Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon guys,

I am putting in some Muc-Off valve stems this weekend. Up to this point, I've only had the tires off once to replace a couple bad stems. Never messed with the rim tape on my 27.5 X 2.3s. Should I go with Muc-Off rim tape or Stans? I have Stans fluid ready to go. Do I need two complete wraps or just one?

Thanks

Sid

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I usually use Stans. It's fine. It's difficult to get it to lay down flat. I think I spend like 20 mins a wheel massaging it and making sure it sticks. Haven't used muc-off, but I like there cleaners. I have only done one complete lap (with an an overlap of 6-8 inches). The only time I have issues are when I didn't make sure that the tape was flat all over.

·
EDR
10,792 Posts
I've only used Stans, it's fine but I've heard good things about muc off.

One wrap is fine for mtb tire pressures, imo. Over 40 or so psi then two wraps might be better for stans.

My advice, don't get too wide with Stans. If it creeps up the rim walls it can get damaged when changing tires.

Fyi...Tesa tape 4289 is what Stans rebrands as their own label (from what I have read, not confirmed) and can be had cheap online.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
jalepenio jimenez
863 Posts
You could also go with Fatty Strippers rim strip (bling strip) and Fatty Stripper latex liner for a bombproof setup. I've used them on two fat bikes and have had no regrets.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
putting on my flame suit, but Gorilla tape has served me well. Even have my current bike ghetto tubeless with it and it's holding air as well as my son's bike with "real" rim tape. :)
My previous bike/wheels were done witg Gorilla. It works but id recommend something else. Its slightly porous and sealant starts leaking through it. The bits od leftover adhesive are also a pain to clean. The few good things about it is easily available and easy to cut to desired width, just start a cut and then rip it aas you go along. Its thick so for ghetto tubeless can make it easier/ tighter for tires to seal and seat.

·
Registered
Obsessively progressing
285 Posts
My previous bike/wheels were done witg Gorilla. It works but id recommend something else. Its slightly porous and sealant starts leaking through it. The bits od leftover adhesive are also a pain to clean. The few good things about it is easily available and easy to cut to desired width, just start a cut and then rip it aas you go along. Its thick so for ghetto tubeless can make it easier/ tighter for tires to seal and seat.
I double wrapped and good so far. Not looking forward to cleaning it later but oh well

·
Registered
435 Posts
Helmet Fire Flame Hazard Firefighter

Here it is. Gorilla tape?!?! You gotta be kidding me. You're a menace to society and are going to bankrupt the entire bike industry.
Haha I love when someone finds a good work around to over priced "specialty" items. I'd just be worried that it would be too sticky to get off if it springs a leak and I need to replace it.

·
Administrator
12,433 Posts
View attachment 1950748

Here it is. Gorilla tape?!?! You gotta be kidding me. You're a menace to society and are going to bankrupt the entire bike industry.
Haha I love when someone finds a good work around to over priced "specialty" items. I'd just be worried that it would be too sticky to get off if it springs a leak and I need to replace it.
I used gorilla tape for years but the sticky thing really bothered me. It also travelled in warm weather and would grab the beads on tires if they were sharp making seating more difficult (specifically on my gravel tires). The powder coating tape is what I think stans tape is. Doesn't stretch well but adheres really well, is chemically inert and doesn't leak. I have wheels setup for more than 2 years with this tape and nothing has happened to them.

Edit: (Different link to similar product: https://www.amazon.com/High-Temp-Ma...GUFMBVY/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B01GUFMBVY&psc=1)

·
Registered
435 Posts
I used gorilla tape for years but the sticky thing really bothered me. It also travelled in warm weather and would grab the beads on tires if they were sharp making seating more difficult (specifically on my gravel tires). The powder coating tape is what I think stans tape is. Doesn't stretch well but adheres really well, is chemically inert and doesn't leak. I have wheels setup for more than 2 years with this tape and nothing has happened to them.

Edit: (Different link to similar product: https://www.amazon.com/High-Temp-Ma...GUFMBVY/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B01GUFMBVY&psc=1)

Thanks!! I just bought some from your link. I'm sure Amazon will be sending you the advertising commission check promptly. I have a few bikes I need to redo.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Funny thing is, I'm a Reliability Engineer for ShurTape and all their Duck brands. I went to our marketing dept. and told them we need to add MTB rim tape to our offerings. they're too busy with Frogger tape. :)
Can I just use wider tape if thats all the LBS has and just razor it back?

Thanks again and have a good weekend.

Sid

·
Registered
19,356 Posts
Correct width is important and 3-5mm wider than the rims inside width best imo. (e.g 30mm tape for 26mm rim) Stans or any similar tape that's available in multiple different widths is good.

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
Afternoon guys,

I am putting in some Muc-Off valve stems this weekend. Up to this point, I've only had the tires off once to replace a couple bad stems. Never messed with the rim tape on my 27.5 X 2.3s. Should I go with Muc-Off rim tape or Stans? I have Stans fluid ready to go. Do I need two complete wraps or just one?

Thanks

Sid
Why are you redoing the tape? If it's in good shape, I'd just put the valves in and be done.
Anyway, I've used both and they're both fine. They come with instructions, which I think say about 1.5 wraps.

·
Registered
Status 140, NS Suburban
465 Posts
Used Stans and gorilla tape from Home Depot on multiple wheels - work just fine;

I do not think it will make any difference at all what you are using;

Neither sealant or valve, have equal success with stans, no names ets

Cheers

·
EDR
10,792 Posts
Just for clarification Stans tape or Tesa 4289 it's not the same as the powder coating green tape. Nonetheless either will work, and perhaps the powder coating tape even better. But for me I have to ask myself what is better? I apply Stan's tape and it works perfectly. No need to research much further. Powder coating tape I've never tried but I've read online from plenty of people who have with good success.

I won't bother ever trying gorilla tape simply because of what I read about the residue. The Stan's/ Tesa tape comes off cleanly and instantly with zero residue... and if purchased under a non brand name is cheap enough for me as compared to gorilla tape from home depot. Besides for me I seem to retape my two bikes once a year or so after I have gacked them up, so the cost isn't the biggest driving factor in my purchase. Ease of use is.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Obsessively progressing
285 Posts
View attachment 1950748

A mechanic of thirty years I know uses gorilla tape exclusively. I dunno

·
Registered
Obsessively progressing
285 Posts

I’ve only ever used properly sized width tape. Do you overlap it for wider rims or buy wider tape?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I’ve found that when installing tires with inserts the likelihood of doing damage to the tape increases. With impeccable form you can get a tire over a cushcore sans lever, but I don’t have that level of patience because trying to parent a toddler in the pandemic. I go at it with a lever and all the pent up rage. Stan’s tape or similar can’t handle the violence, but DT Swiss tape shrugs it off.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.