Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
100% italian mtbiker
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, yesterday I tested my very first led, an XR-E R2 on star, the one sold at DX.
I soldered only 1 + and 1 -, wired to buckpuck1000 and connected to a power supply.
I measured the amperage between the psu and the buckpuck, and it gave around 500mA, slightly decreasing when increasing the voltage.

Is that normal? Shouldn't the R2 go to 1000mA? Do I have to wire both the Pluses and Minuses on the star? (I've seen there are 2 cores inside the led).

Or do I have to measure the amperage between the buck and the led?

I'm puzzled.

Thanks.

·
aka RossC
936 Posts
The amperage between the battery and the driver vs between the driver and the LED will almost always be different.

If you would like to confirm that your R2 is actually receiving 1000mA, then you need to check between R2 and the driver. In most cases, the amperage battery and driver is irrelevant.

Did you do what I did when i first wired an LED and looked straight at it when you powered it up?

Oh, and have a read of this http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=150172

Best to ensure you don't break the circuit with the driver powered up as it is possible to damage the driver.

·
100% italian mtbiker
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
of course I did. those things are bright, indeed. X_O

So I don't need to wire all the +es right?

ps. I'm taking pics, will post a brief guide when the build is done.

·
aka RossC
936 Posts
mdsjack said:
of course I did. those things are bright, indeed. X_O

So I don't need to wire all the +es right?

ps. I'm taking pics, will post a brief guide when the build is done.
I read this to mean... Do i need to connect a wire to both + terminals on the star and both - terminals on the star?

No, you don't need to connect them all. There are just multiple tabs so that you can have your choice for whichever one is most appropriate given the spacial restrictions you are working with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts