian which I had mounted days ago, I now find it weighed about 495 grams, again using my rather unreliable scale.......
By contrast, the Nokian I removed which was worn almost completely smooth in the center row of knobs....weighed 465 grams on the same scale.. How much the wear drops the weight is the question....but it certainly takes it down some.

As I said in the previous post, this is a hanging spring scale, which has 20 gram lines so 5 or even 10 grams mistakes could occur as I try to interpret it using a magnifying glass.

So in conclusion, perhaps my set of new Nokians is a bit heavier than my previous ones, but only by a tiny amount and thus, I am no longer concerned regarding any impact that may have on the tire's rolling resistance.
As such, I'll continue to use this tire.....AND perhaps I should invest in a better scale along with better weighing protocols.
I weighed my new NBX lite (26 x 2.0/ 50-559). 545g! I use a very accurate Ohaus 4100g capacity scale. Oh well, rolling resistance is most important, right? I hope that means this tire is more durable than the last one I had.

BTW, I also weighed the following:
Kenda Blue Groove lite 2.0: 480g
Kenda Karma L3R stick-e: 480g
Scwhalbe Racing Ralph 2.1: 500g

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
lighter ones...

morati said:
Maybe I received an earlier pair but mine weigh 458 and 462 respectively. Love these tires!
that's what lighter ones usually weigh. so far the weight range i personally saw in ca. 30 tires was 450-490g.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Motivated said:
I weighed my new NBX lite (26 x 2.0/ 50-559). 545g! I use a very accurate Ohaus 4100g capacity scale. Oh well, rolling resistance is most important, right? I hope that means this tire is more durable than the last one I had.

BTW, I also weighed the following:
Kenda Blue Groove lite 2.0: 480g
Kenda Karma L3R stick-e: 480g
Scwhalbe Racing Ralph 2.1: 500g
what happened to your last ones? lemme guess..... sidewall tear? running tubeless or no?

I'm apprehensive about ths tire blowing out on a local trail that has steep 100 foot drops with lots of rocks, braking bumps and cliffs on one side.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
stonethrow said:
steep 100 foot drops with lots of rocks, braking bumps and cliffs on one side.
sounds like the perfect terrain for the skinny Nokian NBX Lite;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
The twister works well but it might be a little wet this weekend so I wanted something with a little more meat.

I'm just worried about all the sidewall tears I hear about. I have never torn a sidewall and I have run twister/explorers for 4 years and ride about 10,000 miles a year

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
if Twisters are ok...

stonethrow said:
The twister works well but it might be a little wet this weekend so I wanted something with a little more meat.

I'm just worried about all the sidewall tears I hear about. I have never torn a sidewall and I have run twister/explorers for 4 years and ride about 10,000 miles a year
if Twisters are doing fine then you will have no problems with the Nokian either!
but the Nokian is faster and has tons of grip which will make you faster, definitely!
and the higher knobs already give you some prrotection where the "semislick" Twister is much easier to get a flat.
i run the NBX lite 2.0" with Eclipse Tubelesskit at 39 psi (i weigh 152 lbs). any softer and it starts feeling wobbly, and with too high pressure it can feel strange on hardpack since the tiny , soft knobs tend to get folded. you have to find the ideal pressure with this tire.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Working on a Nokian NBX 2.0 Light mileage record

nino said:
if Twisters are doing fine then you will have no problems with the Nokian either!
but the Nokian is faster and has tons of grip which will make you faster, definitely!
and the higher knobs already give you some prrotection where the "semislick" Twister is much easier to get a flat.
i run the NBX lite 2.0" with Eclipse Tubelesskit at 39 psi (i weigh 152 lbs). any softer and it starts feeling wobbly, and with too high pressure it can feel strange on hardpack since the tiny , soft knobs tend to get folded. you have to find the ideal pressure with this tire.
Nino, thought you might like to know about my "record" mileage on my rear Nokian...
I injured myself last August or September and as such most of my miles have been on the road.....not the best road......a bit rough... And some on dirt..

Anyway, my present rear Nokian started out on the front and then as the knobs wore down I moved it to the back... So I am talking about the mileage on one tire, now on the rear. BTW, I have another Nokian on the front of my hardtail.

OK......I'm not sure how long it was on the front. I'd have to check my records, but probably under 1,000 miles.......before it went onto the rear...
I just looked at the ODO and its now over 2,800 miles!!!!! (combined miles first on the front and now on the rear) I never thought one Nokian 2.0 light could go so far.

I can't believe it. After I shifted it to the rear, the knobs began to go down quickly and then as they got smoother and smoother, the wearing slowed way down...
As you can imagine, it really flys on the road with so little "center" tread..
Normal psi on the road is 52-54 front and 55-56 rear.

A few questions.......
1. How will I know when its gone too too far, other than seeing some threads showing?
2. Do ya think when the knobs are gone, its still thicker than most road tires?
3.. Any danger of a structural "blowout" at 30-40 mph as it wears more and more.
( I mean there has to be some limit)
4. Ever hear of a 2.0 Light with that "soft" rubber going this far?
5.. Do you think, now that its smooth on the back, I'm getting Nokian rolling resistance benefits that are far superior to what other mtn tires would get after they became smooth?
(I imagine I am, but just wanted to see what you thought)

You know, it still doesn't do that bad on the dirt since the side knobs are still there and the front tire still has some knobs in the center.
When I'm drafting behind some roadies going downhill I have to keep tapping the brakes so I don't creep up on their rear wheel :p

·
Registered
150 Posts
well, I got my first ride on the tire today. I was running an explorer on the front and an NBX lite on the rear. I liked this tire. The only negative was thay I really noticed the 150 gram difference between my twister and this. Braking was good, cornering was exceptional..... best tire I can remember. RR seemed good. Did pretty good in the small rooty/slightly muddy climb after a creek too.

