Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Mountain Man Dan
Joined
·
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the correct position in which a skewer for your wheel should be closed. Facing upwards, down, sideways? Or does it not matter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
914 Posts
I always do mine facing upwards on wheels. You don't want it down or forward as if something catches it (branch, rock, root, etc) it can flip it open and you don't really want that. For seat posts I put it at what ever doesn't bother me or will get cought on my shorts.
 

·
Mountain Man Dan
Joined
·
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been doing the front at about 11 o clock( cant go straight up because of fork), and rear at 10 o clock facing the front of the bike.
 

·
The White Jeff W
Joined
·
5,712 Posts
ProjectDan35 said:
I've been doing the front at about 11 o clock( cant go straight up because of fork), and rear at 10 o clock facing the front of the bike.
I usually do the front straight up the fork tube and the rear facing backwards in a position where I can get my fingers under it. :thumbsup:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
ProjectDan35 said:
Just wondering what the correct position in which a skewer for your wheel should be closed. Facing upwards, down, sideways? Or does it not matter?
Depends on the fork and frame.

Since I put the QR lever on the right side on the front, it is usually back with suspension forks. I may have it back or parallel to the fork leg on a rigid.

On the rear the dropout shape tends to dictate the position. Mainly you need to make sure the lever can close completely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
ProjectDan35 said:
I've been doing the front at about 11 o clock( cant go straight up because of fork), and rear at 10 o clock facing the front of the bike.
Ditto on that. My front skewer is a DT Swiss, ratchet-style and its lever won't clear the bottom of the suspension fork for a 3 O'Clock position so I position it pointing at about 12 O'Clock as close as possible against the front of the fork without actually making contact with it.

As an old roadie, I am accustomed to pointing the rear skewer lever at about 10 O'Clock between the seat and chain stays. When riding in a group that prevents a rider from behind accidentally hooking the front of his wheel inside the lever and flipping it open. I have never seen it happen but friends say they have. In my experience, mountain bikers seldom ride that close together so I usually adjust the rear skewer handle to point at 2:00 to 3:00 O'Clock.

Like someone else already said, position both skewer levers so they will complely close and are not likely to snag on something while riding.
 

·
Jason
Joined
·
590 Posts
Why does it matter how your skewers are clocked? As long as they aren't in danger of snagging anything on the trail and they are tight enough so as to not allow a wheel to fall off... it doesn't matter.
 

·
Mountain Man Dan
Joined
·
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dexetr30 said:
Why does it matter how your skewers are clocked? As long as they aren't in danger of snagging anything on the trail and they are tight enough so as to not allow a wheel to fall off... it doesn't matter.
The reason I asked this is because I put them in a proper position. My LBS always puts them in a position in which they could snag something, or get un-latched. :skep:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
ProjectDan35 said:
The reason I asked this is because I put them in a proper position. My LBS always puts them in a position in which they could snag something, or get un-latched. :skep:
Obviously your view of "proper" is different than theirs.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top