I'm tired and the real test will be tomorrow. Today was just an XC type ride tomorrow will be lots of rocks, 1-2 foot drops and tons of short, steep hills around a limestone quarry.

also, I didn't notice the damping properties of the tire. I would say on par with any 1.9-2.0 tire. Maybe on the smallest stuff I noticed it. My girlfriend had a python and it was super soft. I didn't notice the "flat feeling" either from the back. This is a good thing.

good tire, will see how it goes tomorrow.

·
LE Reporter
81 Posts
Nokian NBX Lite 2.0

eurorider said:
I think there is a wire beaded version of the tire as well ...is yours foldable?
Mine is definitely foldable and is 550 g in slightly used, but dry and clean condition.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
i'm no scientist...

Chester said:
Nino, thought you might like to know about my "record" mileage on my rear Nokian...
I injured myself last August or September and as such most of my miles have been on the road.....not the best road......a bit rough... And some on dirt..

Anyway, my present rear Nokian started out on the front and then as the knobs wore down I moved it to the back... So I am talking about the mileage on one tire, now on the rear. BTW, I have another Nokian on the front of my hardtail.

OK......I'm not sure how long it was on the front. I'd have to check my records, but probably under 1,000 miles.......before it went onto the rear...
I just looked at the ODO and its now over 2,800 miles!!!!! (combined miles first on the front and now on the rear) I never thought one Nokian 2.0 light could go so far.

I can't believe it. After I shifted it to the rear, the knobs began to go down quickly and then as they got smoother and smoother, the wearing slowed way down...
As you can imagine, it really flys on the road with so little "center" tread..
Normal psi on the road is 52-54 front and 55-56 rear.

A few questions.......
1. How will I know when its gone too too far, other than seeing some threads showing?
2. Do ya think when the knobs are gone, its still thicker than most road tires?
3.. Any danger of a structural "blowout" at 30-40 mph as it wears more and more.
( I mean there has to be some limit)
4. Ever hear of a 2.0 Light with that "soft" rubber going this far?
5.. Do you think, now that its smooth on the back, I'm getting Nokian rolling resistance benefits that are far superior to what other mtn tires would get after they became smooth?
(I imagine I am, but just wanted to see what you thought)

You know, it still doesn't do that bad on the dirt since the side knobs are still there and the front tire still has some knobs in the center.
When I'm drafting behind some roadies going downhill I have to keep tapping the brakes so I don't creep up on their rear wheel :p
it's cool your happy but i change mine A LOT more. i'd say i do about 400 miles before i replace them anyway. they still show 50% of knobs but i need perfect grip going down...and over here we have some rain and therefore humid/wet trails here and there so i definitely need good knobs.

if RR gets better? i don't know. i never had a "semislick" NBX;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I rode about 25 miles today at a very rocky place with lots of climbs. The nokian's did excellent. The weight was quite obvious so I'm going to get some flyweight 1.9/2.1's or ultralight 1.5/1.75 just for them. which would you choose? They had great traction, good RR but the weight is killing me. :(

averaged 12.1 MPH at a pretty technical place. I usually average about the same with my twister.

·
On your left.
1,188 Posts
last time

stonethrow said:
what happened to your last ones? lemme guess..... sidewall tear? running tubeless or no?

I'm apprehensive about ths tire blowing out on a local trail that has steep 100 foot drops with lots of rocks, braking bumps and cliffs on one side.
A year or so ago I bought into the NBX craze. That tire did roll well, but I felt it climbed poorly. I only used it in the rear. Essentially the problem for me was low sidewall structure. This led to unpredictable braking, cornering and powering out of corners. The knobbies routinely got sheared off (actually rarely all the way off - they would always be hanging on and looked OK). I did run them at about 50psi, which is not recommended, but it was required at my 185lb weight to keep from burping at the bead. I never had any blowout problems, but the sidewalls were prone to scuffing and I did have one 1/4" gash which I repaired.

Also, my tire is definietly folding

I should post the weight at weight weenies.

I bought the tire through Airbomb.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I felt they had good climbing traction and excellent cornering traction. They seem like they should last longer than a twister. They have noticable wear after 50 miles. The nokian's don't show signs of wear.

I'm still not going to use it for the race this weekend. Python if the course is rough, twister if it isn't. My tire is noticably heavier than a python.

I don't understand all the sidewall problems. these are some thick ass tires. The rubber is dense. Thicker than every tire I own with the most knobby being a pair of mythos and a pair of firxcpro 2.1's

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here are my five Nokian NBX Lite 2.0 tires: 486.1g, 489.5g, 490.1g, 492.8g and 493.8g. I am a little bit disappointed with those weights, expecting rather 460-470g :mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your big problem is that elalstic band

doktoree said:
Here are my five Nokian NBX Lite 2.0 tires: 486.1g, 489.5g, 490.1g, 492.8g and 493.8g. I am a little bit disappointed with those weights, expecting rather 460-470g :mad:
Looking at your pics it seems to me that the big problem is all the lighter ones don't have the elastic band, while all the heavier ones are bound with the elastic.
Remember with all that tension in the elastic (rubber band) you are containing lots of "unsprung" weight which we all know is the heaviest weight.....uh, er, next to the dreadful "rotational" weight, which is 8 times heavier than nice peaceful docile weight.

Let all those Nokians relax and then weigh them again......without the elastic.
Report back :p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts